Home Remedies for a Cold (Read 649 times)

BTW, maker, my sister lives not too far from you, by Knightstown. If you've been on the roads, and seen a really skinny lady go flying by on a bike at close to the speed limit, that may have been her!
    I have yet to go to Knightstown just yet. I'm still a bachelor, so I usually stay at work, my house next to my work, or on the roads. I've seen a few of the local bikers around here, but no women. My fiance is actually applying at some schools in Knightstown for teaching jobs.

SMART Approach

My two cents. If you have a strong immune system, you generally will not get sick. So prevention is key. Being nutritionally sound is key, getting enough sleep and controlling stress. A positive attitude also helps. I take so many things and various adaptogenic herbs like Rhodiola, Yerba Mate and other immune strengthening herbs like Olive Leaf Extract, Green Tea, Grapeseed Extract, Rhododendron, Curcumin (Tumeric). I generally get a cold every other year and will crank up the above and add more Vit. C, Elderberry, Umcka and potent essential oils from TERRY NATURALLY. The cold will generally be very mild and 3-4 days. I am not a fan of echinacea especially on a regular basis as it can over stimulate the immune system and be counterproductive.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Certifiably Insane

I am not a fan of echinacea especially on a regular basis as it can over stimulate the immune system and be counterproductive.
        Thanks for noting that for me, Tchuck. We don't take echinacea all the time. Just when we need it, then off again. I have pretty much the same philosophy about health that you have. Of course, the "traditional" medical people are probably spinning over your post. Big grin (If you think about it, though, "traditional" should really mean before the coming of 'western' medicine. I think they have it backwards. Or maybe it's me butchering the language again, and it really already means that unless you use the two words together, like 'traditional western.' I'm in a very confused state of mind anyway, today. Maybe I shouldn't be posting right now... Confused)
        On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Certifiably Insane

I have yet to go to Knightstown just yet. I'm still a bachelor, so I usually stay at work, my house next to my work, or on the roads. I've seen a few of the local bikers around here, but no women. My fiance is actually applying at some schools in Knightstown for teaching jobs.
          They live a few miles outside of town. Her kids don't go to the schools there, so I can't give your fiance any input. Good luck to her, though!
          On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
            I've tried the zicam thing a few times. Here's what I (don't) know. 1. It doesn't claim to cure a cold nor to prevent a cold... only to reduce the severity and duration. One small point, though... there's no way to tell whether it actually did that. My last cold w/ zicam lasted about as long as colds normally last. Which leads to.... 2. Not all colds are colds. Trent can tell you in succinct terms how to differentiate a cold from a sinus infection from a (fill in), but many times we might think we have a cold when it is something else and vice versa. And if you have a something else, zicam is probably basically candy.
            How can you tell the difference? I have a "cold" and just want to know what to do to feel better. Sad
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sinus infections take about 10-14 days to set in (despite what you've been told), have NOTHING to do with snot color, typically are NOT associated with fevers or symptoms in your body and tend to be localized to part of your face or head. Most everything else is a cold or a flu-like illness.
                I asked my doctor what was wrong with me, and she said I just had the crud. No fever but swollen tonsils/glands, very sore and itchy throat the first 2 days, then came the snot yesterday, and now here I am hacking at my desk with a box of Kleenex in my inbox. Ugh. Will running in a cold drizzle make it worse?