Octagenerian+2,500-plus races (Read 527 times)

Guy was at my five mile race Sunday. He's from Ohio, so I'd imagine he had at least an hour drive. For a race of about 200 people. On a hilly course, with somewhat dicey winter footing. Race director introduced him as being 8? (3 maybe) and having run more than 2,500 races. (Guy knew the exact number, I just can't recall.) After he got his age group award, I promptly went over and warned him he better stop, or he's going to wreck his knees. I hope he listens. 2,500+ races. That's more races than I ran miles last year.
    MrH

Guy was at my five mile race Sunday. He's from Ohio, so I'd imagine he had at least an hour drive. For a race of about 200 people. On a hilly course, with somewhat dicey winter footing. Race director introduced him as being 8? (3 maybe) and having run more than 2,500 races. (Guy knew the exact number, I just can't recall.) After he got his age group award, I promptly went over and warned him he better stop, or he's going to wreck his knees. I hope he listens. 2,500+ races. That's more races than I ran miles last year.
      How much did he beat you by?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

How much did he beat you by?
        I guess we won't know until I reach that age group Wink
          After he got his age group award, I promptly went over and warned him he better stop, or he's going to wreck his knees. I hope he listens.
          His knees?!?!? Doesn't he know the effects running has on one's heart! Especially whenever they're old and they don't really do much? Way to save a life...

Another Passion

Whew! This guy should be thanking his lucky stars that he happened across you, Dan! You just may have saved his mobility for his years into his 90's!! My wife's 60+ aged uncle told me last year that I really needed to stop all this running crap because, he had a theory on cardiac function. Mind you, he has been sedentary and a heavy smoker and drinker for all of his adult life. He says that we each only have so many heartbeats in our hearts from birth and that I was using mine all up when running. I advised him that while he was partially accurate in that my heart rate is elevated for the 30 to 120 minutes or so I am running each outing to maybe 140 - 160 bpm, that my resting heart rate the other 99% of the time I am awake is only 68ish while his is likely 100 or more so, the way I figured it, he should have about used up about all his heart's beats by now. People are so ignorant. Confused

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

How about a nonagenarian? Doc Whitney Of course, he's only run about 100 races - but then again, he didn't start running until he was 82!
                These people blow my mind......Big grin. Wink Big grin Its just great....... it also makes me feel young at my ripe old age of 56.......Maybe Ill be a good runner some day.. I cant wait to show this to my wife who thinks I ought to slow down just a little so I don't do any perm damage from all this running.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

rlemert

My publicly stated goal is to get fast enough to be competitive in my age group (56-60) in my local area. My secret goal is to be able to beat our local 78-year old speed demon. (I'm at least competitive with the 68 yo ladies locally - win a few, lose a few.)
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've had the pleasure of running along at races with a couple of guys at least a decade older than my dad (64). These dudes are so cool and I've seen a couple of these guys on numerous occasions. The one guy was encouraging me to look into competitive track events--unfortunately the meets are all over 2 hours away. But it was really inspiring to be rubbing elbows with these people. I wish I saw more older women at races. Maybe I'll have to BE one of those gals someday. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay