Sleep and marathon training (Read 694 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But Zoomy, if you feel like 9-10 sounds right, you're probably not that dissimilar from the elites in that respect.
    Hey, at least I have *something* in common with those peeps...even if it's not speed or physique. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

You have to go with whatever makes you feel best Zoomy. If that's 9 - 10 hours and you can get them, then do so. Probably not practical... especially sleeping with DH. I know I am a sleep inhibitor to DW as well... for more reasons than snoring. Evil grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

TMI, man...TMI. *goes off to think of fluffy bunnies and kittens and rainbows*

~ Sarah Kay

milkbaby

I find that as I get older (only late 30s right now so older than before but probably not really "old"?!?), I need to get 8 hours a night. I used to get by with less, but from checking my running log, I realized that I don't recover as well on less sleep. I even saw that sleep was a factor in recovering from light "dings" or slight pains. For example, I have had some on and off plantar fasciitis, and reducing mileage/speedwork, icing, massage, etc. didn't alleviate it much. However, when I got enough sleep, it just went *poof* and disappeared. I was amazed, and that has definitely convinced me of my personal need to get enough sleep.
          "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I even saw that sleep was a factor in recovering from light "dings" or slight pains. For example, I have had some on and off plantar fasciitis, and reducing mileage/speedwork, icing, massage, etc. didn't alleviate it much. However, when I got enough sleep, it just went *poof* and disappeared. I was amazed, and that has definitely convinced me of my personal need to get enough sleep.
            I definitely hear that. And I wonder a bit if my own injury issues have stressed my body and increased the need for sleep more than running uninjured would.

~ Sarah Kay

Old, Slow, Happy

Maybe I'll take a nap to cure my runners knee. Big grin It does make some sense. Let's all see what the long weekend can do to help us heal.
                I have to say I get 7-9 hours of sleep consistently. Its taken me a long time to go to bed earlier to get it though. 9:30 and I'm on my way to bed... If not, I will be inconsistent with the 5:15 am wake time needed for me to run. I might miss some interesting TV but really not much else. Kids are in bed and I'm generally surfing the internet with the TV in the background. Would be irony to be up late reading runningahead only to snooze through my morning run!