Do you Do This? (Read 1037 times)

Another option might be to alternate running on the road (slopes 2% away from center of road) with running on the sidewalk (slopes 2% toward curb). I know this brings up the issue of flexible pavement (asphalt) vs rigid pavement (concrete).... I think that I haven't had any issues with the side slope of the road because I have a pretty good mix of running in the road and running on non-motorized paths. The non-motorized paths I run are also primarily asphalt.
    Matt

2010 Races:
    March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
    May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
    June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
    June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
    September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
    September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
    KMB

I was going to say that I dont switch sides of the road, but i would have been lying. I do, but only to (a) run on a sidewalk that only exists on the 'with traffic' AND one of my kids is riding with me (so it is really to keep them on the sidewalk) or (b) if it is raining and there is far less water on the 'with traffic' side than the 'against traffic' side. Something that had an unintended upside was shifting most of my weekly miles to very early in the morning... the purpose of doing that was so that my DW could get her workout in at the gym before I had to leave to go to work... so I had to bump mine up to be completed before she needed to leave... so I often rise before 4 and am home by 530. That means I only have to share the road with the Milk truck, so most of my miles during the week are right down the middle of the road. Its dark and I gave up my ipod so I have my eyes and ears open and havent had a problem...
      mikeymike

Yeah common sense is pretty good, I've found. Any time this subject comes up there are always a few people who post in grave tones full of "always" and "nevers" when it comes to running with or against traffic. The thing is there is no side of the the roade that is always safer. You've got to be aware of your surroundings, use all of your senses, and make good decisions. Rules of thumb only go so far.

Runners run