Some getting to know you questions because I'm shamefully nosey! (Read 1403 times)

jeffdonahue

How old were you when you started running? I was 30 What was your prior experience? None except running when I played soccer What made you get into it? I was starting to get a bit of a gut and didnt like that What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Nothing - ran my first 5K cold and it hurt like hell. I then decided to do some triathlons and used a training program from www.trinewbies.com website How long has it been since you started? 7 years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? I am now running between 40-50 miles per week. I would like to keep it up there somewhere closer to 50 but life gets in the way
      How old were you when you started running? 48 What was your prior experience? None What made you get into it? The New England Journal of Medicine published a paper that said it reduced my risk of cancer returning by 50%. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Sort of used C25k. How long has it been since you started? 3 years. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? ~30/120 miles

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

How old were you when you started running? 26 What was your prior experience? Nothing, other than biking. Mainly just eating. Big grin What made you get into it? Team in Training would train me to run a marathon...and what sold me on it was that the race was in Alaska, my favorite place in the world. Sure, I'd run 26.2 miles just to go back there! Little did I know that three marathons later, I'm hooked. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Team in Training plan, then a combo of the Jeff Galloway beginner/intermediate plan, now a plan scheduled by our World Vision Team coach. Is it weird that my first race ever in my life was a half marathon? I didn't do my first 5K until a year later Smile How long has it been since you started? 1.5 years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? Weekly goal - right now I'm shooting for 30 - in the middle of moving halfway across the state so it's been interesting getting my weekday runs in. Still doing my long runs with my team though!
        "If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want - Why? Because (a) you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and (c) you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway." ~ Don Kardong
          How old were you when you started running? 17 What was your prior experience? None What made you get into it? I had to get a good score on my 2 mile run as I was applying for a ROTC scholarship What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? None, I ran 3.5 miles every day and tried to beat every days time...not the smartest thing to do but it worked for a while. How long has it been since you started? I'm 20 so I guess 3 years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? I want to get up to a consistent 30 miles a week

TRIing to beat the heat!

I'm a sucker for surveys, so here goes... How old were you when you started running? First time around: 19 (for Air Force basic training); second time around: 31 What was your prior experience? None. I was a competitive swimmer, but never took part in any sort of structured running programs like XC, etc... What made you get into it? I wanted to run in a 5K benefit for in memory of my late mother-in-law. I stuck with it because triathlons started to appeal to me. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? I used C25K when I first started out. Worked like a charm! How long has it been since you started? I began C25K in mid-December 2007, so it's been a full 7 months since I started. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? I'm doing 20 miles per week right now. Wish I could run more, but I have to also find time to bike and swim.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

colinw

How old were you when you started running? 32 What was your prior experience? None other than basic running for soccer, basketball, rugby and tennis. Nothing long distance. I also tried running a few times for weight loss with horrid results as I ran in the wrong shoes, didn't ease in, went too hard and ended up miserable and hating running. What made you get into it? Help with weight loss, and accomplish some goals of finishing race distances. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? C25K - it worked wonders, and now I am training for a Half marathon using Higdons novice program. How long has it been since you started? Almost 5 months - started on March 7, 2008 What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? About 20 miles/32k per week right now which is slowly getting higher as I work through my training. I hope to move up to around 40k/week and settle there

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

redleaf

How old were you when you started running? - uhm. 35, I just started What was your prior experience? High school gym class What made you get into it? I can't play hockey right now and I wanted something fun and "easy" to do. My long term goal is to complete a triathlon. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? I bought a "learn to run" book - yes, I am a geek. The Beginning Runner's Handbook: The Proven 13-Week Walk/Run Program (Paperback) by SportMedBC (Author), Ian MacNeill (Author) How long has it been since you started? I am almost finished week 3 of a 13 week schedule. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? I don't really have one - I've gone almost 80 km so far. Big grin

