Ran My First Half... Now What? (Read 165 times)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Hi!  I've been lurking here for a while and I could use a little advice on what to do now that I've finished my first half.

Background on me:  I'm a new runner, 35 years old, never ran as a kid.  I started last November with a couch to 5K six months after having a baby, and I built up slowly, culminating in training for my first half which was at the end of September.  I used the Another Mother Runner Half Marathon Finish It plan, and I complied with it reasonably well (missed one long run due to the trail being on fire, missed another due to an injury), maxing at about 29 miles in the peak week.  I was dealing with a long-term piriformis injury, but PT and new shoes have me recovering okay.

First half I finished in 2:00:07.  I went out a bit too fast, and paid for it later, but I ran the whole thing and finished strong, for me.

I'm very fit and lean, but not a naturally gifted runner at all.  I would like to get faster.

I want to try the Hanson's beginner plan for my next half, which is in May.  It will be my first time doing speedwork of any kind, and the mileage increase is significant for a newbie like me.

What I'm wondering is what I should do in the meantime before the plan starts.  Right now I'm running about 20-25 miles a week, and hoping to nudge that over 25 consistently.  I run four or five days a week. Should I keep a longer run?   Run more often and try to get to five or six days a week consistently?  Focus more on core and cross-training?

I think most of what I need is time on my feet, but I'm unsure how to go about it best.  Thoughts?

First off the Hanson Beginner plan for HM is really a good running plan and you'll do well if you follow it...

As far as what to do between now and when the actual training starts,

-Keep Runing

-Run one longer'ish run 8 to 12 if you can.

-One day a week so something a little quicker than your normal pace....like if you normally train at a 9 minute pace, run a little one day at faster then your 9 minute pace.like 8 reps of 400 meters at an 8 minute pace...or some up tempo running on your middle of the week run...

Mostly keep running and work up the miles slowly...

You had a really good time for a first HM.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Latent Runner

Yup, more miles, even if they're slower than what you've been doing will definitely yield faster Half Marathon times.

FWIW, my 56 year old wife was putting in between three and four weekday 6-Mile runs and then one or two 10+ mile runs on the weekends (without so much as a single speed drill, interval or even a tempo run), and she just ran her first Half Marathon in 1:49.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
        emmbee

queen of headlamps

Wow, Mrs. Shipo, that's great!  Very inspiring, too!

Thanks for the advice, P & shipo.  I'm very new to all of this and especially to racing, and it's funny to me how much I want to be faster, when ten months ago I never would have thought I could run a 9 minute mile, let alone thirteen of them.

robin from maine

I promise that if you keep running you will get faster. And given how new you are, that is a very good time indeed for your first 13.1.

I agree with the advice given: steady miles, possibly gradually increasing miles per week, a longer run every 7-10 days. This will be a little easier if you don't live in a place with long cold snowy winters, but even if you do, it is possible -- just keep adding layers.

and yes, the Shipo family is very impressive; that is a phenomenal first half for Mrs. S.

I ran my first half marathon off a base of 20 miles per week, with a peak week of 27 miles.  I was sore for a week after.

I ran my second half marathon off a base of 30 MPW, and was sore for one day.  The second half marathon was several minutes faster, also.

Miles per week is more important than long runs and speed work at this point.

Also, running in the winter is very practical.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

So here's a question then -- given that my base was around 20, with a peak of 29, would the Hansons' beginner (not their finish it  plan for complete newbies) be too aggressive as it builds to 48 miles per week?  Might I be better off just trying to get to a base of thirty miles per week and ignore speedwork (except for strides here and there?)

Sorry to have so many questions!  I just finished the Hansons' half book and I'm really curious to see what I can do.

Winter here in northern Utah gets a decent amount of snow, but I'll run outside as long as the weather's clear.  I can deal with cold but I'm far too clumsy for ice!   What really kills me is the lack of daylight.  Between a full-time job and a toddler I really need it to be light at 6am all year long.

But I bought a headlamp....

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Ran My First Half... Now What?

Work on running the second half of the race.

Congrats.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Might I be better off just trying to get to a base of thirty miles per week and ignore speedwork (except for strides here and there?)

Probably -  But you need to mix it up a little.   When I mentioned to do some uptempo type of running and put down something like 8x400 meters, I was 'thinking' in terms of generalities and 'typing' specifics (and I said if you run 9's then do them in 8's or so), I probably misspoke a bit with that suggestion - what I really meant to say was to pick it up a little every now and then.  ..

Re-Read the definition of the faster runs (speed, strength and tempo)  in your Hanson book and follow them but with a little less intensity..  the idea here is just to wake things up a little - stress yourself a little but not too much.

I sent an email to Luke Humphrey (the books author) and asked him the same basic question and he replied to just keep building mileage and push the intensity a little every now and then...until the first week of the actual training.

Champions are made when no one is watching

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Thanks so much!  (Although your user name makes me want to warn you off marathons! )  I think I'm going to try for the rest of this month to get over 25 miles a week consistently, then try for 30 in November, and 35 in December, which should get me ready to start in January with the program.

It's okay for easy runs to be slow, right?  I really struggle with pacing, but if my half marathon pace was 9:10, then it's okay if some of my easy runs are 10 min/mil or so, right?  I find that my pace really varies day to day, so what feels easy can be anything from 9:15-10:30, depending on the time of day, how much the baby let me sleep, etc.

Latent Runner

Worry about distance first, pace comes later.  FWIW, I train at about a 10:00-11:00 pace and yet I ran my recent half marathon, my first if that matters, at a 7:49 pace.

Fat old man PRs:

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Thanks, that's really helpful!  I've been wondering if my easy pace needs to come down, and a little worried, because lately I've had to run in the dark before work, and I'm really jittery about pushing the pace in the dark.  I'm enough of a klutz in the daylight.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nothing wrong with slow runs with a headlamp. Most of my runs are in the dark.  Choose safe terrain, though.

Latent Runner

Nothing wrong with slow runs with a headlamp. Most of my runs are in the dark.  Choose safe terrain, though.

Agreed; my technical summer trail doesn't see much of my presence during the dark winter months; I switch to a relatively smooth rail-trail.

Regarding headlamps; last year I started out with a 35 lumen lamp and it just wasn't cutting it, I upgraded to a lamp rated at 85 lumens and it was much better but I still missed some contours of the trail.  This year I have a new USB rechargeable 125 lumen lamp and it really makes night trail running more comfortable.

Fat old man PRs:

this time of year I'm also doing my "workouts" in the dark with a headlamp. Gots to do what ya gots to do....