Should I be following a ready-made plan or am I doing ok on my own? (Read 1223 times)

Prince of Fatness

Yeah, this place can be a double edged sword at times.  Lots of good advice, but you still need to go do the work of finding out what works for you.  As said earlier everybody is different.

For me, things started working when I became less fixated on numbers and more focused on just getting out the door consistently and getting some time on my feet.  I never realized how enjoyable an hour of easy running could be until maybe a year or so ago.  That's most days for me.  An hour easy.  A couple of hours on the weekend.

Not at it at all. 

...---...

These are very well thought out, lucid, and posts of sage advice. But if the initial questions were to be answered, what advice would you give to Osmium?

Yes, I felt that AP was attacking John A in what seemed to be pretty darn solid advice. I don't know John A and have no reason to stand on his side...I just don't like to see run/walkers get bullied. I don't take walk breaks all the time now - some days I just want to go and go and go on that cool fall day. But walk breaks are where I started and that's what kept me going. Sounds like Osmium is looking for something to keep her going too. Something to help her not dread a run. In these forums, you'll often hear the experienced runners say slow down and take it easy. I can't for the life of me find any situation where this and similar advice has failed a beginner.

QED.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

mikeymike

But if the initial questions were to be answered, what advice would you give to Osmium?

I'd say no, osmium, you don't need a ready-made training plan and yes, you're doing okay on your own.  I don't think there's much to be gained from HRM training at this point either.

I think your experiences have been very normal.  You've had a little injury scare.  You've had the experience of feeling mentally tired during a run.  Welcome to being a runner.  I'd focus for a while on working toward being an every day or pretty much every day runner.  I wouldn't worry about workouts or long runs at this point although it probably wouldn't hurt to do a few strides or stride drills on a flat, soft surface like a football field once a week or so.  There are some examples here.

You also mention enjoying running more, that's a good thing.  And then there's this:

Some quick background info. I have never been a runner before. I started C25K in February and finished April 1. I have lost 23kg (50lbs) this year so far. I want to continue running long term, so I don't want to be silly.

This is amazing progress in a short time.  Give yourself credit and allow yourself a few bumps along the way.

Runners run