Running with 30 pound backpack (Read 378 times)

Gadget

I am starting to run with a back pack in training for a charity event for disabled soldiers. I use a garmin GPS to calculate my calories burnt so that I can refuel as required. Do I simply input the joint weights of me and the backpack so it can work it out.

Also I normally run with a barefoot trainer but this event has to be in boots, anyone with knowledge of good zero heel boots

I am starting to run with a back pack in training for a charity event for disabled soldiers. I use a garmin GPS to calculate my calories burnt so that I can refuel as required. Do I simply input the joint weights of me and the backpack so it can work it out.

Also I normally run with a barefoot trainer but this event has to be in boots, anyone with knowledge of good zero heel boots

I think you might be better off you eat what you feel is needed and drink however much your body tells you it needs than worrying about calculation.

In regards to boots, just scrape off excess rubber off the heel part--boots have plenty of rubber that you shouldn't have to worry too much about messing up too much.  Also, make sure you put some "grooves" on the forefoot area so the boots would flex enough so you won't get plantar fasciitis.

Also, make sure you have the backpack with strap so you can tie it down around your waist (unless it's specified) otherwise it'll bounce all over the place and be uncomfortable.

Good luck.