Garmin Forerunner 405 (Read 3619 times)

26.63 mi for the marathon seems pretty accurate to me. Not many marathons have the blue line that shows you the exact 26.2 mi that was certified. Plus if the course does have it how many people other then the elites stick to it. Maybe that person ran wide around some of the turns and that caused the difference in distance. When you’re talking about .05 of a mi difference that really isn’t much. Beats doing it the old way by driving it in your car. plus that could be off to.
    "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz
    Sulli42

26.63 - 26.2 = 0.43mi. That's 692 metres. To me, that is alot.
        About 1.5% out. That's pretty accurate by my books.

Marathon runners suffer the agony of da feet

The Greatest of All Time

I don't want to sound like a insulting pragmatist , but I am going to anyway.... Why are some of you worried about .2 or .3 or whatever of a damn mile? Does it make that much difference? Do your logs need to be that accurate? Are you going to eat .002 grams more ice cream if you actually run .02 extra miles? Talk about becoming a slave to technology. Please stop making something simple so unnecessarily complicated. Just Run
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Personally, I've used and own a 305 & a 405. The 405 I'm finding is almost exactly .05 off on almost every run from the 305 - varying by length of run. My running parter also has a 405 and we are always exactly .03 off from each other starting & stopping at the same time.... My brother and his training team are experiencing the exact same inaccuracies. I've been doing a bit of back & forth with Garmin who says "the 405 is 95% accurate".... I heard another experience with the 405 stating it clocked her marathon at 26.62 miles.... not ok with me Smile I'll update when I hear more from Garmin Smile Good luck! Suffice to say.... the 305 is proving more accurate for me & my running partner & my brother
            Accuracy is measured as how close something is to the truth, the gold standard. What is the gold standard against which you (and others) are comparing these devices when judging their accuracy? Course certification certifies that a course is AT LEAST a length, but it can be long. A certified marathon can be more than 26.2 miles. Perhaps 0.6 miles long. If that is your gold standard, then your gold standard too may be inaccurate. And what Marcus said.