Crossfit (Read 2072 times)

As far as I know, there is no rule against breaks. I see people take breaks. I take breaks all the time. I suppose no one has ever injured themselves running or biking or doing any other sport ....

This made me smile Smile

Tiefsa

I have no experience with it. 

I know this guy doesn't like it.

I have no experience with it. 

I know this guy doesn't like it.

Good read 

I've been doing Crossfit since October and I'm absolutely hooked. I had a baby 10 months ago and was in pretty crappy shape when I started. I had just started running again and was running about 12:30 miles. I'm running faster now than I did even before I got pregnant and I really think Crossfit has helped with that. I know that running is what makes someone a better runner, but I think losing weight and the sprints we do in class have helped tremendously. 

I agree with everything that Sweeter said. You've got to find a good coach who will really help you achieve your own goals rather than someone else's. Everything we do can be scaled, so it's important when you start to scale according to your own fitness levels. You may be awesome at push ups or box jumps, but need some help with pull ups, and that's okay! I'm just now starting to get a bit competitive with it (trying to match weight with people or beat so-and-so at a certain WOD) but even then, I'm mostly just out there doing the best that I can and I'm happy with it. It's great because it is something new every day, so I never get bored with it. 

I read through a couple of the articles that have been posted and I get why people get frustrated with Crossfit. But again, it all depends on your goals. I for one would NEVER say Lance Armstrong wasn't fit because he couldn't do handstand push ups or something like that. But realistically, I'm never going to be a professional runner or cyclist or anything of the sort. I like the overall fitness I've gained from this. As a girl, the weight room at our gym was always an intimidating place I would never have dreamed of entering. I would walk in, wander around the machines, and always end up just going over to the treadmill or elliptical. Now I feel like I could easily walk in there and know what to do without feeling like an idiot. Sure it can be a bit cult-like I suppose, but at the same time, as a military spouse living overseas, it's been a huge help in getting me out of my house and meeting people. Most of the people in our group are all about the paleo diet, but that's one bit of the kool-aid I haven't had yet. I'm all about cutting out sugar and processed foods, but you will have to pry my morning oatmeal out of my cold dead hands! Smile

I agree that you should probably wait until after your marathon to start though because the first couple of weeks are pretty tough. But definitely give it a try! It's a lot of fun. 

I'm Betty if you're Al

UPDATE: 2/23

Completed my first class on 2/16 and was somewhat sore the next day, but nothing some foam rolling couldn't fix.  After talking to the instructor (and kudos to him for being honest with me), he agreed that incorporating crossfit  at this time of my marathon training would not be the best, however since I am brand new to the class I could continue with the foundation/skills to learn the proper form for squats etc. since my form sucks anyways.  I'll probably only do it once a week until after Boston, then probably go to 3x/week.  I'm excited to utilize it since it is a great form of cross-training.  I appreciate all the comments and articles you guys have all posted.

PS Don't worry guys, running will always be my #1 addiction.

Best,

Tracey 

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

Glad to hear you liked it and the coach was honest with you. 

How'd your husband like it?

I'm Betty if you're Al

Besides the fact that he could barely walk the next day, he likes it, and appreciates the fact that there is something constantly going on.  He is rather out of shape, and he is has this image that in a month he will be Vin Diesel.  I gotta keep telling him...one day at a time... :-) 

"I would rather have high expectations and fail then have low expectations and succeed." DB

A month may be a bit on the fast side but men do seem to change faster.

SuperChef

Lemme tell ya about CrossFit

CrossFit is circuit training, and it is good exercise.  Anyone looking to lose fat will probably have success with CrossFit training (especially if they aren't active already).  Also, for some reason lady crossfitters end up looking exponentially excellent after training for a while.

There are a few misconceptions about the training methods.  For example, if you want the body of the top CrossFit people, you probably won't get it by just training CrossFit.  Said people are lifetime athletes and have done other programs far more than CrossFit. 

Will CrossFit make you a better runner?  No.  CrossFit training will make you good at CrossFit.  Top runners, bodybuilders, football players, olympic athletes, or whoever do not train this way.  Fighters do not train this way (sorry).  Train for the sport in which you wish to excel.  If you want to be a great runner, get out there and run.  

Despite advertisement, the CrossFit circle does not have the "fittest people on earth", because no such people exist.  A top Crossfitter can do handstand pushups, but can't squat the 1,000lbs a powerlifter can, and that powerlifter can't run the 40 in 4.0.  There is no standard in which to measure, "the fittest person on earth". 

All that being said, CrossFit is great.  If you like it, go for it.

I just walked past Crossfit on my way to the barber.  A guy was yelling, "Don't let that rope outsmart you! Don't let that rope outsmart you!"  

Not sure what they're up to.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ymmv

I just walked past Crossfit on my way to the barber.  A guy was yelling, "Don't let that rope outsmart you! Don't let that rope outsmart you!"  

rope-a-dope?

Slice

If a rope can outsmart you, you should be on the Jay Leno show answering questions that make you look like the village idiot.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning