Is this cheating? (Read 1201 times)

I log all time on feet, whether it's running, walking, hiking, mountaineering, backcountry skiing, etc...
    Hannibal Granite

I'm going to try to do a ruck walk every evening until I get up to 40 lbs and finally able to run it. But should I bother counting it in my log? thanks
      Like others have said it is your log so there is no 'cheating', but for accuracy sake it might be better to count it as cross-training or a different type of workout. However, I would strongly recommend against running w/ a rucksack or any significant extra wieght for that matter. It won't make you a faster or stronger runner it will only add extra stress to your body. I was stationed w/ an infantry unit and they routinely did Ruck runs and they also had a very high occurence of shin splits, knee, hip, and lower back injuries. Walk all you want with the ruck to get better at ruck marching, run more or faster to become a better runner, but for your own safety do not run with a rucksack.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Hannibal, we do rucks routinely for the ranger team, and I thought I should be practicing by running at least a couple times a week with my ruck. Will walking with the ruck be as beneficial for 6-7 ml runs? I know rucking isn't the best thing for your body, but I also hate falling back when we do the runs. eta: Jules, ya I think if I were to look back at my log after counting all those ruck walk miles, I'd probably wonder why I wasn't faster. I think my title should have just asked is this cheating to myself...lol. Thanks!
          Hey you gotta love this place, I've been rucking for years and didn't even know it..........I'm a mailman, I ruck 10k a day five days a week. The weight I carry is 20lbs max though and It depletes to zero every 1km or so Big grin MTA- No I don't count it

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Hannibal Granite

Hannibal, we do rucks routinely for the ranger team, and I thought I should be practicing by running at least a couple times a week with my ruck. Will walking with the ruck be as beneficial for 6-7 ml runs? I know rucking isn't the best thing for your body, but I also hate falling back when we do the runs. eta: Jules, ya I think if I were to look back at my log after counting all those ruck walk miles, I'd probably wonder why I wasn't faster. I think my title should have just asked is this cheating to myself...lol. Thanks!
            You'll fall back a lot more if you're injured Wink On a long Ruck march think of it like the tortoise and the hare, a steady (though not necessarily slow) pace on a march is much much more effective and efficient than really trying to go fast. You may fall back at first, but on a long march you'll still finish strong and uninjured by keeping a steady pace throughout. There is no prize except bragging rights for finishing first in a training march.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

I walk a half mile both before and after my run. I created a separate log for this called walking and log it there. As for is it cheating if you count it in your running log, not as far as I'm concerned. It's still mileage right?

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

My aerobic max is 122 bpm. Average 14:09 mile pace. My last race pace was 8:18 (7k). I count all my miles as runs as long as I stay in aerobic range.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/