Nobby's Sick - The Get Well Thread. (Read 1508 times)

Certifiably Insane

This is what he uses: ConcenTrace® Trace Mineral Drops http://www.traceminerals.com/products/drops.htmlSleepy
    Thanks, Bugs! I'll check into that. BTW, where did your name come from? When I see that, it makes me think of running on the trails in the evening...and the bugs I have to pick out of my teeth afterwards. Wait...I didn't mean anything personal by that... (Crap. I need to learn how to type with my mouth closed.)
    On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Bugs

Thanks, Bugs! I'll check into that. BTW, where did your name come from? When I see that, it makes me think of running on the trails in the evening...and the bugs I have to pick out of my teeth afterwards. Wait...I didn't mean anything personal by that... (Crap. I need to learn how to type with my mouth closed.)
      It is a real child hood nickname. I was given a bugs bunny shirt on that said "BUGS" and would not take it off. So you see I am the bunny not the pest, but maybe both applies. Smile Your name reminds me of running into the woods to find a john/bathroom. Lets hope neither of us need a "john" on tomorrow's long run. Wink

Bugs

Certifiably Insane

It is a real child hood nickname. I was given a bugs bunny shirt on that said "BUGS" and would not take it off. So you see I am the bunny not the pest, but maybe both applies. Smile Your name reminds me of running into the woods to find a john/bathroom. Lets hope neither of us need a "john" on tomorrow's long run. Wink
        I had never thought about that, but you make a very good point, Bugs! I don't know what it is about running in cold, damp weather, but it sure makes me "go" a lot. (Fortunately, mainly #1) I've been doing at least 10 miles every run since January, so you can imagine how inconvenient (glad I didn't say 'incontinent' Big grin) it gets sometimes. I did 14 miles on Thursday, and had to stop 3 times during it. Believe me, I've mapped out quite a few places in the area where I can stop, so I can alter my run a bit to hit one of those if needed. Sometimes that is an advantage of running after dark... In daylight during winter, I have to be a bit more discreet. Wink
        On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30

Bugs

RunnerJohn, Holy ship you're pretty fast.

Bugs

Certifiably Insane

Thanks! I'm not as fast as I used to be, or nearly as fast as I want to be, though! Big grin (Or is that just that obsession thing rearing it's ugly head again?) BTW, you've been hitting some pretty high-mileage weeks! Nice job! Smile
              I'm not really sick, but my back is stiff and sore on one side, and this has gone on for two weeks, and is getting old (well, just like me, but I don't like it ). I think it was a combination of doing a race on Sunday, March 1st, and driving/riding in the car to get home for 13 hrs the next day, and hovering over the computer for a couple of days after that. Has anyone had this problem, and have any advice? Every time I try to run, the jarring stops me, so all I can do is stroll. Nuts! Woods lady Sad

Bugs

Thanks! I'm not as fast as I used to be, or nearly as fast as I want to be, though! Big grin (Or is that just that obsession thing rearing it's ugly head again?) BTW, you've been hitting some pretty high-mileage weeks! Nice job! Smile
                Who is as fast as they want to be? Why don't you run recovery runs? Thanks for the mileage ego boost.. Sickness keeps messing with my long runs but I've good vibes for this weekend. 18 miles on a flat course should seem easy compared to the hills Nobby pulled me over.

Bugs

Certifiably Insane

I can only run about every other day (my knee needs a day off after a run), so my 'recovery runs' normally end up as a day off or some type of bike ride. I hope your run this weekend goes great! I'm hoping to get in an 18-miler tomorrow, also. Supposed to be windy with a chance of snow flurries. Roll eyes Now that that chatting with an attractive young lady has successfully distracted me from the original intent of this thread long enough Big grin, has anyone heard from Nobby? I haven't seen him post for a while. Is he doing OK?

Certifiably Insane

I'm not really sick, but my back is stiff and sore on one side, and this has gone on for two weeks, and is getting old (well, just like me, but I don't like it ). I think it was a combination of doing a race on Sunday, March 1st, and driving/riding in the car to get home for 13 hrs the next day, and hovering over the computer for a couple of days after that. Has anyone had this problem, and have any advice? Every time I try to run, the jarring stops me, so all I can do is stroll. Nuts! Woods lady Sad
                    Woods lady, I do have a sore lower back now and then. You're right, racing hard, then sitting in a car for a long time is the worst. When mine really starts to bug me, I get out my yoga videos. There are a couple of exercises that strengthen back muscles, and those really seem to help. I've been trying to do core strengthening exercises on a regular basis, and my back hurts a lot less often now. Some of the really good routines I've found are on www.runnersworld.com and www.mastertheshift.com That last one is a Nissan site, but Alberto Salazar has some GREAT videos there on training advice, exercises, and workouts. Put together a routine that spotlights your trouble areas, and do it consistently for a few weeks. I think you'll find it helps! One of the other real motivators for me was that note in my last Runner's World mag that said runners who did core exercises 4 times a week cut an average of 30 seconds off their 5K times. Heck yeah, I'll do them! Big grin Good luck with it!
                      Thanks for the tips, Runnerjohn. I also saw that statement in RunnersWorld, and it really appeals to me too. I started running because I needed to go to the physical therapist in July, and the guy was good. I faithfully did the exercises he gave me, and got better. After a few weeks, I realized I was doing nothing at all for my heart. Well, I really never have, except for some swimming 20 years ago. Anyway, I started up the hill behind my house, and loved it so much, I kept at it. Then in Aug., I surprised my daughter, Econo, and just showed up at a 4.4 mile race, in her town,and found out that I am competitive! Tongue so here I am. My goal for '09 is to do a 10K. The great news is that my back is better now, and I had a great (for me) walk/run yesterday. I know you are right about the core exercises, and need to get back to them. BTW, since you call yourself an old fart Shocked, maybe you could tell me what the heck a fartlek is. Confused. I see it in peoples logs. Honestly, I don't know! Woods Lady

