nike free run (Read 1634 times)

Well, I've been wearing them for 2 weeks now,  and really like them.  They are so light, I feel like I"m running on air.  Also, I had no problems at all transitioning to them. So, they are nothing like being barefoot, as I had sort of thought they would.  

They only weigh 6 ounces, it's so funny to pick them up.  

So, so far so good.  Makes my old pair seem like bricks.

- Anya

you might want to mix in some other shoes if you are adding miles.  it's great to train your feet to need less support.  but... your feet probably can't make a 100% switch over without some added risk of injury like achilles or plantar issues.

you might want to mix in some other shoes if you are adding miles.  it's great to train your feet to need less support.  but... your feet probably can't make a 100% switch over without some added risk of injury like achilles or plantar issues.

Really?  I guess I have not gone more than 3.5 miles in them yet.  I"ll keep that in mind. 

Thanks, the last thing I need is plantar or achilles.    I already have IT band issues. 

- Anya

there is a big difference between running maybe 10 easy miles a week in them and running 30 miles a week with hills and speed work.  I'm not saying they are bad for you.  But in moderation as your feet get stronger.  10 vitamins a day might be bad for you also.

I have been running in Nike Free 5.0s for about 9 months.  I probably have about 600 miles on them and they are close to retirement.  I love them.

I agree with Doug...you should be somewhat cautious even if they feel really good.  I mix in my normal trainers, Nike Air Pegasus, now and then or if I start to feel sore in the feet, achilles or lower leg (shin/calf).  Because the Frees dont give you much support and they are so flexible, they really work your feet muscles more than you may think.

I just purchased a pair of Nike Free 3.0s (Black) and so far I think they are awesome.  They feel very fast.  Lighter, more flexible and a lower heel than the 5.0s.  I am also being cautious with these shoes and mixing in my other shoes (5.0s and Pegasus) every other run or so until my legs adapt to the 3.0s.

Good luck with the Nike Free Runs!

I love my Nike Free 5.0 too!

I generally use them on runs 1 hour or less and transitioning to lighter shoes overall (even thought I'm not a light weight runner) has helped me nip beginning PF and other foot and ankle problems in in the bud.

+1 on the moderation.

Recalculating...

Your equipment log shows that you have some experience in the VFFs, so that may help you make the "transition" more easily. I had some IT band issues last year and I found that lower profile shoes and less heel striking did a lot to alleviate that. But, like others mention, that sort of just moved the stress on my body into my calves/Achilles. Some of the Nike Frees gave me trouble there not so much because of their height anywhere, but more so because their heels (including the insole) tend to be somewhat soft and my Achilles tendon was asked to stretch more on each step than it thought it was going to have to.

Nike Frees are so very comfortable.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

I have not tried the frees, which aren't.  How do they compare to eschewing corporate cobblers completely and running barefoot? 
                    when running on asphalt and concrete the frees hurt less.  when running on glass the frees hurt a LOT less.