Base prior to marathon training (Read 1295 times)

Yeah, so I just BS around and say one thing here and say another thing somewhere else...??? ;o) Well, more or less... If I do that at letsrun.com forum, I'd get crucified! Consider this, though; so Lydiard said it's better to do the long run in one shot. Then turned around and said; "...so if you can--and if you want to become a champion, you will--do a supplmentary morning jog..." Many people have asked this question; "Is it better to do one 10-mile run or 2 X 5 mile runs???" I'm from old school. I used to do twice a day, 7-days-a-week workout. It took some break once I got married and we had a kid... It only came back recently. I definitely notice the difference; if you get out twice a day, it's so much better off... I usually get in a very easy 30' or so in the morning. Actually, it used to be 20 and that's enough. Now it's getting up to be 40~45 range. I did 1:06 this mornig and am expecting to do a 1:30 XC in the evening! ;o) Well, so according to what Lydiard said, is it better to do 2:30 one shot today? Well, yes and no. If I'm building up, I might try doing 2-hour runs a few times a week (I did 2 X 2hour runs during our summer vacation). But usually 30' in AM and about an hour in PM is more than plenty. As Bugs had noted, I feel so much more warmed-up if I go for an easy "waking-up" jog in AM. I guess I'm lucky and have flexible work hours (though take lots of late nights...). But sometimes I'm forced to do a "morning" jog during lunch time and do the evening run at around 3! That ain't too much fun... Sometimes I'd say, bugger it, I'll just do one... Arthur is not gonna come down (or come up???) and chase me down with his cane because i miss a morning jog! But, more often than not, if I miss it, I'll feel it. In fact, as I got old, I feel it more because I'd have more sluggish days if not warmed up! So two things; one, sure, life does get in your way. It's unavoidable. Last Sunday, I did 1:45 XC with my girl in AM. Had to do some clearning around the house, cutting down the bushes and all...mow the lawn... Then my wife and daughter went for shopping (somehow they call that their 'work"...) so I snuck out and did another 50' XC in PM. By the time I got home, it was 6:30 and they comlained they were hungry (I'm the chief of the house....to keep my Green Card!) so I went straight to cooking, sweat dripping off my shirts, I used some for flavoring... (nah!) Yeah, so you gotta juggle things here and there. I run a couple of times in the morning with my girl. That's 5AM. So I'd have to get up at 4 to get ready, drive to near where she lives... I get home 6:30 to see my daughter off to school. You just gotta compensate and accommodate somewhat; that's life. It's hard for me because, like I said, I do stay up quite late to do some work; it's not rare to stay up near 3:00AM. Some days, I'd stay up, making some international calls till after midnight...and get up at 4... Not a healthy way to do it; but that's my choice. I guess I'm a hard-nose kinda guy. I was watching "Pearl Harbor" the other night. Remember the scene when FDR got up and stood up from his wheelchair and said, "Don't tell me it can't be done!" Second; sometimes I get an e-mail and people might say, "I looked at Lydiard schedule, and it says 3 times a week of hill training and 3 times a week of sprint work. That's too much speed training. What do I do?" My simple answer would be; "Then don't do it!" Of course my suggesting X3 of doubles a week is not for everybody. I sort of used this simple 30' AM + 45~60' PM as a good start-up formula. If, like I kept saying, life gets in your way and you feel you couldn't handle it; then don't even attempt! Like I said on the other thread (somewhere...), it's so much better to do less and continue enjoying the program than trying to clam everything in and get sick of it and hang it up in 3 months. It's ALWAYS better to finsh up your week, feeling, "Gee, I wanted to do some more. Maybe I'll squeeze one more run Monday morning..." I'll tell you when the program is working; that's when this "urge" welling up from within. If you get up in the morning, thinking, "God, do I have to go for a run today?" that's too much. Cut back. People always want some formula. 10% rule, whatever. But I just don't know how else I can say; "Listen to your body." Just this Wednesday, I went for a run in the morning... Just around the corner (the first corner!), my Achilles was hurting and I just didn't "have it". So I stopped and turned around and came back. That evening, I went to the club instead and hopped on a stationary bike and rode "only" 20 minutes. I gave myself a specific restriction of the effort level, rate per minute and heart rate. After 20-minute, I thought, maybe 10 more minutes? And thought, nah, just pack it up... Some days are like that. Just skip it. A good way to do it is to take a morning pulse. I don't do it everyday but most of the days. That particular day, it was up by quite a bit (it was 47 yesterday; usually around 52. That day was around 58). If it's quite a bit higher, it's a sure indication that you've been working hard. Take it easy. Use that as an excuse so you don't feel guilty. If you need a reassurance, just take a sip of coffee before you take your HR. It'll go up and then you can say, "Ah! It's higher than normal so I should take it easy...!" ;o)
      Thanks again Nobby. I see your point on the doubles. There HAVE been tmes in the evening after a moderate/easy 6-8 mile run in the morning where my legs have felt good and I think, "Yeesh, I could go run 5 or 6 right now easy". I've played hockey for 90 minutes in the am and run during lunch so I know that physically I could do it. I've wanted to run a marathon for years but waited until the kids were a bit older. I have 3 little ones and I wouldn't stay married very long if I got home at 6:45p and told my wife I was going for a run. My running already tests her a bit. Plus, that's just my time with my girls - reading, brushing teeth, etc. I love that time with them (when they're not acting like wild animals) So, I'm trying to research ways to add mileage to my mornings so I too have an adequate base and a bit more structure (not completely structured Big grin) so I can run that first marathon in May and still have my family love me Wink.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Wow. Thanks Nobby. So... 30 min in the morning and 45-60 in the evening 3ish times per week. Right now I've been enjoying cruise intervals so throw those in as an evening workout when I can Back off from that when I feel I need to Lengthen the cruise intervals when I feel I can Run longer on the weekend repeat as necessary It really isn't much more complicated than that? Go figure. I have been a bit sloppy with my log. there have been times in which I've kept it religiously. Lately, when running became a burden, I let it slip. Note to self: Your log is highly valuable. Be more attentive to it.

