running sub 1:45 HM - any advice? (Read 671 times)

she runs like a girl

Hello everyone Next month I'm going to be running my second HM in Ottawa, Ontario I have been doing quite a bit of training and I am hopng to run sub 1:45 in the HM. This past friday I ran a 10miler in 1:22 but I still need to pick it up a bit if I am hoping to reach my goal. Any suggestions to improve my training?
    2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"

A Saucy Wench

run more. lots more. a month is a short period of time to make a big change, you are talking taking 15 seconds off per mile for a longer race. Ramp your miles up, get some long runs in there (your longest run to date is the 10 mile race?) and in a couple months you should break 1:45 easily.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave

Easy should be easier to help you get to more miles. Your easy runs are close to tempo pace. Slow down on your 3-5 milers and turn them into 5-8 milers.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

C-R

I'm with Ennay on this one. A month is not very long to get that extra 15 sec per mile. You need more base miles. The speed is there but not the base. You should ease into consistent mid to high 30s and when that gets easy bump it up. With your times you should be looking more in the 1:35 range if you put in the base. Good luck.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

she runs like a girl

I know I need to put more miles on Blush but I think I am just addicted to going faster I am thankful for all of your advice because I have only been running for 2 years now and I am still young (19yrs) I did run a HM last september in 1:55 but I do a lot more training now than I did then. If I am going to put in some longer runs, how much should I slow down my pace if I normally train at around a sub 8min. mile?
            2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"
              Hi Kimmie, I am also from Ontario, (Newmarket area), and have recently broken the 1:45 barrier, so run about your pace. I am 58 years old and had been running for 2 years before I managed this, but will be going for 1:40 this fall. What I notice is your 5k time is fast compared with mine, but your 10 miler a little slower. The conclusion would be that you need to work on finishing strongly: you have plenty of speed but maybe not good enough endurance. The other possibility is that you did not pace yourself optimally for the 10 miler. Experience with long runs will give you a better sense of how much to save for the end, but I like to run the final 5k as my quickest 5k split. To do this I do several long runs in the 25-30km range, and also do some shorter runs with a fast finish. I would be interested to know what race you are going to try for the 1:45? Good luck! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

From what I understand, your easy pace is going to want to be 1:30-2:00 minutes slower than HM pace. At least that's my usual easy pace compared to the HM pace, and my speed has boosted just by logging lots of quality miles at an easy pace. Slow down, enjoy the run, reap the benefits.
                  Sorry, I see its Ottawa- didn't read it closely enough. I do my easy runs around 9:00 per mile, about 5:35 per km.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

JimR

You don't have any real long runs in your log. That 10 mile race is the furthest you've gone and everything else is like 7 miles or less. You're expectations are too high.

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I know I need to put more miles on Blush but I think I am just addicted to going faster I am thankful for all of your advice because I have only been running for 2 years now and I am still young (19yrs)
                      Sounds pretty much like me back in the day. I hated long runs and only liked the fast workouts. Of course I only ran 400 and 800m races, so I didn't see the point in long runs. Seems like you are running 5-6 days per week and just below 30 mpw, here is what I would do. First, increase one of your runs each week to be a "long run". Start in the 8-9 mile range and work up to 11-13. For me these 11-13 milers are a breeze, after the first 2 or so miles I just fall into a groove and before I know it I'm done. Someplace in the 9:00-9:30 range I believe would be an easy pace for you. Second, slow down most of your midweek runs a little and as suggested increase a couple of them to the 6-8 range. Third, go ahead and keep 1-2 days for harder workouts. Warm-up a mile, 2-3 at tempo, cool down a mile. Or include the tempo in one of your 6-8 mile days Ironically this is almost identical to the stage I am in now. I am training for a marathon in Oct. In summary, my weeks have looked like this: Monday - 7 with tempo Tuesday - 5 easy Wednesday - 7 easy Thursday - 5 easy Friday - off Saturday - 12 long Sunday - 4 easy/recovery Total - 40 miles

A Saucy Wench

I know I need to put more miles on Blush but I think I am just addicted to going faster
                        But if you put on more miles, you WILL go faster Much faster than if you keep pushing too hard at the low miles. Think of base mileage as a gear. If you have limited miles it is like having only one gear. You can go as hard as possible but eventually that gear just runs out. Add more base mileage, add another gear. Go faster with less effort.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Seems like you are running 5-6 days per week and just below 30 mpw, here is what I would do. First, increase one of your runs each week to be a "long run". Start in the 8-9 mile range and work up to 11-13. For me these 11-13 milers are a breeze, after the first 2 or so miles I just fall into a groove and before I know it I'm done. Someplace in the 9:00-9:30 range I believe would be an easy pace for you. Second, slow down most of your midweek runs a little and as suggested increase a couple of them to the 6-8 range. Third, go ahead and keep 1-2 days for harder workouts. Warm-up a mile, 2-3 at tempo, cool down a mile. Or include the tempo in one of your 6-8 mile days Ironically this is almost identical to the stage I am in now. I am training for a marathon in Oct. In summary, my weeks have looked like this: Monday - 7 with tempo Tuesday - 5 easy Wednesday - 7 easy Thursday - 5 easy Friday - off Saturday - 12 long Sunday - 4 easy/recovery Total - 40 miles
                          Kimmie - I personally think the above is some seriously good advice. The only thing I would add is to make sure and add/increase your mileage slowly. Or in other words, don't start the 40 MPW schedule today, start working up to this schedule over the course of quite a few weeks..........If you go straight to this schedule too quickly, you risk injury (and you don't want to get injured)..... I got similar advice from some when I asked a similar question and they said to go: Mon - 3 Easy Tue - 5 Easy Wed - 8 - some easy and including Tempo (about three miles) Thrus - 3 easy Fri - 4 easy Sat - 5 easy Sun - 12 - easy the first 10 and tempo for the last two miles.. My point on showing the second schedule is simply to say that my advice came from someone else and yet the schedule (although different) are still very similar -- so there must be something to it.... You need the longer runs to increase you endurance - and ultimately allow you to hang on to your pace for greater distances..... One other thing -- I wish I was as young as you and as good of a runner as you already are ---- you have a long and great running future ahead of you....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hello everyone Next month I'm going to be running my second HM in Ottawa, Ontario I have been doing quite a bit of training and I am hopng to run sub 1:45 in the HM. This past friday I ran a 10miler in 1:22 but I still need to pick it up a bit if I am hoping to reach my goal. Any suggestions to improve my training?
                            One advice I can give you is that judging by previous years that HM in Ottawa is a zoo. Do not line up behind your expected finish time. There are always a record number of participants and a lot of slow runners clog the start of the race for miles. I was injured two years ago and ran the HM instead of loosing my entire entrance fee. I was weaving around runners form the start to the finish. My fault was I rushed to the start line and started way too far behind for my speed despiting running with an injured leg. The race is also on May 24 which is just six weeks away. A lot can happen in six weeks but I think you should concentrate on one area and in my opinion that should be your endurance. I doubt speed work will do much for you now considering a 13 mile race. Just buckle down and increase your long run ever so slightly for the next four weeks and then do a taper. I think doing the 10% rule should be fine as you seem young and healthy.
                            C-R

From what I understand, your easy pace is going to want to be 1:30-2:00 minutes slower than HM pace. At least that's my usual easy pace compared to the HM pace, and my speed has boosted just by logging lots of quality miles at an easy pace. Slow down, enjoy the run, reap the benefits.
                              Ryan is on the spot and in case you can't seem to dial back the speed with a pace try these two tests: 1) if running with someone you should be able to hold a conversation with that person without labored breathing 2) if running alone you should be able to sing some of your favorite tunes with the same results as #1. Nice low tech way of keeping an easy pace. Also, Jim said it well - your longest run has only been the 10 miler. You should be able/need to go much longer. Personally, for me I learned that I was not ready to run a good HM unless I am in marathon training with long runs in the 18 - 20 range but that's just me. Work on getting longer at an easy pace and your races with still be fast. Its about patiently building base - most of us have learned this the hard way through mountains of injury. Good luck. With your built in speed you should achieve some great race results with the proper base.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

SMART Approach

Kimmi, A lot of great advice above. The schedule above that John A posted (not sure if I recommended that to him) is the way to go. Right now you won't be hitting those miles but the two bigger work outs with quality are the key to great times. In that mid week longer run work on 3-4 X 1 mile at your goal pace until race day. Maybe 7 days before race (after a warm up) try 3-4 miles straight at your goal pace if you feel stretched at anytime, slow down. You are probably not far off but I am not so sure you have aerobic running foundation to hold that pace for that long. You need to slowly build and if you don't hit your goal this time - maybe next. You will continue to improve.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com