The classic question... (Read 1195 times)

Run with people. I dunno if you do already, but I know it kills me to get out and run on days off from practice if I don't have anyone to run with.
    PRs: 1000: 3:01 1 Mile: 4:55 2 Mile: 10:55 2009 Goals: Sub 4:50 mile, 2:50 1000 meter, Good first real XC season

Queen of 3rd Place

Sounds like you have some cognitive baggage from HS x-country, you LEARNED that running was torture, and your head is stuck with that idea. It will be hard to unlearn that lesson, but I suspect if you keep at it and look for the pleasant aspects of running (for me, it's simply getting outside and enjoying the scenery - who knows what it will be for you) eventually you'll learn that running is fun. Give it a few months, at least. If that doesn't work, nothing wrong with Save Cheevers advice. You can always find another sport that *is* fun for you. Arla

Ex runner

rrand

Thank you so much to everyone who responded! I read through everyone's advice; it's all valuable, since you are all at a point where I'm not at...YET. I'm going to stick with it. I made a list of everything that I like about running and stuck it on my bulletin board. I'm in the process of making some new playlists on my ipod. I tried to get a running partner, but I'm studying in France and everyone knows that the French don't exercise. They just smoke and eat croissants. I'm also thinking about good goals to set for myself. Thanks again, this was very encouraging, Becca
          The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. The answer is blowing in the wind.
          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
            So if you're just looking for a way to stay healthy and fit, play basketball, soccer, softball, hockey, lift weights, swim, bike, take aerobics, do what you like. If you force yourself to do something you hate, you'll resent it (e.g. your X-Country experience). Anyway, I will bet that if you quit tomorrow, you will be back eventually. Maybe it's just not time yet.
            I agree - I swam when I was your age (oh - I can't believe I'm saying that but heck I'm double 19 now.) I loved to swim and did an hour to an hour and a half every day just because I loved the feel - no club, goal or reason. Now I run and swimming has paled. Do what makes you happy - don't do torture. I tried to run at 17, was able to but hated it, came back at 35 and liked it, came back again at 38 and loved it. Maybe you'll never enjoy it, but that is okay. There are plenty of ways to stay healthy.

skinnycaponesugar

My opinion as a newbie runner that doesn't think it is a chore anymore: When used to think about every single step, it was torture. I tried to run watching my posture, my pace, and especially my breathing. My head would fill up with thoughts questioning why I was putting myself through such torture, I wasn't measuring up to my own expectactions. My advice is to not think too hard about what you're doing, do not escrutinize every single step, look ahead as far as the path goes, THERE is where you want to be... breath easy and free your mind of negative thoughts. Smile. Big grin By the way if you're out there despite not wanting to, I'd say you're already hooked, you just don't know it yet...

Love, Run, Sleep

Feeling the growl again

but I'm studying in France and everyone knows that the French don't exercise. They just smoke and eat croissants. Becca
                Actually it's fairly easy to get the French to run with you....just put a German in front of them and they'll make pretty good time in the other direction ;D Sorry, couldn't resist. I would suggest trying to run in new places frequently. Scenery is a real motivator for me. I used to live in places that were not necessarily pretty, but the scenery did change during the run so it kept things interesting. Now I live in flat farmland that all looks the same with straight square roads, so I have little variety and it is harder even for an addict like me to run. Trails are THE BEST. It has been mentioned before, but set goals! They don't have to be speed or race oriented, just something to work towards. My wife just goes for time and days run per week, and her attitude was much like yours. This is enough to keep her at it. For years I had concrete goals and I could force myself to run in anything and at any time. Now I don't have concrete goals, and not surprisingly my training is not the same.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jeffdonahue

Try to mix it up and keep it interesting - explore parts of your city you have never been (though try not to get lost). I usually have my ipod on adn that helps me to keep my mind off my legs. I find that if you are out there and all you are doing is concentrating on your running form, speed, distance, time, etc... that it does become agonizing. Enjoy the scenery, daydream, find someone to run with that you can talk to.