2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

I ran my first half marathon this past weekend. It was the Unite Half Marathon in New Brunswick, NJ. I just missed sub 1:30 with a time of 1:30:41. I was doing great (avg 6.58 pace) up to the 10 mi marker (1:09:40), then I just had a 5K left, which I needed to run sub-20. Unfortunately the hills and my legs did not allow me to get there. Also, I did not figure on the Garmin showing (13.22 mi), so I need to make adjustments on that next time. I will do a nice flat course at the Rock 'n Roll Philly Half Marathon in Sept.

Awesome job!

I wouldn't say that you lost it in the last 5k though. After 10 miles at 6:58 you needed to average ~6:32 to get the <1:30:00 and speeding up by 26 seconds per mile is no small thing at that point in the race. Negative splits are great, but next time just start your pick-up a little earlier and hills or no hills that <1:30 is yours!

B-Plus

Great job flyrunner. It reminds me of my first 1:30Tight lippedx.

I'm going to take a stab at it a bit earlier than planned:

B-Plus - Vancouver Half Marathon, BC 5/5 - sub-1:26

1:29:26 at the Glass City race on Sunday!  I felt great at 6 miles (41:14) so I picked it up a bit, hit 12 miles at 1:21:57 and just held on for the last 1.1.  The course was pretty flat and the weather was great for a race, 52 and cloudy with a bit of rain.

1:29:26 at the Glass City race on Sunday!  I felt great at 6 miles (41:14) so I picked it up a bit, hit 12 miles at 1:21:57 and just held on for the last 1.1.  The course was pretty flat and the weather was great for a race, 52 and cloudy with a bit of rain.

Congrats mnyce! Sounds like you ran a great race and finished strong.

--

Nashville, TN

csab

Mission accomplished: 1:23:28 at the 500 Festival Mini on Saturday. I wrote along race report here: http://naplopo.blogspot.com

Congrats, mnyce and csab!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

C-R

Well done mnyce!

Mission accomplished: 1:23:28 at the 500 Festival Mini on Saturday. I wrote along race report here: http://naplopo.blogspot.com

Excellent. Conditions were perfect. Enjoy that top 500 medal too.

Alas, I ran 1:33:01. Just didn't have it but it was a great race.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ran my first HM last weekend at the KY Derby Festival mini.  Hit my goal of sub 1:35 with a 1:34:38.  Surprised myself a little by averaging 90% of MHR.  Those last two miles were brutal to hold pace.  Now shooting for 1:30 in the fall.  Seems like a stretch, but so did 1:35 just 3 months ago!

Eric

PRs:  5k - (20:42) 3/9/2013 18:55 (9/28/13)

10k - (42:42) 3/23/2013 39:11 (10/26/13) course was short @ 6.0 mi :)

10 mi - (1:12:10) 4/6/2013

HM - (1:34:38) 4/27/2013

I have no takers for a sub 1:45 Half Marathon group - Can I join you all - even though I am aiming for 1:40 or so for my first half at the end of May?

Ready, go.

B-Plus

Congrats mnyce and csab. Sorry you didn't make it C-R, but it sounds like you made the best of it.

Welcome Tara!

I'm going to take a stab at it a bit earlier than planned:

B-Plus - Vancouver Half Marathon, BC 5/5 - sub-1:26

I met my goal by running 1:25:20 on Sunday. I may now pull out of my June half. We'll see.

I'm Quin, I'm kinda spontaneously dropping into a half this Saturday.  This will be my first and it's the middle of the track season so we'll see how it goes but I think I have a decent shot at 1:30.  I'll probably get more into longer races this Summer and actually put int the mileage to support them but this will kind of just be my baseline.

snapa55

Ran a 1:32:47 today on a fairly hilly course.  Not quite the sub 1:32, or 1:30 for that matter, but it was a solid effort.  I'll take the 17min PR.

5K: 18:43 (12/13) 10K: 42:50 (12/12) HM: 1:30:10 (3/14) M: 3:34:46 (5/14)

hwangnyc

Hey folks,

After missing out earlier this year in the NYC half (1:30:19), I reloaded and put more emphasis on my tempo work. Well it paid off as I ran a 1:29:36 today in the Brooklyn Half marathon! Congrants and good luck to everyone else!

Congrats hwangnyc! Way to get it done.

--

Nashville, TN

As expected, didn’t get there on my first race of the year – not even close, really; I ended up with my slowest race time to date. A couple things bit me:

• Undertraining: we moved at the beginning of the year and I started grad school (seminary). I got started on my training months later than I wanted – really only in March.
                                • Bad timing: I picked a race two weeks after the end of the semester. Meaning, when I should have been peaking on my training, I was buried in finals and term papers.
                                • Insufficient anaerobic and strength training: we moved from Oklahoma to North Carolina. Hills make a huge difference. I need more hills, more long tempo runs, and more straight-up strength training (lunges, squats, wall-sits, etc.) – my legs just couldn’t sustain the distance on a hilly course running anaerobically.

I’m going to run another later this year, probably in November, after doing a couple 10ks in September and October. Hopefully I’ll be able to bring my time down a lot.