So Rock-N-Roll has updated its' Heavy Medals. . . (Read 276 times)

I despise RNR races for all the same reasons stated in some of the posts above.  But, I will consider doing one for free sometime.  My employer sponsors some races every year and usually that comes with some number of free entries for employees.  One of these days, I will probably avail myself of that perquisite and set aside my principles.  ;-)   Heck, I might even try to catch a sag wagon and get me a sub 2:30 PR, put me in pretty elite company then!

Hey, that might kick up the attendance numbers.....   --- Sell high-priced passes that allow you to hop on board an "Elite" sag wagon... One that'll get you to the line before the 2:30 mark! :-D

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Not wanting to burst anyone's bubble, but the way I read that is that the sag wagon goes at the five-hour pace, so that's when you cross the finish line.  Now, if races start replacing their pacers with sag wagons running at a variety of paces including elite, they might be on to something! Smile

Joann Y

Hey look, heavy metal only five minutes from my house and only 13 bucks! Can't beat that. Technically noise rock, but who's counting? I could even jog there and back, for free! Oh wait, wrong thread...?

Not wanting to burst anyone's bubble, but the way I read that is that the sag wagon goes at the five-hour pace, so that's when you cross the finish line.  Now, if races start replacing their pacers with sag wagons running at a variety of paces including elite, they might be on to something! Smile

Nope.  This has been reported on repeatedly - the sag wagons pick up folks below pace, leave the course to drop them either farther along the course or at the finish line, then circles back to pick up the folks who've fallen behind while they were gone.

jpdeaux

Nope.  This has been reported on repeatedly - the sag wagons pick up folks below pace, leave the course to drop them either farther along the course or at the finish line, then circles back to pick up the folks who've fallen behind while they were gone.

Everybody who "ran" the Hyannis Marathon that was cancelled this year can pick up their shirts, and medals, at their local Marathon Sports. Seems like just cancelling races could save money on the sag wagons, and people would still get what they "ran" for, medals and shirts. Win-win. Well, except for the no first place winner part.

Everybody who "ran" the Hyannis Marathon that was cancelled this year can pick up their shirts, and medals, at their local Marathon Sports. Seems like just cancelling races could save money on the sag wagons, and people would still get what they "ran" for, medals and shirts. Win-win. Well, except for the no first place winner part.

Well, I propose we do the "honor" system.  Just submit to them the times you 'think' you could have run, and they can determine winners that way.    Paul Ryan would come in second, bested only by Brian Williams who takes first place.  (too easy, too easy...)

I'll be honest on this RNR thing... Personally I find that I am running them more for the event itself, than actually to set a PR or make it a goal race most of the time.    When they come to Virginia Beach in August, it is usually hot as h3ll here, so I get the race done, but find the time with friends and beeeer drinking on the beach after the event is the better part of that deal.  Last year, someone in the crowd handed me a can of Bud Light at mile 11 and I took that succer + drank it.  Would not do that in a goal race...

---  OOh, an ephiphany just hit on why their participation numbers are down.  MGD 64 is the official beer sponsor.  Change that to some awesome microbrews and that may increase the interest in post race festivities quite a bit?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Feeling the growl again

Well, I propose we do the "honor" system.  Just submit to them the times you 'think' you could have run, and they can determine winners that way.    Paul Ryan would come in second, bested only by Brian Williams who takes first place.  

POD

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills