Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

Anyone get to the 100 mile mark yet?

Regarding the park run... Perhaps we should hold a virtual 5k run where we all find a track or measured course and run a race effort 5k at the end of each month. It would be interesting to see where some of us are at and whose training is working the best. It seems I have to run a race effort every couple weeks. Running slow all the time really is boring.

That's kind of a cool idea actually provided it can be worked in with your regular training plan

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

I'm in.  Also trying to run every day this year.

2012 Goals

Run 366 days

2000 miles

M 3:20

That's kind of a cool idea actually provided it can be worked in with your regular training plan

5k is short enough that running one at full effort isn't that disruptive for your other running. I do my local parkrun at full effort pretty often.

20:08 this morning... getting closer!

Nice run PR - no chance of overheating this morning!  I did St Albans parkrun and it was proper nippy!!

Nice run PR - no chance of overheating this morning!  I did St Albans parkrun and it was proper nippy!!

Yeah - this afternoon I wimped out and ran on the treadmill at the gym Smile

20:08 this morning... getting closer!

I see you are at 94 miles for the year. That is a boatload of miles for this time of the year at least up north.

I hit 50 miles for the year today (26 for the week). This is the most weekly miles I have run since September of 2009.

So I have been pretty weak the last couple years but hope this is the year I can keep the miles coming.

Nice run today for you! but just to be fair, Did you have the treadmill set at 1% grade?

I have run 19:06 on the treadmill at 0 percent grade before I ran a sub 20 outdoors.

Another point I want to make is I see your training is run often at 10 and 11 minute per mile pace.

Just so some of the newer runners are clear on the point you do not have to run fast very often to be able to break sub 20.

I often go 10 minute per mile pace on the treadmill. I would estimate 85% of my miles are slower than 9 minute per mile pace.

I see you are at 94 miles for the year. That is a boatload of miles for this time of the year at least up north.

I hit 50 miles for the year today (26 for the week). This is the most weekly miles I have run since September of 2009.

So I have been pretty weak the last couple years but hope this is the year I can keep the miles coming.

Nice run today for you! but just to be fair, Did you have the treadmill set at 1% grade?

I have run 19:06 on the treadmill at 0 percent grade before I ran a sub 20 outdoors.

Another point I want to make is I see your training is run often at 10 and 11 minute per mile pace.

Just so some of the newer runners are clear on the point you do not have to run fast very often to be able to break sub 20.

I often go 10 minute per mile pace on the treadmill. I would estimate 85% of my miles are slower than 9 minute per mile pace.

I'm a bit cautious about too much hard running at the moment because I have a foot injury that is (slowly) recovering. I think you're right that you can improve with predominantly easy running - but you have to do a fair bit of it. There's always some kind of trade-off between pace and volume.

I usually set the treadmill flat, although very occasionally I do a bit of a hill workout on the treadmill. Often times I go to the gym with my wife and we'll chat on adjacent treadmills - so I'm often not really thinking much about the running - I just adjust the speed according to whatever feels easy at the time.

The other thing (of course) is weight. I allowed myself to gain a few pounds on the last few months of last year (partly because of the injury) and that's coming off again now - which certainly helps with the speed.

Anyone get to the 100 mile mark yet?

I'll hit it in about 2hrs. Smile  It's not high-mileage, but I'll take it!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'll hit it in about 2hrs. Smile  It's not high-mileage, but I'll take it!

Would've been there yesterday if not for a stomach bug that sidelined me for 3 days.

Oh well, Wednesday it is.

Just signed up for the Nashville Zoo Run Run 5k this coming up Saturday (Jan 21, 2012). That will be my sub-20 attempt.

Kind of a weird course (not all paved, some sharp turns), but I AM GOING FOR IT!

(Also, Troy, I think that my training log is now public if you want to make my name a link in the list. Thanks for maintaining this thread!)

--

Nashville, TN

My training is marathon-specific, not 5K-specific, but I hit 150 miles for the year so far today--and I feel awesome.

Need to find a 5K to sign up for to try again soon...I have the itch.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

dontpunchit

put me in-

21:25 last fall off about 12-15 miles per week

recently switched to mostly training on trails.

i'm hoping that along with a bump in mileage will help get me close.

I think it will be very interesting to chart how many miles we have run by the end of each month and what the corresponding times are for 5k race efforts.

Kudos to rgilbert at 150+ miles for the year already. I am at 63 miles after today and hoping for a sub 22 effort on my next race effort. I don't know when I will take a crack at an official road race but would like to aim for mid March.

Did my first set of intervals today (as part of my marathon plan).

5x800 @ 3:24, 3:26, 3:19, 3:19, 3:16 w/400 recovery - last couple were hard but not anywhere near the edge

I'd guess I could have done 2 or 3 more at that pace and recovery if I had to.

Any thoughts where that puts me in the sub-20 hunt?

I really have no experience, racing or other, to know where I am at.