Bugs

I have 3 little ones and I wouldn't stay married very long if I got home at 6:45p and told my wife I was going for a run. My running already tests her a bit.
          It's all give and take. Yesterday I asked my DH to get the kids on the bus so I could run with a friend in the (4) AM. This allowed me to get to work early so he could go fishing. With 3 kids she's probably needs some "me" time too, work that into the negotiations.

Bugs

...that's just my time with my girls - reading, brushing teeth, etc. I love that time with them (when they're not acting like wild animals) So, I'm trying to research ways to add mileage to my mornings so I too have an adequate base and a bit more structure (not completely structured Big grin) so I can run that first marathon in May and still have my family love me Wink.
            EGH3: Okay, you opened up a can of worms here; let me be a bit philosophical... I've come from Japanese background and, in quite a few aspects, things are quite different. In the US, young couple would exchange a quick kiss and say "I love you" every morning when they go to work. In one way, it's nice to be open and express how you really feel. But if you look at it synically, they'd have to do it because they are so insecure. In Japan, more of a quiet message is valued. The other party is sort of expected to notice it and "get it". Funny, when you think about it, the land where everybody says "I love you" every morning, the divorce rate is 50%. Of course, circumstances are different to simply compare the numbers... I guess my point is; is it the length of time you spend with your family and kids that matters, or quality of the time spent? I love that stupid commercial (what commercial is it, I don't even remember...); the dad is away on a business trip all over the place; but he sends a quick picture to his little girl of a little stuffed monkey (pretending to) climb the building... You know which one I'm talking about??? Now, I'm sure the little girl understands he loves her...because he cares; not because he hangs around with her. I know you're not just hanging around with your kids like a dead wood; we've got only one daughter but I know exactly what you mean; I so did (she's going to be 16 next week!) love those little times with her. And, believe me, they do grow so fast! If you turn around too long, you'll completely miss it! Most weekends, I'd be out running and, more often than not, my wife's gone running as well. So by the time I get home like 10 or later, my daughter's usually all by herself (usually watching Spongebob...). Twice a week, I go and run with one of the girls I coach. I get up at 4AM and leave by 4:40, we get together at 5 and run a little over an hour. I barely make it before my daughter leaves for school (she leaves 6:50). I usually try to get her breakfast ready, get some cerial in a bowl or cut up some fruits on a plate, before I leave house and leave it on a counter. I'm not around, but I hope she "gets it". I just read this short story about a teacher and a parent. Teachers teach...whether kids don't like it or not. Nowadays, there's big problem in Japan with kids discipline; and many parents blame teachers for that. But wait, is it teachers' responsibility to teach kids discipline? There are things teachers "teach"--math and geography and science... Parents don't necessarily teach. But kids would "learn" from parents. Discipline, respect, love...(okay, I'm really getting heavy here! ;o)). Sure, some teachers share that as well. I, for one, would like to be a coach who shares that. And ability to dream, and actually work hard to achieve it. You don't press that upon your kids. You know it; they'll rebel you if you tried. Now, just think, how do you think your kids would feel if you're gone all the time in the evening and gone iin early mornings on weekend...coming home all sweaty and tired... And comes next May, to watch you cross the marathon finish, blood stained your shirt (I just did that by doing a 25k race, rubbed nipples...ouch!) but COMPLETELY satisfied with what you just accomplished... 4 hours, 6 hours, who cares; but to have completed 26 miles on your own feet, going the distance, by working your butts off day in and day out for months leading up to it... What do you think they'll learn from you then? There was this runner in New Zealand in the 70s, Kevin Ryun; he trained so hard, something like 140 miles a week, with full-time job. On Sunday, it wasn't rare that he'd be out hammering for 3 hours...and as he came home, his wife would say to his kids; "Children, this is your father..." to re-introduce him to them! (well, as a joke, of course...). He made the Olympic team in 1976. Of course, I don't know how his kids turned out to be... ;o) Why are people attracted to the marathon? It is because it's more than just a race. You experience "life's journy" in it (including "preparation" for doing it) and that's why it, YOU, touches other's heart and soul as well. Wow! I sound so damn cool! I'd better stop now...

