Do you cross train? (Read 920 times)

The Running Mom

I'm still a newbie -- just finished the c25k program and ran my first 5K. I plan on continuing with running 3-4 times per week. I was thinking of adding in some other exercise on my off days. Do you cross train? What do you do? I've heard that cycling is good, as well as swimming, but I've no idea where to start with either.
    Monica My Blog
    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, if you want to play it really safe, substitute one of them for running on a running day, and see how you feel for the next two days -- and if you liked doing the substitution. You can always work up to substituting one of them for a rest day, or even doubling up (run + something else) later on...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My cross training is mostly yoga because it's not seasonally restrictive like biking is where I live and because it's very complimentary to running. I run 3 to 4 days a week and do yoga anywhere from once to four times a week; lately I've starting doing yoga everyday and just doing a shorter session on run days. You'll have to figure out what works for you. You may find some stiffness if you aren't used to working out everyday, but that will go away usually as your body gets used to it. As the weather gets better, I will start biking some. As far as where to start, you just do it. On an off day, do some cross training and see how you feel the next day when you go for a run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Prince of Fatness

I do yoga, too. I do an hour twice a week and an abbreviated (~ 10 minutes) session after each run. The abbreviated sessions really just serve as an alternative to stretching after running. Now that I am running about 7 hours a week that's really all of the time I have to cross train.

Not at it at all. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

I do taekwondo. Usually twice a week. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

I don't cross train. I used to lift two or three days per week but now with my MPW slowly going up, I don't seem to have time for running and cross training too. Also, I just haven't found another type of exercise that I enjoy as much as running, so when I have to exercise, I just run...

Champions are made when no one is watching

I like to mix in other types of exercise and usually do it on "rest" days or days with shorter runs. My cross training consists mostly of indoor rock climbing, cycling or weight lifting.

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

redleaf

Yoga once a week - helps for the deep stretches... Going to add swimming once a week too. Does hockey count as cross training? hmmmm

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Slo

Run 45 - 50 mpw Swim 3 miles/week Bike....Season just underway....will shoot for 100 mpw, currently not getting much more than 30mpw (not including my commute to work) I'm always worried that dropping my run miles to squeeze in some more biking will have an adverse impact on my running but I always experience the opposite. The bike compliments the run very nicely. Swimming is just a hands down excellent exercise. No impact and you can work so many different muscle groups as well as your cardio engine. I highly recommend it. Congrats on your C25K and your race ! Wishing you a lifetime of running !

The Running Mom

Thanks for all the replies. I joined a gym, and I thought I would "check out" a spinning class yesterday (no run day). It was tough. I obviously need to build up my cardio strength. Blush Needless to say, today's run... didn't really happen, unless three-quarters of a mile is considered a run. Undecided I think I will stick to strength training and yoga/pilates until I am in better shape. Geeze.
                      Monica My Blog
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

today's run... didn't really happen, unless three-quarters of a mile is considered a run. Undecided
                        You got out there. so yes, you ran. 3/4 of a mile is always better than no run at all.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kcam

Thanks for all the replies. I joined a gym, and I thought I would "check out" a spinning class yesterday (no run day). It was tough. I obviously need to build up my cardio strength. Blush Needless to say, today's run... didn't really happen, unless three-quarters of a mile is considered a run. Undecided I think I will stick to strength training and yoga/pilates until I am in better shape. Geeze.
                          Excellent on joining the gym. I'm a very long-time runner who just joined a gym back in February. One of the best things you can do in there is to build your cardio strength. Hit the elliptical, the bike, the treadmill. TM for me is the least beneficial as if I'm gonna run I'll do it outside. If your goal is to be a better runner then don't sandbag on the machines - work em hard, use intervals and inclines, as there's no impact and they really take nothing out of you. I can hit the elliptical pretty hard even after running a solid interval session earlier in the day and feel great afterwards. Those spinning classes are a great way to build up your cardiovascular system. I don't like the idea of sticking to strength training and yoga/pilates "until you're in better shape". Do those things but also ease into the cardio with the goal of racking up some solid time and effort on the machines. It will help get you in running shape much better than just strength/yoga.

Prince of Fatness

It will help get you in running shape much better than just strength/yoga.
                            Agree. I do yoga to improve flexibility, balance, and muscle tone, not for cardio. I do feel that it helps my running in the areas of injury prevention and improving running form. Does yoga make me a better runner? I don't know. Maybe indirectly because it allows me to run more miles without becoming injured.

Not at it at all. 

I'm still a newbie -- just finished the c25k program and ran my first 5K. I plan on continuing with running 3-4 times per week. I was thinking of adding in some other exercise on my off days. Do you cross train? What do you do? I've heard that cycling is good, as well as swimming, but I've no idea where to start with either.
                              The Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (FIRST) recommends exactly what you are considering. You can pick up their publication entitled "Run Less Run Faster" and it will tell you everything you need to know. It will give you a solid training program for the 5K, 10K, Half Marathon or Marathon - whatever floats your boat. The program recommends three key runs per week - Intervals, