Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

Came in 9th out of 425. First in age group. (Got a free pair of Brooks Switch). First EVER age group award. So, since I went through three miles in 17:49, I think this would probably qualify as a sub-19, right??
    Wow those miles really helped! Great job!
      O.K., I want to do sub 19 minute 5k now. Plan is to work on more base mileage and try to get up to 65 to 70 mpw in the very near future, and go from there.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

Didn't achieve my goal in my 5k today. In fact, my time is slower than the 1st 5k of my last 8k run 3 weeks ago. I knew running a 5k in the toughest weeks of my Marathon training without any taper will be challenging. But I didn't expect my legs to be so dead. And the almost 20mph gusty wind and the 1.5 mile incline (though not very steep) didn't help. I would alter my plan and add a 5k during my Marathon taper, probably on 4/11. I hope at that time, I would do better.
          I had a very good VO2 max run today. 3 days ago, my legs were dead for my 5k race. Today, they were lively and springy. Can't believe 3 days make such a big difference. This 6x1200 @ 5k pace with 2 min jog break was the toughest workout I had when I prepared for CIM last Dec. I fated signficantly for the last 3 reps last Nov when I did it. Today, I did pretty well. I shot for about 6:20 or so, just to be a little conservative. Paces were: 6:18, 6:18, 6:17, 6:19, 6:22, 6:30 I could have run a lot faster in the last rep. But since I did so poorly last Nov in my last rep, I was taking it easier for half of it waiting for myself to crash. But I didn't. I think I could have done another rep with no problem. All the reps are at least 7 to 10 sec faster than the last time I did it shortly after I set my 5k PR. I also took a shorter break than the last time I did it. So, I am feeling satisfied and am ready to forget my 5k debacle. But I am still running one on 4/11.
            I had a very good VO2 max run today. 3 days ago, my legs were dead for my 5k race. Today, they were lively and springy. Can't believe 3 days make such a big difference. This 6x1200 @ 5k pace with 2 min jog break was the toughest workout I had when I prepared for CIM last Dec. I fated signficantly for the last 3 reps last Nov when I did it. Today, I did pretty well. I shot for about 6:20 or so, just to be a little conservative. Paces were: 6:18, 6:18, 6:17, 6:19, 6:22, 6:30 I could have run a lot faster in the last rep. But since I did so poorly last Nov in my last rep, I was taking it easier for half of it waiting for myself to crash. But I didn't. I think I could have done another rep with no problem. All the reps are at least 7 to 10 sec faster than the last time I did it shortly after I set my 5k PR. I also took a shorter break than the last time I did it. So, I am feeling satisfied and am ready to forget my 5k debacle. But I am still running one on 4/11.
            Sounds like you are getting stronger and stronger and ready to go on 4/11. How does the course look?

yy
                Sounds like you are getting stronger and stronger and ready to go on 4/11. How does the course look?
                Just realize the course of the 4/11 race is changed to an area with some inclines. And the course is probably not certified. I may still run it, if I can't find a better race to run. Sad
                  Hi all. I am gearing up for my first attempt of the season this Saturday (4/4). My best time last season was 19:27. I have worked hard all winter to build what I consider to be quite a nice base including some new milestones in terms of weekly and monthly mileage. I have high hopes that this base work alone will put me under the 19 minute mark. Key workouts for this week: #1 - 4 Mile tempo run, shooting for 6:25 - 6:30 pace #2 - 8-10 X 400m, 200m jog recoveries, interval target time is app 85 seconds or a little faster.. First speed of the season so I would like to run at least 8, hopefully more if I feel good #3 - 5K race I am also going to take a run along the race course on Wednesday. I think it is going to be mostly flat so it should be a good course for times.

Ryan

RuninBlack, nice run today. You got it! Good luck this weekend.

Just realize the course of the 4/11 race is changed to an area with some inclines. And the course is probably not certified. I may still run it, if I can't find a better race to run. Sad
                      I assume that you are talking about "Running for the Bull". I emailed the director and this was her response: "No it has not been certified, but I did wheel measure it and a person running the course with a GPS watch last fall measured it at 3.11. We will likely get it certified next year, but the quick time to get it going for spring did not allow us a lot of time." If you want to drive a ways there is the Resurrection Run in Sacramento on the same day. I ran it last year and it is definitely suitable for PR attempt:. "This USATF Sanctioned and Certified Course is flat, fast and winds through the beautiful River Park neighborhood. " It's the same course used for the Susan B Anthony women's race. http://www.kfitness.org/
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        Hi all. I am gearing up for my first attempt of the season this Saturday (4/4). My best time last season was 19:27. I have worked hard all winter to build what I consider to be quite a nice base including some new milestones in terms of weekly and monthly mileage. I have high hopes that this base work alone will put me under the 19 minute mark. Key workouts for this week: #1 - 4 Mile tempo run, shooting for 6:25 - 6:30 pace #2 - 8-10 X 400m, 200m jog recoveries, interval target time is app 85 seconds or a little faster.. First speed of the season so I would like to run at least 8, hopefully more if I feel good #3 - 5K race I am also going to take a run along the race course on Wednesday. I think it is going to be mostly flat so it should be a good course for times.
                        Not that it looks like you need to be pumped up, but I don't see how you can miss. You ran 11:36 for 2 miles at the end of November, which is already equivalent to sub-19 for 5k, and you have stepped up your training since then. However, I'm not so sure it's necessary to do the 400's workout as you described it so close to the race. 5 or 6 reps would be plenty and I see not point at all in hammering them. You only need to average 6:06 per mile to break 19.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                          I assume that you are talking about "Running for the Bull". I emailed the director and this was her response: "No it has not been certified, but I did wheel measure it and a person running the course with a GPS watch last fall measured it at 3.11. We will likely get it certified next year, but the quick time to get it going for spring did not allow us a lot of time." If you want to drive a ways there is the Resurrection Run in Sacramento on the same day. I ran it last year and it is definitely suitable for PR attempt:. "This USATF Sanctioned and Certified Course is flat, fast and winds through the beautiful River Park neighborhood. " It's the same course used for the Susan B Anthony women's race. http://www.kfitness.org/
                          Hi Jim, will be tough for me to drive to Sacto town, so I will settle for the bulls. When I asked the same question, I was told it was gps measured. Wheel measured may be ok, I guess. I hope it is not too much incline. I ran the Juana run nearby and there is steady incline (though not steep at all) for the 1st 2 miles and also the last mile or so. That made it a little tougher.
                            Not that it looks like you need to be pumped up, but I don't see how you can miss. You ran 11:36 for 2 miles at the end of November, which is already equivalent to sub-19 for 5k, and you have stepped up your training since then. However, I'm not so sure it's necessary to do the 400's workout as you described it so close to the race. 5 or 6 reps would be plenty and I see not point at all in hammering them. You only need to average 6:06 per mile to break 19.
                            Thanks for the feedback. You make a good point, and I will probably hold back on this workout today a bit. After all, it is only my first speed workout of the year. I am going to run the race course tonight. Afterwards, I will contemplate the 400 workout, and possibly just switch in for some strides instead.

Ryan

Nice job. You killed it.

Thanks much. I am still reveling in the accomplishment and doing alot of back patting. Big grin It felt great to bust through this goal (actually my goal for last year). I am very happy with this effort and I am very excited about getting to training. I put down some thoughts about the race this morning in my log entry.

Ryan