Proper breathing technique during a run or race (Read 1175 times)

Definitely you want to breathe during a race. Sprint or distance, either way, you're definitely gonna want to be breathing.

I wonder whether it makes much difference in 100m sprint?

DoppleBock

Never have taken a yoga class or no anything about it.  But I learned proper breathing with 5 vocal credits in college ~ If you do not believe me - get me drunk and I will sing dirty songs to you.

Dunno where you got it, but many of us got 'belly breathing' from the same place as the post right above yours... yoga. 

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

That would be easy to prove! 

I read some studies WAY BACK that found most elite sprinters didn't breathe during their 100m dashes.

But I'd not try to apply that to the mile.  Just breathe.  Even if there were some nugget of wisdom, it's not an absolute that would apply perfectly to every kid in the class.  To get the kids off the breathing topic, have them focus on something else, like how they feel, hanging with the person in front of them, the weird sound pattern of the mile (hubbub at the start/finish, but oddly quiet save for a jumble of footstrikes and breathing elsewhere), ...

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Maybe a glib answer, but I would not want to introduce another thing to think about during a run especially a race.

+1

Why can't we let our body decide how best to get the necessary oxygen? I thought the reason you change your breathing while running was the body wasn't getting enough oxygen and it changed you to breathe differently to fix it. Now, if one says run slow enough so you 'can' breathe through the nose, that's a different story. But that's controlling your running speed not your breathing.

running is somewhat like playing golf to me.   crappy shots all day long, ready to give it up & wondering why I'm trying so hard just to get this stupid little ball into a stupid little hole but then out of the blue comes a monster drive or a long putt that actually gets into the cup.  bingo! that one shot keeps me going for the rest of day no matter how crappy I continue to play & gets me back out again on another day.   strange. -- skyedog

One thing I think is a myth is the breathing through your nose and exhaling through your mouth.  That doesn't prevent cramps or keep you from losing your breath.  Right? 

I don't see how you can get enough oxygen that way. 

Btw, Tief,I printed out your 800 and 1600m tips for some of the kids at my son's school. They liked it! So, thanks!!

Hoban-Jay

Proper breathing technique !? 

My suggestion is IN and then follow up with OUT.  That has worked for me for over 45 years...any and all activities...running, tennis, basketball, walking even sleeping!  Can you imagine that?

-------------------------------------------------------

I've heard of (and tried) the nose breathing thing...what it means is you'll end up running a whole heck of alot slower than you have ever imagined in your life.  Ninety year old people with walkers will pass you in races.  This will continue until you decide it's ridiculous and you return to normal running and breathing.

Why is it sideways?

Never have taken a yoga class or no anything about it.  But I learned proper breathing with 5 vocal credits in college ~ If you do not believe me - get me drunk and I will sing dirty songs to you.

DB wins.

Run with your head up.  If you are looking at the ground while running you may be not be getting quite as much air.

DanB

Breathing = good Not breathing = bad

2013 Goals.......

Doc, my tooth hurts

If you were lucky enough to be born with 2 lungs, I would use both of those simultaneously.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If you were lucky enough to be born with 2 lungs, I would use both of those simultaneously.

How about alternating them?  Inhale left, exhale right, and vice versa.

Doc, my tooth hurts

How about alternating them?  Inhale left, exhale right, and vice versa.

Depends.

I alternate when it comes to easy days. One easy run I'll do just the left lung and then the next day just the right lung. I save using both for quality work and races.

The Terminator

For easy running, I do 2:2.  Tempo running and races, 2:1.  Intervals, 1:1.  Although, after reading some of the other responses (specifically, those of you who do 2:2 in races), I am wondering if I run my easy runs too fast.  If 12 minute miles could ever be considered fast, that is.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I read this article (about Josh McDougal and high school track) http://www.tullyrunners.com/Articles/RaucciArticle.htm a few years ago and started practicing nose breathing only.  

I find that in races if I start mouth breathing, I seem to gulp air and my form deteriorates.  It feels like frantic breathing.  

I've noticed in my "bad" races I start breathing through my mouth and I just can't get enough air in, or it's not going in right.  However, if I breathe through my nose I can take the air in fully and peacefully, and then exhale the same way.

Bill Wagnon / stl