Achilles Advise, PLEASE!! (Read 921 times)

Member Since 2008

Two weeks away from my marathon and my achilles in really hurting. No swelling or redness, just hurts to flex or put pressure on it. What do I do? I have not run for two days, have been icing it and elivating it regularily but there seems to be no improvement.
      You sound kind of like me. First, you might want to consult a doctor (that's CYA on my part!) Second, warm up the calves with a heating pad, or warm, damp towel (moist heat is great), then massage them really good once or twice a day. I bet you find all kinds of knots and sore spots. I did. If you have a foam roller, try that, as well. And no wimpering. Evil grin Wink Third, continue with ice and ibu after your workouts. Fourth, no calf strengthening exercises or stretching of the AT. Fifth, do a really good warm up before running, and take it easy for the first mile or so 'til things loosen up. All this seems to be helping me, and mine has been pretty bad for awhile. I caught my heel on my chair at work recently, which caused my foot to flex downward (toe pointing down, contracting the AT), and I almost wet my pants it hurt so frigging bad. This was not what caused my AT problems in the first place. I think it was worn out shoes. Good luck!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

hockeyvoice

Double check with your Dr. before taking too much ibuprofen.....I ruptured my achilles tendon 2yrs ago and the surgeon said that taking ibuprofen isn't good for tendonitis---sore tendons.
          I had tendinosis of the achilles and it shot pain up my whole leg leading to the leg being numb. Definitely see a doctor, he'll probably recommend an MRI if you're determined to run this marathon. I had an MRI but nothing showed up until my second visit once I had started to run on it again and made it really inflamed. I'm guessing (without looking at your log) that this is a result of the tapering before the marathon, your legs might be repairing and this is when little overworking tears add up. Just a guess, not too experienced but maybe it makes sense.

Bugs

Find a chiropractor that provides graston therapy. My doc can fix my achilles in one treatment. I've went in limping and leave running.

Bugs

Franc Karpo

I feel your pain. For the 2007 Boston marathon I was out with an Achilles problem and it affected my training for 4 weeks. This started 6 weeks weeks before the race. What worked for me was daily icing the foot in a bucket of ice water until the foot almost goes numb, (a few minutes). Followed up with wrapping it in a heating pad for 10 minutes. It did ice/heat treatment 4-5 times per day and it got me back in time for Boston. I also did 4-5 long pool runs to maintain fitness. I was able to have a decent marathon. My quads however took a beating because I missed most of my hill workouts and long runs. You can't simulate the pounding in the pool. Smile Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Franc

Member Since 2008

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Bugs

Thanks for all your help and advice.
                  What are you going to do?

Bugs

Go - I finally broke down and made an appointment with a sports ortho. Hopefully it' nothing major, but I recommend you see a doc, as well. I don't know why we runners are so stubborn about seeing the doc. Maybe it's because we don't want to be told we can't run for awhile. Let us know how things progress with you.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Member Since 2008

I am trying to rest as much as possible, I've been icing several times a day. I tried to get into the doctor's, but no openings for a couple of weeks.

Bugs

I am trying to rest as much as possible, I've been icing several times a day. I tried to get into the doctor's, but no openings for a couple of weeks.
                        Why not try the graston? Two years ago I hurt my achilles three weeks before marathon. I could not run one mile and went to my doctor who is a runner took an x-ray, then a cat-scan which suggested stress-fracture, and so we did an MRI. Each test took weeks to get in, days to get the results, and it was expensive. I missed my marathon, took time off, started running and boom the pain came back. On a whim I tried graston treatment, and it was fixed with one visit. Cost me $55. Since then I've had my achilles act up a few times, graston has always fixed it. I have no idea if that had done graston treament I would have made my race. I recommend you call your local chiropractors and ask if they provide a therapy called graston. It is a very common treatment.

Bugs

Member Since 2008

My leg is starting to feel alot better. Although I can tell it is a little off, I am still treating it gingerly. I am going to give it a few more days rest and we will see. Bugs, thanks for all the advise, I could not locate anyone within one hundred miles who conducts the treatment you suggested. I have been using a foam roller and the "stick". I just got my fingers crossed for the marathon.

Bugs

GO PRE, Glad it is getting better, sorry you were not able to find a graston doc. I have fixed mine on my own a few times, but I've also seen and felt what the professional treatment feels like. The inventor of Graston (Mr. Graston himself) first fixed his own injuries using kitchen utensils. It was a holiday and I could not get into see my doc, had the long run to do and my achilles was bad. I put lotion as a lube and rubbed it over my leg, and then took my kitchen butter knife, and used the edge of the NON sharp side and glided it along both sides of my leg, from heel into calf. It is similiar concept of using using stick, but a metal tool has more leverage and can break up scar tissue and knots the stick will never touch. You should feel a tingling, that scar tissue and crap. Glide with gentel pressure, not more than three times. My doc is more aggressive then I am but he's had training. I told my doc that I 'treated myself', he said it was OK to do, we both agreed his treatment was better. His tools vibrate when he goes over scar tissue, where I have to guess. If you try this "do it at your own risk", there is a thing as too much deep massage. It hurts a little but feels good too because there is a release of pressure. When you have soft tissue damage (the most common running injury) there is scar tissue crap that causes the muscle not to move easily in the fasica; They are stuck. The graston breaks-up the scar tissue, promotes healing, and allows your muscle to move normal again. If you try this a couple warnings; if you see red dots on your skin, it is time to stop. This is because you bruise easier where there is injury because of increased capallaries. Your achilles will most likely hurt a little more the next 24 hrs; that's normal; Don't freak out about it. I believe in this treatment so much, I'd love to go to school to offer the treatment. It impresses me to see a doc that can fix a patient effectively and consistantly.

Bugs