6 weeks until Marathon Day (Read 415 times)

My next marathon is fast approaching on May 30th. My goal back in Feb (when I signed) up was to break 4 hrs and I thought 3:55-3:59 would a reasonable goal. I finished a half marathon a few weeks ago with a time of 1:47 (8 minute PR!). Looking at some of the race predictors this puts me at a 3:47 marathon time. I need 3:45 to qualify for Boston. The McMillian race predictor was accurate for my last marathon. Based on my half time last summer, I was predicted to run a 4:03 marathon. I finished the Portland Marathon in 4:02:51, so it was right on target. Qualifying for Boston was to be my goal for next year. With my race times improving, I am starting to wonder if I may manage it this year??? I am looking for any advice to help me improve in the short 6 weeks I have left.

SMART Approach

My next marathon is fast approaching on May 30th. My goal back in Feb (when I signed) up was to break 4 hrs and I thought 3:55-3:59 would a reasonable goal. I finished a half marathon a few weeks ago with a time of 1:47 (8 minute PR!). Looking at some of the race predictors this puts me at a 3:47 marathon time. I need 3:45 to qualify for Boston. The McMillian race predictor was accurate for my last marathon. Based on my half time last summer, I was predicted to run a 4:03 marathon. I finished the Portland Marathon in 4:02:51, so it was right on target. Qualifying for Boston was to be my goal for next year. With my race times improving, I am starting to wonder if I may manage it this year??? I am looking for any advice to help me improve in the short 6 weeks I have left.
      I think 3:45 is very ambitious on your lower miles per week. 3:47 - 3:50 is possible with a great race and great weather. My suggestion is to do some quality work within a mid week long run of 8-10 miles where you do either marathon pace miles (4-6 miles) rotated with half marathon paced reps the next week (4 X 1 mile w/ 2min jog recovery) w/ 100-200M quick striders after with full recovery. I would also do a faster finish long run (last couple miles) if feeling ok. If you are beat and struggling to finish then don't do this. Also, on your lower miles I would not over taper. Maybe do last real long run 2 weeks before race (like 16 miles) and then the last week, just cut any intense work other than striders and cut your miles a bit especially as race approaches (last 10 day) but not crazy. I think many lower mileage runner start tapering way too soon. Only taper early on low miles if you are beaten up.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

xor

What is the race? If it's Newport, that's typically a very fast course... which will help.

DoppleBock

Depends of the course and what a BQ is worth to you. Lets say you have a 20% chance of a BQ if you go for it. Lets also say you have a 60% of blowing up and being miserable the last 10k of the race. The other 20% is allocated to a fading at the end and missing your goal. I really do not know your odds, but to some people the above odds would be well worth a shot at a BQ - Other not so much. You overall mileage makes you a little bit of a longer shot to me - in the 0-30% range. Any time you go for it, there is a good chance of shuffling in.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I am running Newport- which is supposed to be a flat fast course. I know a BQ is a long shot for me. I have run both my other marathons conservative. Starting off slow, setting a realistic goal and I felt great at the end of both. Part of me wants to live on the wild side and just "got for it". If I blow up in the end, there will be other marathons. I will have to warn my running partners to be kind to me as they pass by at mile 22 because I have gone out too fast Wink