Bugs

EGH3: Time running management difficulty varies with the age your kids are too. My kids are in Tae Kwon Doe lessons when I do my main runs. They are at advanced level, and have more time in lessons than I do running. (I would go crazy to sit and watch every lesson.) Their Dad goes to more lessons and sometimes I feel bad when I don't know the patterns like Dad does, but I help the kids with the book stuff they have to memorize. They must be learning good stuff because before my last marathon I asked oldest for last minute advice and he said, "Don't give up, whatever you do, don't give up." (Momma pride there.) What I really struggle with is dinner time. I sit at the table and watch them eat, try not to eat. If I each my run is bad. When the kids are very little, they usually have early bed time. I have read many of a book dressed in running clothes ready to head out the door as soon as they are tucked. Maybe you could run with your kids? Mine are 5 & 7 and we try to run together 3xweek for 1-2 miles, youngest walks sometimes. When my legs are tired they always beat me, which is a bummer because first one home gets the biggest ice cream cone. Do you have a TM? I hate it because I get hurt more on it, but sometimes for busy parent that is an option too. Tuck kids in, 30 minutes on TM. There is a Doc Marathon runner in town that does ALL his runs with jogging stroller, even up hills. Took 10 minutes off his PR doing this. I have to admit, it is a huge time sacrifice, my only friends are runners, all I got time for. Time with DH probably take the biggest hit, he seems to "get it" though.

Bugs

EGH3: Time running management difficulty varies with the age your kids are too. My kids are in Tae Kwon Doe lessons when I do my main runs. They are at advanced level, and have more time in lessons than I do running. (I would go crazy to sit and watch every lesson.) Their Dad goes to more lessons and sometimes I feel bad when I don't know the patterns like Dad does, but I help the kids with the book stuff they have to memorize. They must be learning good stuff because before my last marathon I asked oldest for last minute advice and he said, "Don't give up, whatever you do, don't give up." (Momma pride there.) What I really struggle with is dinner time. I sit at the table and watch them eat, try not to eat. If I each my run is bad. When the kids are very little, they usually have early bed time. I have read many of a book dressed in running clothes ready to head out the door as soon as they are tucked. Maybe you could run with your kids? Mine are 5 & 7 and we try to run together 3xweek for 1-2 miles, youngest walks sometimes. When my legs are tired they always beat me, which is a bummer because first one home gets the biggest ice cream cone. Do you have a TM? I hate it because I get hurt more on it, but sometimes for busy parent that is an option too. Tuck kids in, 30 minutes on TM. There is a Doc Marathon runner in town that does ALL his runs with jogging stroller, even up hills. Took 10 minutes off his PR doing this. I have to admit, it is a huge time sacrifice, my only friends are runners, all I got time for. Time with DH probably take the biggest hit, he seems to "get it" though.
                Just had to bump this up with an update. My 8-year-old daughter asked me this week when she could go running with me. I said, "Sure, anytime" but I didn't think she was serious. But after a couple days she asked me again - kinda annoyed that I hadn't taken her yet. That's sooo cool! Taking her for a quick jog this weekend. Looking forward to the quality time. Big grin Might even buy her a tech shirt or something. I can just hear myself, "Draw circles with your feet, Mary, circles with your feet." MTA: And yes, Nobby, you did sound cool.