Garmin vs map my run (Read 597 times)

dirtroadrunner

Which would yoI say is more accurate for distance? I have been using both. I believe my Garmin is the 305. I noticed that it is consistently 0.2 miles shorter than what mup my run says. I've been sticking with the Garmin's results for my logs. Which would you use?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Why use Map My Run?

RA has mapping, far superior to MMR.

Neither Garmin nor mapping is entirely accurate.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Why use Map My Run?

1+

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Thats rad

I use Gmaps pedometer, as I find it more user friendly. However I will use RA's mapping tool when creating a course.

Edit: Though a garmin would be nice so I could just run wherever and not have to map it out every time.

dirtroadrunner

I use the app on my iPhone. I was using mmr app while my Garmin was still packed away after our move. I use them because I can just go run until I go as far as I want, I don't always run the same route. I've tried mapping out routes online but I For me I just usually go run and find the new routes that way. (And sometimes new dogs to chase me)

dirtroadrunner

And apparently it's time for me to sleep because I'm starting to repeat myself and not make sense Blush

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

user friendly

Um. I don't think this means what you think it means.

(I just went back to gmaps-pedometer, perhaps for the first time in years, to see if there was a major UI change that I had missed. There was not. It is as awesome as it was back in 2006, without any major changes or updates since. That is to say, it benefits from none of the improvements in user friendliness technology that have come along in those 6+ years. So while it still has tremendous utility, I would not say that it is a paragon of user-friendliness in its current form.)

FSBD

I found map my run to be fairly inaccurate.  So I switched to using the Runkeeper app rather than map my run.  Which was more accurate but still not great.

I got a Garmin for Christmas so now I will only use that.

I ran the Philly marathon using runkeeper and the GPS said 26.62

My buddy ran the race using his Garmin and it said 26.25

The difference was fine for me for training but I actually wore a watch and a pace band during the race so that I could have an accurate time.

If I want to map out a course ahead of time I use google.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

The mapping tool on this here RunningAhead dot come is pretty damned accurate if you turn off "follow road" and zoom way in in satellite mode. I've checked it on some wheel-measured and certified courses and it's dead nuts. Definitely more accurate than GPS if you care to get to that level (which, for training purposes, I generally don't.)

Runners run

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

remember a couple of things, any mapping program assumes running in the center of the road, unless it provides a way for you to input exactly the footsteps you plan to use or used, so they will be off somewhat from actual path. Measuring devices all have built in measurement errors ranging from 3-10% depending on the technology. One would think they are more accurate since they track where one actually ran and not some nominal map location. That said either method is suitable if used consistently.

I prefer using RA to plan routes and use a Garmin 301 which is older GPS technology but is accurate enough for my purposes.

bob e v
                      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Slo

FWIW...If you have the patience you can get very accurate with the online maps.

I mapped out a 5k, 10k and 13.1 course before hitting the streets to do the actual certification measurements and I only had to adjust my starting and finish line a few feet based on the maps.

In order to do this you need to use the satellite view and turn off the follow road options. You will see that the mapped road does not always agree with the the satellite image. Zoom in close and plot your points. Each place you click will become a handle and you can go back and adjust them.

Like I said...very tedious but for the purpose I was using it for I was very suprised at how closely it came out. My maps were more accurate than actually running the courses using the garmin.

For logging purposes, 0.2 miles isn't really going to bother me.

remember a couple of things, any mapping program assumes running in the center of the road, unless it provides a way for you to input exactly the footsteps you plan to use or used, so they will be off somewhat from actual path. Measuring devices all have built in measurement errors ranging from 3-10% depending on the technology. One would think they are more accurate since they track where one actually ran and not some nominal map location. That said either method is suitable if used consistently.

I prefer using RA to plan routes and use a Garmin 301 which is older GPS technology but is accurate enough for my purposes.

Resident Historian

Why use Map My Run?

+2 - RA's mapping is very easy to use,

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

dirtroadrunner

Thank you for all the feedback! I will try to use RA to map out some routes and quit worrying with the MMR app.  So with the RA maps and my Garmin I should be set.

roadrunnermom

I always use the Garmin, but I had an issue with it that I ended up figuring out, but for the few days I had the issue, I used the map my run. I usually run the same loop in my neighborhood when I run alone, and I found map  my run clocked me in as doing about 0.3 miles more than the Garmin would. I also found my pace slightly faster, but that could have just been that I had a better day, and the pace wasn't that far off where I'd really question the reading, but it was about 15 sec/mile faster than I typically run a long run.

Overall, I'd always choose the Garmin unless I was stuck without anything as I was that time.

I found map  my run clocked me in as doing about 0.3 miles more than the Garmin would. I also found my pace slightly faster, but that could have just been that I had a better day, and the pace wasn't that far off where I'd really question the reading, but it was about 15 sec/mile faster than I typically run a long run.

The reason your pace looked faster with Map My Run is because it thought you ran farther than you actually did.  It measures time accurately, but since it thinks you went 0.3 mi farther than you actually did, it therefore thinks your pace was faster than it actually was.