100 push-ups/200 sit-ups (Read 6167 times)

MrH

100 minute plank challenge??

You should create a website and book about it.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

protoplasm72

Yes, we had a forum for some of us doing the 100 pushup challenge, a couple years ago. The forum owner eventually deleted it, after we all petered out. 100 pushups turns out to be pretty tough, at least for most of us, especially when you try to do them retaining good form. I got close, but didn't accomplish 100 with decent form.

I found Ted's video.  He's the only one we gave credit to for completing the 100.  The hard part was our rules stated no pauses or form breaks.  I watched my video again and my form sucked.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Yeah, Ted was inspiring; I was a bit sad when he deleted the forum, but he did give plenty of time to see if anyone would volunteer to take it over first, so I can't really complain.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Instead of 100 push ups,,, buy a new born calf,,, put it on your shoulders and walk a mile. Do it every day. In a few years you will be able to walk a mile with a cow on your shoulders.

Instead of 100 push ups,,, buy a new born calf,,, put it on your shoulders and walk a mile. Do it every day. In a few years you will be able to walk a mile with a cow on your shoulders.

what's this "walk" stuff? This is a running web site...

I found Ted's video.  He's the only one we gave credit to for completing the 100.  The hard part was our rules stated no pauses or form breaks.  I watched my video again and my form sucked.

Is there not a rule about having to go down all the way? A 100 even going down half way is very impressive, but shouldn't the chest have to nearly hit the floor to count?  He even says so at the end of the video.

jeffdonahue

I did the program back with AP.  Started at about 17 pushups and got to where I could 85ish - though I must admit probably 50-60 of them were with good form and the last 20 or so with bad form as fast as I could get them out.

But i also definitely noticed a difference in my upper body strength and in my muscle definition in the arms and chest area.   I just didnt stick with it because it is pretty freaking boring to sit there by yourself in the middle of your living room throwing down 5 sets of 50 pushups for a workout.  If i had had someone that was doing it with me, I think i woudl ahve stuck with it more.

Still would love to be able to say i could do 100, but that is a lot and as AP said, they progress way too fast in the program. 

protoplasm72

I did the program back with AP.  Started at about 17 pushups and got to where I could 85ish - though I must admit probably 50-60 of them were with good form and the last 20 or so with bad form as fast as I could get them out.

But i also definitely noticed a difference in my upper body strength and in my muscle definition in the arms and chest area.   I just didnt stick with it because it is pretty freaking boring to sit there by yourself in the middle of your living room throwing down 5 sets of 50 pushups for a workout.  If i had had someone that was doing it with me, I think i woudl ahve stuck with it more.

Still would love to be able to say i could do 100, but that is a lot and as AP said, they progress way too fast in the program. 

You could of done them on the bus/train on your way to work.  

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

protoplasm72

That explains MrH's horse picture.

xhristopher

20 years ago, during my senior year of wrestling, when I was in the best overall shape of my life I could do 100. Knowing how much work it took and how hard it was, I think I'll stick to running for now. Doing 50 good pushups would make me more than happy right now. 

Now, if you ask about "bicep curls" I think you will find lot's of experience around here.

A Saucy Wench

If you get over 25 pushups you would be better off spending some time on some of the variations.  Decline.  Uneven.  medicine ball, weighted, Climbovers, etc.

Unless you plan on running your next marathon on your hands.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

20 years ago, during my senior year of wrestling, when I was in the best overall shape of my life I could do 100. Knowing how much work it took and how hard it was, I think I'll stick to running for now. Doing 50 good pushups would make me more than happy right now. 

Now, if you ask about "bicep curls" I think you will find lot's of experience around here.

Perhaps that's why I always got thrown around on the mat. I think I could do about 20 pushups back then. However, I never got beat because of lack of endurance :-)  

You're right about being in great shape for wrestling. Not necessarily running shape, but over-all body shape. My track seasons usually sucked because of a lack of a running base. 

Are these the beer goggles the kids are always talking about? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

xhristopher

Perhaps that's why I always got thrown around on the mat. I think I could do about 20 pushups back then. However, I never got beat because of lack of endurance :-)  

You're right about being in great shape for wrestling. Not necessarily running shape, but over-all body shape. My track seasons usually sucked because of a lack of a running base. 

I thought the wrestling/running combo worked great but I didn't know anyone else who did it. I did CC in the fall, wrestled in the winter, and track in the spring. I was definitely best at wrestling, probably thanks to CC. In wrestling I kept up with maintenance running and always went into track in very good shape. 

Fitness from wrestling (all those push-ups...) contributed to one of the highlights of my lackluster HS track career where I was an average 800-1500 runner. That highlight was tossing the shot put for a point at a small meet. If it didn't conflict with my events the coach would let me throw it for "fun."  I was usually best right out of of wrestling when I was still strong. I think it's unusual to score points both the 800 and shot put in the same meet.

I think what Jeff said about "freaking boring" is right. I'd have a very hard time sticking to it now days.

keeponrunning

Just did circuit training, and I'm thinking I likely got 60 push-ups in, with good form.  My arms and shoulders are now feeling it.  Joking

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022