Under-desk Exercise Bikes (Read 1473 times)

I was just made aware of these little exercise bikes (sorta) that you can place under a desk and pedal whilst at work.  It sounds like a good thing to be doing while spending seven sedentary hours in a chair.  Has anyone ever used one of these things?  If so, what brand/model and what were the things you liked/disliked about it?

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

No idea, but I thought you'd find this link interesting:

http://www.brainrules.net/exercise

I've never heard of anything like you describe. My wife's boss is a fitness buff and bought some large exercise balls for the office staff to sit on while working at their desks. They engage your stabilizer muscles as you sit and type away. I'm not sure how much they use them, but they have the option.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

I've never heard of anything like you describe. My wife's boss is a fitness buff and bought some large exercise balls for the office staff to sit on while working at their desks. They engage your stabilizer muscles as you sit and type away. I'm not sure how much they use them, but they have the option.

They also increase blood flow to your spine and can help keep people with back issues...wish my employer would do this...but I doubt an exercise ball would fit in my tiny cube.

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

Imminent Catastrophe

That just sounds like a lame infomercial

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

My wife had one and used it for several months.  It worked ok but it got very hot after awhile (the energy from the resistance has to dissapate in some form).

I would say that if you are interested in burning some extra calories to lose weight, it is probably an ok idea if you dedicate yourself to being regular about it.  However, it is NOT going to keep you "fit" regarding endurance or strength.  They simply can't handle the resistance loads to do this, and if they did would you really want your coworkers to walk by to find you sitting at your desk, breathing heavily and sweating, while you are obviously doing something under the desk?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have seen folks use treadmill desks.

Menace to Sobriety

Unfortunately, in this day and age, someone would fall off the ball and get hurt, sue the employer for something and go out on disability for several years. Sad, but true.

We have exercise equipment  where I work, but I have to sign a release and get MY doctor's permission before I can use them, even though I get a physical from the company doctor every year. The smokers, of course, need no such medical approval to utilize the company provided smoking areas.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

I have seen folks use treadmill desks.

Ah, yes, the Steelcase Walkstation...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ah, yes, the Steelcase Walkstation...

Don't you think it's time HMI came up with the Bikestation™?  Slackers.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay