Two choices: which is better overall? (Read 1503 times)

geekfarm@centurytel.net

This can't be a serious question, because one important detail was left out. What cadence is each method done at?
    I thought a train with a bar car would be MPH not cadence. Now I confused, I'll have to go back and reread the question.
    Hannibal Granite

I think you might be trolling, but I'll bite anyway. I disagree with a couple of your basic premisis 1. he has no injury potential even a young healthy male with no history of injuries and perfect biomechanics can get injured, doing too much too soon can cause even the heartiest among us to break down. If we knew he was never going to get injured why stop at 5 days and 50 miles/week why not jump immediately to 7-10 workouts a week and 100+ miles/week? 2. I don't believe you hamper your aerobic base by doing hard workouts. If you drop overall mileage during the time you are doing the intervals then you may start to lose some of that base/aerobic ability, but doing just one interval session per week and keeping the rest of the mileage the same will not cause this to happen. If you continue doing hard workouts for too long you can get stale or overtrained, but that is not the same as losing aerobic ability. You have said his goals are he wants to race well, and he also wants to have a really solid aerobic base. This is sort of like saying I want to buy lots of expensive things and I want lots of money, you want the money so you can buy the things. He wants the aerobic base so he can race well, he's tried buying things with little money (no base) and found he couldn't afford the things he really wanted (fast times). Since he has ran several races and has been running for only a year I can assume that he wants to race more than twice a year as well, which he couldn't do under plan B. What you have described with plan A is a fairly standard approach (because it works) which would still allow for 2 peaks a year with some other races mixed in and the majority of the time still devoted to building or maintaining the base. Not to mention that you said yourself the the races would be worse with plan B, which, if true, should completely negate that as even an option.

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

C. Wait, what was the question? Hey, who took my beer?! Surprised Embarrassed Angry Undecided Sad Cry

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hannibal Granite

I must type slow b/c when I started my first response there were no other posts exept for the original

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

Lazy idiot

Snark travels faster than legitimacy. Evil grin

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I must type slow b/c when I started my first response there were no other posts exept for the original
              No, you're not slow. It's just that the SVU is that fast...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

JakeKnight

Snark travels faster than legitimacy. Evil grin
                Silence. I keeeeel you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

Why is it sideways?

Holy Schnikes. Snark attack. Who chummed up the pirañas?

Prophet!

must be the badminton players
                    machinebaard

If we knew he was never going to get injured why stop at 5 days and 50 miles/week why not jump immediately to 7-10 workouts a week and 100+ miles/week?
                      Because i believe that getting the maximum out of a lower mileage first will help getting a higher amount (of aerobic fitness) from a higher mileage which you would otherwise not reach. That is the whole point of plan B. Therefore the slow build-up. Or am i thinking wrong?
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Because i believe that getting the maximum out of a lower mileage first will help getting a higher amount (of aerobic fitness) from a higher mileage which you would otherwise not reach. That is the whole point of plan B. Therefore the slow build-up. Or am i thinking wrong?
                        Slow buildup is one thing, but Plan B does it on a geologic timescale. Plan A, with all of the easy runs done real easy -- there's your answer.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This was no boat accident. It was a snark.

Slow buildup is one thing, but Plan B does it on a geologic timescale. Plan A, with all of the easy runs done real easy -- there's your answer.
                            Adding in some downhill running, especially on a treadmill, should help to shorten up the timeframe from geologic to lifetime for plan B.
                            Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Feeling the growl again

There is no truth behind needing to do all slow runs to maximize the aerobic system. You'll get max aerobic development by doing a mix of paces. Aerobic only loses out when anaerobic work reaches the point where recovery dictates cutting out runs or reducing overall mileage significantly. Besides injury prevention, there is no need for the slow progression of B. Why wait to exhaust potential before moving on if you can handle it? I moved from 40mpw to 60 mpw overnight, and again to 70 mpw overnight, then began hitting 100 mpw regularly almost overnight. You reap benefits FAST that way, as long as you don't get injured.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

What I have discovered from running and knowing other runners is runners come in catorgies. You have endurance oriented and what I term power oriented(myself). The endurance oriented runner probably will be able to increase mileage without much of a problem and will continue to improve by that alone(low Hr training). This guy probably is slow twitch endowed. This is the type that will injure easy from fast speed work and probably doesn't adapt to it fast(or enjoy it). If this is you and you race marathons your set with option B. In fact you may only need a few tempo's at best to sharpen up for your race. The power oriented runner will get injured from high mileage and will platue from it quickly. Speed work comes easy and you can usually sharpen up fast. Generally this runner gains more fitness(*even aerobic fitness)through some type of intensity. What I have noticed in myself and other power oriented runners is we adapt to a certain kind of running fast, platue and fall flat quickly if you don't switch the training emphasis. If this is you you would probably be better off following a 4 month cycle(3 peaks year), or finding a repeated cycle scheme(Lydiard race week non race week)to follow. So option A would work better. This kind of runner probaly enjoy's workouts and might bore easily from long slow distance runs(though he shouldn't neglect them). To summarize- If you are power oriented- Short 4-6 month cycles- Build mileage phase>hills>anaerobic> race. Wash rinse and repeat. 3 years go by and your running higher mileage like runner B and racing good. Endurance oriented- Keep building mileage using HR as a gauge if you will. When you hit max mileage(which will come fast) slowly add in short periods of intense running before races(start using tempo's, and progress in intensity each cycle). 3 years go by and your handeling speed work like runner A and racing good. So both work. Figure out what works for you. The power guy(A) will probably run better 5-10k's early on and poor marathons(if any). The endurance guy will probaly pop off decent marathons early on but won't do good at 5-10k(and he probably won't enjoy it anyways). Both types of runners remain consistant and you can experience decent races in both worlds in time though you probably will always excel in "your" distance. What gets me is you have a power oriented runner that just starts running. He like many others gets the marathon bug. Races it, compares it to his blazing fast 5k(though he didn't even train for a 5k) punches it into Mcmillian's calcs and suddenly the internet world convinced him he has some sort of "Aerobic Deficiency". This is where to much on hand information gets dangerous. Suddenly he is directed on what could be a wrong path.
                                PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?