Any product testers out there? (Read 741 times)

I signed up today on the New Balance website to be a footwear product tester.  I don't know if I just fell for an elaborate scheme to get my e-mail address and info or what.  Anyone out there signed up with New Balance (or anyone else for that matter) and actually tested any gear.  I figure if I can put 100 miles on a pair of shoes that I didn't buy, that's 100 miles I didn't have to put on my shoes.  I don't know, maybe I just emit some type of "sucker" aura.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've tested a couple of shoes for NB.  It's been a while, but it's a pretty cool program.  And, like you said, it's free miles.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I signed up in April and got picked to test almost right away and had a pair of 1064s may to mid June and then just got done testing my secound pair a few weeks ago.

Pretty easy program.  They UPS the shoes to you with return label - prepaid.  Just wear the shoes and usually fill out survey after 10 days and then final which is typically six weeks.  Then just drop the shoes off at UPS and thats it.

So yeah a few extra free miles is not that bad.  A lot on how soon/often you get selected has to do with shoe size (I wear a 9.5 which is what they test a lot in initial test).

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

spinach

I've been testing for them for four or five years.  It is a pretty nice program, there are some drawbacks though.  I think I have tested about 25 pairs and some of the shoes were great and some were crap. 

If you have a good pair, like the one I just sent back this week, then the program is great.  I got in a lot of miles on good new shoes, free miles as you say.  And I was very sorry to send the shoes back.  This is the good part.

And then there are the shoes I tested earlier this year.  Holes were worn in the sock liners in the first 20 miles I had the shoes, bumps developed in the uppers, I could not get the lacing adjusted correctly, things like that. I hever got the shoes to feel comfortable and I felt to give them an adequate test of the soles, what they were interested, in I had to keep on wearing them run after run.  That is the down side you may get a pair of shoes that don't work for you and you feel committed to giving them a complete test. 

It's a good program, I have gotten the opportunity to test a wide variety of shoe types and found some that I like, but sometimes you get a great shoe, sometimes it is a clunker.

Would concur with spinach .. Loved my 1064's (not out till nov) and ended up buying a pair of 1063 which I also

like based on the test. 

Then just had a pair (not even sure model) that the test was really for a recycled material on an existing model... the shoes were stability and I am a pure neutral due to high arch.  I hated these shoes but as spinach said felt obligated to keep wearing them but limited to my short runs as was not going to damage foot.  After a while I did not hate them so much as either I got used to them or they had a long break in period.  I checked the model and they were more low - mid level shoe and just explained to test program that they did not fit foot style nor type of shoe when logging somewhat serious miles, but I wore them as much as I could.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

I signed up for a few - NB, Brooks, etc, but haven't ever heard from any of them beyond the confirmation email that they got my application.

Imminent Catastrophe

Signed up with two companies, but never heard another word. Apparently I am not the demographic that they are interested in.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

geekfarm@centurytel.net

I signed up with Brooks. Within a couple of months they sent me a pair of Cascadia 4 trail shoes. I do some trail running so it was great to get the shoes. They were grea,. like you said, free miles. The best part was they wanted you to fill out a long questionare but didn't want the shoes back. I don't know about other companies policies  but this was unexpected.
                    Just got an email invite to test for Brooks a couple of days ago and got a tracking # last night showing the first pair on the way. Anyone else get in on this recently? It's a little stupid how excited I am about some free running shoes. I hope they don't suck.
                      I have some friends who shoe test for Trail Runner magazine.  Unfortunately they don't have shoe samples in Mens 13, so I can't test.  It's a good deal...they always have tons of free shoes.