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

How old were you when you started running? 40 What was your prior experience? No real running experience, like to ski and hike etc though. What made you get into it? I had lost 40 lbs and wanted to lose 10 more. Plus not revert back to my old ways. I started incorporating some exercise, first with the eliptical and then walking on the treadmill. That got boring, so I decided to try the C25K program. Ran my first race unofficially in October 2006. My goal was just to finish the entire 5K without walking. It was tough, but I did it. I spent the next year being very inconsistent with running on the regular basis. Ended up in January finding Runningahead and decided my new years resolution was to at least double my miles for the next year. (2007 was only 169.7 miles) Then I found the 1000K pace group and I figured I could do at least 12 miles a week. That's helping my consistency a lot and I'm trying to build on that. Next year maybe I'll try for 1000 miles. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? C25K How long has it been since you started? Almost 2 years. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? 12 mpw minimum. Trying to build to 20 mpw now.
                  Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                    How old were you when you started running? 33 What was your prior experience? played competitive soccer about 10-12 yrs ago and lot of backpacking. What made you get into it? too much money spent on golf. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Advanced Training program for Grandmas Marathon by Dick Beardsley. How long has it been since you started? 1.5 yrs What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? currently 120/480.
                    And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

How old were you when you started running? 44 What was your prior experience? Stating, "I WILL NEVER RUN." What made you get into it? My friend Robin said it would be a good way to lose weight. I said, "I'm not a runner!" She said, "I'll pick you up at 1:00 tomorrow. You don't have to run far - just from one telephone pole to the next, and then walk to the following one." What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? After a few months of not getting too far, I started C25K with a friend, and that did the trick. How long has it been since you started? 1.5 years. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? I was at 30-35/140, but then I got achilles tendonitis at the beginning of June and I'm slowly working my way back. Too slowly.

IMKY13 finish!!

How old were you when you started running? 43 years old What was your prior experience? ran one season of cross country in Jr High...hated it What made you get into it? Lose weight and general fitness What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? A training program from a local running store How long has it been since you started? 2 years and 1 week What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? weekly=25-28; monthly=110-120

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

How old were you when you started running? 27 years old What was your prior experience? Trying to set a record for the SLOWEST mile ever in High School. "Ran" a 25 minuter and got detention. What made you get into it? I teach marching band and a world-class indoor drumline in my spare time, and riding a desk/living on takeout led to so much weight gain, I couldn't even keep up with the fat kids. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? My sister sent me the C25K link. LongRunNick shook me out of my misery, slowed me down, and got me hooked. How long has it been since you started? 11 months. My one year anniversary is in a couple of weeks. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? By the end of 2008, I want to consistently post weeks with over 25 miles of mileage. For 2009, I'd love to inch up to 35 mpw. Beyond that, the sky is the limit.

Chris
                          PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Misinformation Officer

Started running? 32 Prior experience? Mandatory run of 1.5 miles in hs each year to get out of PE requirement What made you get into it? Walking was taking too long What training or program did you use to get back into it? "Run, run mailbox, Mama!" (my own version of C25K) How long has it been since you started? 5+ years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? 20-25 mpw, except when I didn't Wink (edited to add bold, since it's so much easier to read replies like that)
                            AroundTheHorn

I'm sure this has been done before, so I apologize if you've answered these questions a million times before! How old were you when you started running? 8 and 25 What was your prior experience? Ran for my middle school What made you get into it? To get in the best shape as possible What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Just do it How long has it been since you started? 3 years What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? I run about 40 miles a week now. I don't think I want to jump over 50 but we will see.
                              Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
                                How old were you when you started running? 2 i think. I'm not sure. But my parents kept telling me to stop. I picked it up again in my thirties. What was your prior experience? Walking What made you get into it? Body fat and 15 years of smoking. What training or program did you use, if any, to get back into it? Just did my on thing. How long has it been since you started? Not sure exactly. Been running for years but only training and tracking progress the past 2 or 3. What's your weekly/monthly mileage goal? At about 20 MPW right now. Would like to get to 40. running first HM in October.