Kindle (Read 961 times)

So the Fire is available now.  Anyone tried it?  I wonder how the browser would work with this site and specifically the log?

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

an amazing likeness

So the Fire is available now.  Anyone tried it?  I wonder how the browser would work with this site and specifically the log?

From all I've seen, Kindle Fire is really designed to consume Amazon content -- streaming media, books, etc., rather than as a general purpose tablet.  Here's an example review with that bent. 

RA is a pretty straightforward javascript site, so it renders really well (and fast) in most browsers, the 3rd party gadgets Eric uses are more susceptible to browser specifics.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Menace to Sobriety

I had one in my hands yesterday but couldn't pull the trigger. I think I'm going to go with the basic Kindle.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Marylander

I recently killed the screen of my original Nook (sheds a tear) and have replaced it with a refurb Nook Color ($139 sold through buy.com but coming from B&N with 1 year B&N warranty). I rooted it and now have a full version of android on there (oops, there goes the warranty). So, I can do the reading stuff (which is still the main point of it) plus do tablet kinds of things too.

I recently killed the screen of my original Nook (sheds a tear) and have replaced it with a refurb Nook Color ($139 sold through buy.com but coming from B&N with 1 year B&N warranty). I rooted it and now have a full version of android on there (oops, there goes the warranty). So, I can do the reading stuff (which is still the main point of it) plus do tablet kinds of things too.

Tell me about the nook color.  Da Wife wants one for Christmas and I'm trying to figure if it's a good machine, or should I push for the kindle.

I hear the battery life, because it's not e-ink, isn't all that great.  Also, if she's out on the deck and the sun is shining, will she be able to read it?  That sort of thing.

Jeff

Marylander

I really like the Nook Color. I've only had it for a week and never used the software that came on it. There's a new, higher powered version, just out this week called the Nook Tablet. It has slightly higher hardware specs than the Kindle Fire but is the same kind of deal. Here's one comparison of the Nook Tablet vs the Kindle Fire for different uses. There are other comparisons online as well. The Nook Color is basically the same kind of deal but with a bit lower level hardware. I haven't had any trouble playing standard definition avi files or surfing the web with it. For reading I'm using the Moon+ Reader (have the Kindle and Nook apps loaded too) which has autoscroll that is perfect for eating messy food while reading. Again, I rooted mine and am running cyanogenmod android on it. Unless you're a techie you might not be comfortable doing something like this...

It's like a big phone screen so it would not be easy to read in direct sunlight. With my vision I couldn't read my original e-ink Nook in direct sunlight so this was a non-issue for me.

I really like the Nook Color. I've only had it for a week and never used the software that came on it. There's a new, higher powered version, just out this week called the Nook Tablet. It has slightly higher hardware specs than the Kindle Fire but is the same kind of deal. Here's one comparison of the Nook Tablet vs the Kindle Fire for different uses. There are other comparisons online as well. The Nook Color is basically the same kind of deal but with a bit lower level hardware. I haven't had any trouble playing standard definition avi files or surfing the web with it. For reading I'm using the Moon+ Reader (have the Kindle and Nook apps loaded too) which has autoscroll that is perfect for eating messy food while reading. Again, I rooted mine and am running cyanogenmod android on it. Unless you're a techie you might not be comfortable doing something like this...

It's like a big phone screen so it would not be easy to read in direct sunlight. With my vision I couldn't read my original e-ink Nook in direct sunlight so this was a non-issue for me.

I *AM* a techie, but I'd never root it.  It's not worth it to me to accidentally screw it up.  I have mentioned the glass/backlit screen to her, but she seems still more interested in it than the Kindle (not the Fire).  But, I would hate to spend $250 and have her not be able to read outside.  Plus the battery issue.  But, if she wants it, she wants it.

The thing about the e-ink screens...they can go a MONTH without recharging...

Another question...you mentioned a Kindle app.  Was that because you rooted it, or is there a kindle app that runs on the nook?  Meaning, can we download books from Amazon to read on the nook?

Jeff

Marylander

I *AM* a techie, but I'd never root it.  It's not worth it to me to accidentally screw it up.  I have mentioned the glass/backlit screen to her, but she seems still more interested in it than the Kindle (not the Fire).  But, I would hate to spend $250 and have her not be able to read outside.  Plus the battery issue.  But, if she wants it, she wants it.

The thing about the e-ink screens...they can go a MONTH without recharging...

Another question...you mentioned a Kindle app.  Was that because you rooted it, or is there a kindle app that runs on the nook?  Meaning, can we download books from Amazon to read on the nook?

You can actually make an android SD card and run straight android from it without rooting on the Nook Color (I'm only aware of this method and haven't tried it). Take the SD card out and you're back to normal. How to run android off the SD card on Nook Color. You'd need to do something like this to run the Kindle app on the Nook. However, I saw today that someone has succeeded in loading the Nook app on the Kindle Fire without changing the OS so there are some options...

Wow.  Running Android (Gingerbread, I presume) off an SD card would be cool.

Jeff

What do you think about giving one to a 9 year old? She reads constantly.  She's read the entire Harry Potter series 5 times now. Oh yeah, she completed the entire series in about 10 days too. 

We are thinking this is a nice gift, but still have some doubts. 

- Anya