Did I make the right decision? (Read 912 times)

mark-bixler

Ran 5 miles last night on the treadmill rather than outside yesterday morning because I overslept. Was scheduled for a 7 miler this morning but woke up still a little sore from last night. Also, still fatigued. So, I told myself I would make today my off day (rather than Friday) and just pick back up with the 7 miler tomorrow and go from there. As long as I get my miles in, it doesn't matter that I took today off rather than Friday, right?

Listen. Yeah, it's gonna hurt some. That's the marathon business.

But here's the thing. When it starts to get intense, that's not time to panic. This is what you wanted to happen. It means that all the training, all the miles, all the wakeups, all the cold, all the wet, all the sleep-deprived days and all the shit you've done to yourself over the last 6 plus months is finally about to pay off. It means you've put yourself where you wanted to be. You've given yourself an opportunity that very few will ever have. You've given yourself a chance.

Now finish it.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Correct - getting in your workouts is way more important than matching up numbers on paper.
        I am good with that as long as you can still get in the rest of the workouts for the week without that rest day. Many programs are just a basic guideline that you need to adjust to fit into your life. Again as long as some of the key workouts for the week are not affected.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

It doesnt matter. Most of us program a day or two or three off during the week and its nice to have those days for this purpose (you just know that work or personal issues will take you away from your runs sometimes). I would also recommend that you observe and try to stick to your trainin plan, but don't get married to it....if you're tired or sore and your plan calls for 7, maybe you should go for less or just take an extra day off.....it might matter to your weekly mileage from one week to the next, but in the long run (over the course of a month or year) it wont matter and if your tired and sore you just need an extra day off, no matter what your training plan might say...... I normally program Mon and Fri as days off and often make up miles on those days...just like you are recommending... Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

Dave

Absolutely, Mark. Listen to your body. If you're sore, shifting a rest day around might be the difference between avoiding injury and having to take a whole week off. Of course, it can't be an excuse for having no training plan at all.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

You do need to listen to your body but remember that some programs are designed to have you run while you are tireed and sore in an effort to have the body adapt to the riggers of running far. Understand the program and why it is set up the way it is. The book Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas works well in explaining why you need to do certain workouts and the benefits of them all. It is an easy read and do not be deceived by the title as it is a good book to reference and read for anyone who runs. Again the body tells you a lot but there is a fine balance between rest and recovery runs.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett