Sweaty guys help! (Read 1406 times)

Marylander

Cool, glad I could be helpful. I bought one for my Dad too but, at 74 years old, he was unwilling to put something so weird on his head. Wink So, now I've got one for lawn work and such too so there's less chance I'll lose the running one.

Kirk

The shirtless wonder

Cool, glad I could be helpful. I bought one for my Dad too but, at 74 years old, he was unwilling to put something so weird on his head. Wink So, now I've got one for lawn work and such too so there's less chance I'll lose the running one.

Kirk

Well, at 30 years old I'm not too keen on wearing a headband either.  The benefits outweigh the negative impact to my self image though!

dennrunner

At the risk of derailing this thread...

What do you do about sweat getting into your eyes?  When I run the sweat always ends up in my eyes and it burns like crazy.  I think I sweat sulfuric acid.  I end up taking my glasses off and wiping away the sweat but it's not that much of a help.  It is very temporary.

Try using a solid sunscreen stick like Banana Boat Sport on your forehead.  It doesn't decrease the sweat volume, but at least for me, it greatly decreases the sting from the sweat.  I don't know the chemistry involved (probably raises the pH slightly) or if it works for everyone, but it sure works on my sweat.  I've been using it successfully for years.

Running Warehouse often offers clothes for a great price if you buy a pair of shoes.  I bought a Nike DriFit shirt which is tight, but not a compression shirt.  I can comfortably run 20 miles in Florida with that shirt, no band aids, and I've bought three more since.  By the end, my shorts are swishing back and forth, drenched, but my upper body is still comfortable.
          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

At the risk of derailing this thread...

What do you do about sweat getting into your eyes?  When I run the sweat always ends up in my eyes and it burns like crazy.  I think I sweat sulfuric acid.  I end up taking my glasses off and wiping away the sweat but it's not that much of a help.  It is very temporary.

About the only thing that keeps the sweat out of my eyes are my eyebrows.  When I see drops forming on them, I wipe them off.  Hats, visors, etc, don't help - I end up getting a headache from the headband pressure and the heat.  As far as the rest of the clothing on a humid day, it's tech shirts and dark tech shorts - but after a 1/2 hour or so I'm soaked anyway, so from that point on it's grin and bear it (and sometimes bare it - top half, anyway).  In the fall / winter, when a tech hat helps, I'll stick a shamwow in there to keep it from soaking up too much sweat, but in the summer it's just too damn hot.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I sweat like a pig even in cool weather. At 63 I don't care how I look, so I'll sometimes where a headband, other times a do-rag, and others a wicking cap. The cap gets soaked all the way to the end of the bill! My wife couldn't believe it! For a shirt I alternate between snug fitting sleeveless tech shirt and sleeveless compression shirts. This is the first summer I have run thru since starting C25K the end of last july.

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

If you're a hot guy, you need to run without a shirt. Period. That's all folks...
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If you're a hot guy, .....

We need a password protected forum for guy issues, to avoid harassment like... wait... we're guys, we like harassment. Never mind, carry on.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Harassment? Pshh, don't lie, you know you like it. Tongue Now, if I had said all hot females need to run without a shirt, what would your response be?
                    happiejacquie

My kids can tell how far I have run by the size of the sweat ring on my t-shirt.  They have fun guessing my distance for the day...they are usually right on.   Gross, but true.
                      monkeysh1ne

mmm..coffee...

I have that problem too and a hat helps a little but after awhile I'm still getting sweat in my eyes. Here's what solved the problem:

Halo headband

It sounds like a gimmick but it isn't...it works really well. In very hot, humid conditions I wear it with a hat over it, and it really makes a difference. Leaves a funny mark on your forehead but that goes away quickly.

They also make a hat with the headband built in but it's ugly and the hat is too small. Get the headband.

I too suffer from some fierce sweat/sunblock in my eyes and usually end up looking like some kind of stoner after a good run, to say nothing of the hurt! - can anyone point me to a trustworthy supplier of said miracle Halo items in Enzed (New Zealand)?  If they're as good as I hear then I'm for sure keen to grab some!  With my first half marathon coming up my training has increased significantly and less distractions/pain = better performance!!  Thanks!

keeponrunning

easy solution- move to Canada!!  only get about 1-2 mo where it is hot enough to worry about sweat in the eyes.  I will admit, we have 4 mo where you need tech fabrics, but still better than 12 mo!

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022