Certifiably Insane

Woods Lady, I'm glad your back is better! It seems like whenever I strain muscles in my back, they take FOREVER to get better. Sometimes, I'm not known for my patience, though... Big grin It almost seems like you did that backwards. Most people start running, then have to go to PT. You went to PT, then started running. That's cool, though, it got you started in something you love! Fartlek literally means 'speed play.' People have different ways of doing it, but it really boils down to throwing fast segments of different lengths into your runs. It might be structured, like this: 1 mile warmup, 1 mile fast, 1 mile easy, half mile fast, half mile easy, etc. You can do that by time, too. (5 minutes fast, 5 minutes easy, 2 minutes fast, 2 minutes easy, ...) Or, it might be totally random and unstructured, like: Warm up with easy running until you feel ready, then run fast to the first house on the left, then easy for 5 minutes, then fast for 6 telephone poles, slow until the corner, fast until the next road, etc. The main thing is to use both long and short periods of faster running (not all out, just about 5K race pace for shorter stuff, about 10K pace for the longer). Don't wear yourself out by going too long or too fast. Remember the second part - play. It should be fun. Mix it up, try it on trails, roads, you can even do these on a treadmill. If you run with a friend, alternate. You pick one fast part, they pick the next. It's a great way to get in a fast workout without feeling like it's work. BTW, I just looked at your profile...Is that a typo, or did you really run a 5K in 13:38? Shocked
                          Well, the 13:33 is my pace per mile. Hope I put it in there right. Embarrassed13 min., 33 sec. , right? OK, I actually do the fartlec thing all the time, because I don't really run all the time. I walk, and run, trying all the time to get to the point where I can just run. Of course you can tell from my time. I go from tree to tree, or bend in the road to "where the bird's nest is". How does a really good long distance runner like yourself do it? I maybe should vary my route, because you might have noticed that I have lots of choices. So my feet get tired on pavement. I am contemplating trying my first 8K this weekend in Eugene with DD1, and maybe Econo. I will wait until Friday to see how my back is doing. I now realize that I veer off to the Left on the treadmill, and swing my arm differertly on the R from the L, and I think that is the cause of the R side soreness. I am so happy to have (maybe ) figured out the problem. Do you do any of the little Eugene races, or only long runs and races? Please make yourself known if you see me. I am the oldest lady there - or at least there are few. The better for winning hardware! Wink

Another Passion

Sorry Nobby, there was a horrible mixup. My address, which was only supposed to be the billing address got entered in ship to field...
                            Freudian slip. Hey, I look pretty good in drag... if I shave my legs. Will that do for ya? Get feeling better soon! Big grin

Rick
                            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Certifiably Insane

Well, the 13:33 is my pace per mile. Hope I put it in there right. Embarrassed13 min., 33 sec. , right? OK, I actually do the fartlec thing all the time, because I don't really run all the time. I walk, and run, trying all the time to get to the point where I can just run. Of course you can tell from my time. I go from tree to tree, or bend in the road to "where the bird's nest is". How does a really good long distance runner like yourself do it? I maybe should vary my route, because you might have noticed that I have lots of choices. So my feet get tired on pavement. I am contemplating trying my first 8K this weekend in Eugene with DD1, and maybe Econo. I will wait until Friday to see how my back is doing. I now realize that I veer off to the Left on the treadmill, and swing my arm differertly on the R from the L, and I think that is the cause of the R side soreness. I am so happy to have (maybe ) figured out the problem. Do you do any of the little Eugene races, or only long runs and races? Please make yourself known if you see me. I am the oldest lady there - or at least there are few. The better for winning hardware! Wink
                              Yeah, fartlek is easy to do, regardless of where you're at. I like the unstructured style. It takes a lot of the pressure off of hitting a certain pace for a certain distance. When I'm on the track, I feel like I "have" to hit certain splits, because that's what my training schedule says I should run on that day. I can just run them by feel, which helps if I'm kind of tired that day, and can pretty much forget about the stopwatch. It doesn't tie me to the track, either. Sometimes, I'll do those on the roads, sometimes on the trails at the State Park, sometimes on the rivergreenway, just wherever I feel like running. No, unfortunately I've never been to OR. It looks very pretty, though! I wouldn't mind the chance to run there sometime. Did you run the 8K? How'd you do?
                                Yep, my back got better, and I had about a week to get in shape. I was soooo happy just to be there and do an 8K. I am tryng to do 10K before '09 is over, and this was my first big jump up in distance. I felt that back thing come back just a little at about mile 3, but by the end of the race, I didn't feel it. I kept telling myself to run straight, and even out the use of my back and arms on each side. I was aware of my posture, trying not to bend over, or hang my head, but to run proud. I also rolled my shoulders a time or two. I did what I could do when I could do it. It is amazing what the body can do, given a fair chance! If you like, you can read my RA log. Thank you for asking. Bragging a little is just such fun. Smile Have a good running week.