Post Race Depression (Read 897 times)

Just know that you've got a lot of low-hanging fruit (especially in running) that you can pick on more moderate, less time intensive training. You don't have to repeat what you just did, and in fact probably repeating what you just did would likely be a bad training decision that would lead to serious burnout.

So, I like the suggestion of going for a mile PR or a 5k PR. See how fast you can get on 35-40mpw. You might surprise yourself.

I fear burnout!  I don't want that.

I like the suggestions regarding the 1 mile PR and the 5k PR (as a few have suggested).

I'm confident that I'd PR in my 1st 1 mile attempt (since I've never run a 1 mile run).  I don't even know where I'd "race" a race that short. 

Are you suggesting PR by just running it, or finding races that run 1 mile events?

Also, my 5k PR is pretty slow (since I've only run 1 5k in my life, and finished about 27 minutes).  

I'm hoping to beat George Bush speed and have considered the goal of saying that I can run faster than him. 

In fact, for all race distances other than the 1/2 marathon (5k, 10k, marathon, olympic distance triathlon, 1/2 Ironman, and Ironman), I've raced each of those distances only 1 time (I think).  For smaller triathlons (sprint distance), I've never repeated a race entry the following year.

For the 1/2 marathon, I've raced 3 times.

Maybe shorter distances are calling my name this fall.

2014 Goals:

#1: Do what I can do. <DOING>

#2: 365 Hours training <NOPE, INJURED>

Yep, low-hanging fruit for the taking.  When I click on your Personal Records list (which I consider to be a RA'ers Running Resumé) I see that it is sorely lacking.  Maybe make a goal of filling out your running resumé and try to improve that resumé year-after-year.  Seeking out those races and training for / running them can be quite fulfilling.

* added accents and also want to make clear that I'm not dogging anyone who isn't into running all distances of race for times.  Just suggesting something that has really made a difference for me.

DoppleBock

I put every ounce of life into preparing for a race in 2010 - It took until this February while running a winter 50k trail race to decided I cared about running again ~ 19 months of just going through the motions.

What I learned is I cannot put every ounce of life into one event that will be over.  I need to keep nuturing the other parts of me and my life at least a minimum amount, making them important too. 

Although I care about getting back into top form this year - I am patient and have many other non-running life goals I am trying to hit too.

http://a-big-horse.blogspot.com/ 

2013 Goals ~ Mar < 3:00, 5M < 29, 10k < 35  

Yep, low-hanging fruit for the taking.  When I click on your Personal Records list (which I consider to be a RA'ers Running Resumé) I see that it is sorely lacking.  Maybe make a goal of filling out your running resumé and try to improve that resumé year-after-year.  Seeking out those races and training for / running them can be quite fulfilling.

* added accents and also want to make clear that I'm not dogging anyone who isn't into running all distances of race for times.  Just suggesting something that has really made a difference for me.

I seldom go to the PR section, and it took me quite a while now just to find it....

In the little defense I have regarding my race resume, I've only raced a 4 times (???) since I started logging information on RA.

I started using RA 1/1/2011.

Before that, I ran my 1 and only (5k, 10k, and marathon).

My marathon PR was from Dec '09 (3:43:45), my 1/2 marathon PR was from Dec '10 (1:41:30), and I don't remember my other PR's.

But, what's showing isn't a true representation of my PR's.

BTW, my 5:11:10 marathon PR that's showing was preceded by 7+ hours of other stuff on a hot day in Houston in May... Smile

But, I understand the message of your post, and appreciate it.

Thanks.

MTA: updated my PR's by adding the races I know about from before I joined RA

2014 Goals:

That funk is normal for me and it starts with 'I have all this extra time now that I'm not running'.  It doesn't last long and always feels like it's a forever-feeling.

Personally I'd probably pick up a book, maybe on how to BQ (Run Less, Run Faster), or an Ultra Running Book (Run!, or Ultra Running With Scott Jurek).  When I read how much infinitely more effort someone else is putting into their training, it reminds me how much more I could be doing. 

Thank you!

Purchased Run Less, Run Faster.

Tonight, I'll be reading.

Gracias!

2014 Goals: