12 year old wants to run with me (Read 1075 times)

PS - If you decide to get him an MP3 - I highly recomend the Ipod Shuffle MINI. !
    Thanks! We weren't expecting to get to the 3 mile point until next week, but he said he was ready. I have an Ipod Shuffle, and I love it. My 11 y/o daughter has an Ipod Nano, so of course Charlie wants something like that. He uses my Shuffle when we run. I'm hoping that he sees how great it is to be able to clip it on rather than hold or get a holder for the bigger Ipods. We'll see.

Michelle

Charlie ran his first (and perhaps last) 5k this past Sunday. He did great! It was an odd course. I should have checked it out before signing up for it. The first 1/4 mile was through a quarry, very cool, but on gravel. The rest was through the woods and up hills, including a killer hill at the end, followed by steep decline to the finish line. Charlie won first in his age group with a time of 30:15. He was proud of himself but hasn't really talked about since. He complained about the blisters that he got, but that was it. Time will tell. I told him that it's his call as to what he wants to do. I'm thinking he's not going to stick with it. Maybe when he gets older he'll try again. Maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn...my first 5k was on an easy course and my time was still over a minute slower! Good work!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Damn...my first 5k was on an easy course and my time was still over a minute slower! Good work!
          I wish he were more into it. Despite feeling like he was going to throw up, and ignoring the blisters until the race was over, he kept on going. I think he has it in him to be a good runner. He did this race with very little training. He won't run by himself and it doesn't always work out that he can run with me.

Michelle

It's spreading!! Yesterday my 15 y/o and my 12 y/o headed out the door together to run! It was a Kodak moment. They wanted to run a mile, and they did. Anthony did a 7:11 mile, and Charlie did a 8:13 mile. I'm so happy. They even talked about increasing with each run. Not sure why my 15 y/o decided to run, but I like it. It might have to do with getting ready for soccer for the fall. I did take a few pictures but the boys didn't cooperate. I'll post a picture later when I'm at home.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's spreading!! Yesterday my 15 y/o and my 12 y/o headed out the door together to run! It was a Kodak moment. They wanted to run a mile, and they did. Anthony did a 7:11 mile, and Charlie did a 8:13 mile. I'm so happy. They even talked about increasing with each run.
              Freaky fast kids.... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Freaky fast kids.... Big grin k
                They wanted me to run with them but I didn't want to do a speed workout yesterday. Anthony stopped and walked for about 15 seconds during his run, I wonder what his final time would have been if he hadn't. Charlie was happy because his face wasn't beet red, and he wasn't having trouble breathing!

Michelle

It's spreading!! Yesterday my 15 y/o and my 12 y/o headed out the door together to run! It was a Kodak moment. I'll post a picture later when I'm at home.
                  You've gotta love it!! See what a good influence you are!? Please post a pic if you have time!
                    You've gotta love it!! See what a good influence you are!? Please post a pic if you have time!
                    I do love it, but what made me the happiest was how my 12 y/o came to me right when I walked in the door from work and asked if WE were running. After his 5k race this past Sunday I told him I wasn't going to bug him about running, if he wants to continue, he'll come to me. And he did. It made my heart smile ! I'll post the picture but it's silly. I grabbed the camera and ran out while they were doing a warm up jog up and down our street. They decided to be funny once they saw my camera, my 15 y/o totally turned around while running and the 12 y/o ducked his head down. Then my husband came to their rescue and took my camera away. He's no fun.

Michelle

Then my husband came to their rescue and took my camera away. He's no fun.
                      Every party needs a pooper!! Smile I'm constantly clicking away too, usually to the roll of my whole family's eyes!...but when we're looking at the pics months or even years later, they're all really interested and grateful that we've got them! Not to mention that shots like that are the most interesting, as opposed to everyone posed and smiling!
                        (Charlie is my hippie looking son (wearing black), Anthony is the buzz cut boy - thinking of joining the Marines in a couple of years)
                        I'll post the pictures but it's silly. I grabbed the camera and ran out while they were doing a warm up jog up and down our street. They decided to be funny once they saw my camera, my 15 y/o totally turned around while running and the 12 y/o ducked his head down. Then my husband came to their rescue and took my camera away. He's no fun.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Silly boys--I'm so glad they are having fun with running! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Cute pics! They'll really like them when they're older too I'll bet! Smile
                              Every now and then they will let me take pictures of them...but even still, my 12 y/o won't smile in a picture (it's a skate rat thing, so he says).

Michelle

Okay, here we go again. He's now 13. And he's now on the 8th grade Cross Country team. I'm curious to see how he does this time. Smile

Michelle