Low Blood Pressure (Read 4208 times)

arotrame

Last time I was at the doctor the nurse commented on my blood pressure. She said. "Wow, you're blood pressure is really low compared to the last time you were here." She said it was 100/55. I'm not fit. I'm about 30/40 pounds overweight and just keeping this body moving while I run/walk is a struggle. The doctor didn't mention a word to me about it and I didn't really think much of it (I was there for a broken ankle.) I was strolling though Walgreens the other day and stopped at the little machines and checked my blood pressure. It was 96/55. I feel tired all the time but I just attributed it to the new school year, coaching, etc. I have a long line of familiy history with heart disease...mom had her first of three heart attacks at 41 and a grandpa died at 45 of a heart attack and my grandma at 88. Is my low blood pressure a good thing in relation to my families history of heart disease or a bad thing?
      My grandfather had low blood pressure and I have low blood pressure. Weird thing is, my grandfather had heart problems and died of a heart attack when he was 71. I used to associate high blood pressure with heart issues, but I'm quickly learning otherwise. Have you had your iron levels checked too? Low iron makes me tired and sluggish all the time. I passed out a lot last year when I was running and biking, and my dr. said it was because of my low BP - not enough circulation to keep oxygen flowing to my head. It's scary, isn't it? I'd say to check with your dr. because they can prescribe low BP meds, suggest an iron suppliment if you need one, or figure out if there is something else that might be the cause of your tiredness.
      "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Last time I was at the doctor the nurse commented on my blood pressure. She said. "Wow, you're blood pressure is really low compared to the last time you were here." She said it was 100/55. I'm not fit. I'm about 30/40 pounds overweight and just keeping this body moving while I run/walk is a struggle. The doctor didn't mention a word to me about it and I didn't really think much of it (I was there for a broken ankle.) I was strolling though Walgreens the other day and stopped at the little machines and checked my blood pressure. It was 96/55. I feel tired all the time but I just attributed it to the new school year, coaching, etc. I have a long line of familiy history with heart disease...mom had her first of three heart attacks at 41 and a grandpa died at 45 of a heart attack and my grandma at 88. Is my low blood pressure a good thing in relation to my families history of heart disease or a bad thing?
        Hmmm...100/55 is about the same as mine. I think mine was 100/60 last time I had it checked. I mostly need to be careful not to stand up too fast or I see stars and need to grab something to keep from falling. In terms of heart disease issues, lower BP should be a lot safer than the alternative. Hopefully Trent will wander in with some advice.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

I have low blood pressure, and during of times of stress my blood pressure tends to drop. I got the "Oh you're a runner, your blood pressure is great" line until I passed out in the doctors office and had a blood pressure then of 75/35 and had a heart arthymia. My advice to you would be make sure and drink enough water, my blood volumne was low and was the reason my dropped. My other advice is you are one who should probably NOT limit salt in your diet. I was constantly tired and couldn't figure it out, the healtheir I tried to eat the worse I felt. Trent will tell you, eating potatoe chips with salsa not a bad thing.

Bugs

arotrame

Thanks for all the info everyone.
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

For folks who sweat a lot and who do not have hypertension, kidney disease or congestive heart disease, eating potato chips with salsa not a bad thing.
              pitrunner

My mom was found unconscious last month after months and months of being dizzy. After tons of testing they realized her blood pressure, which is normally very low, was dipping even further and along with that her heart rate was falling. One of the things her doc recommended was to increase the salt in her diet. I don't think I'd consider really low BP a good thing. My Pop Pop has struggled with really low BP for a long time. He's tired and icky a lot and has had heart attacks.

Jazz hands!

I also have really low blood pressure (I think it was 96 / 60 last time I gave blood), but a really high pulse, especially for a runner--it was 90 last time it got checked (same time as blood pressure). I'd just finished off a big mug of coffee, but are those two things related?
                  run run run AHHHHHH run run run

A Saucy Wench

squeaky - I dont think so, my BP is very low usually 90-100/55-60 and my RESTING pulse is 48-52 (pulse in docs office after caffeine about ready to get stuck with a needle--completely random, I'd probably be around 90 also). Dh has a moderate BP 110-60 and a very low resting pulse - he has measured as low as 38 but it is usually 42/43 I dont ever seem to get dizzy spells. Every once in a rare while. But like my salt Big grin (but not salsa on POTATO chips Tongue)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Scout7

I would think that your doctor would say something if he/she felt it was an issue. If you are concerned, I'd ask the doc.
                        The OP's bp is considered in the normal range. Mine is usually about that low as well. It's possible your pulse is higher because your heart is trying to compensate for the lower bp (my doctor told me that's possible). I had open heart surgery three years ago for a mitral valve repair (congenital). It took at least a year for my system to get back to normal. I played around a lot with the salt and water combinations. I think at one point I was actually drinking too much water AND consuming too much salt. I've cut back on both and feel much better. A nurse recently told me not to consume too much of each -- just more water or more salt but not both. So maybe try increasing your water intake. If that doesn't feel better, cut back on it and then increase your salt. You might find a combination that works. (Note: My cardiologist said that even a pulse around 90 is considered normal, but probably not much higher than that). Lower blood pressure is actually a better indicator of longevity than a low resting heart rate.

Jazz hands!

Lower blood pressure is actually a better indicator of longevity than a low resting heart rate.
                          I like that. I'm one of those people who basically can't get enough salt (and yes, I use the low blood pressure to justify it). Soy sauce is pretty much my favorite food. Since I started running about two years ago, I've gone from not having a sweet tooth to actively disliking anything sugary (with exceptions), but my love for all things salty has skyrocketed. Yet my blood pressure has actually gone down, and I think ennay has an excellent point about taking my pulse when I'm about to be stuck with a giant needle.
                          run run run AHHHHHH run run run