Does the Boston Incident mean that all races need to tighten security? (Read 190 times)

No Talent Drips

Really? We even need a pole for this?

10 footer.

Dei Gratia

Revenge of the Nerd

I heard some discussion on the airwaves about marathons finishing in stadiums as a way to control spectator access.  I've run a mara, a 5K and a 10K that all ended in stadiums. It's a decent idea and a fun way to finish, but there are many venues where stadiums are not available.  And in terms of density we should also focus on ways to protect the start of a race.

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

Kalsarikännit

10 footer.

Doubtful they would target field events. Does anyone actually watch the "F" of T&F?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Dream Maker

I am really not sure how you could possibly do to make it that much more safe over 26.2 without completely eliminating spectators, and uhh, running it on military bases or other places that outsiders.  I'm guessing that trying would lead to additional costs and frustration without much applicable benefit.

I already don't like the fences blocking the post race area from non runners you have to go out of your way to get around on the rare race I'm actually able to bring family.

I'm hoping the small ones that I gravitate towards don't have much happening with this.

Doubtful they would target field events. Does anyone actually watch the "F" of T&F?

Occasionally I'll watch the girls' triple jump.

Runners run

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I'm not sure it's races specifically we should be worrying about.  It wasn't really an attack on runners--it was an attack on a public gathering.  So while it made sense to step up airport security after a series of airplane-based terrorist attacks, it doesn't make sense to step up security at a local 5k because terrorists chose to target the Boston Marathon.

What I do think is wise are better public safety measures across the board, and I'm certain organizations like NYRR will take measures anyway.  But so should parade organizers and police and so forth.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

GC100k

Hey.  I'm a former jumper and my son is a jumper and thrower (actually injured and just a thrower right now).

Must admit you're pretty much right.  No one outside the sport even knows what a hammer or 35 lb weight looks like.

Pole vault.

Get off my porch

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xhristopher

Not dead. Yet.

I wonder why?  Wink

Thank you for that link.  Wow.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Hoban-Jay

I used to do the "F" part of T and F, but I sucked so bad my coach asked me to be the javelin catcher.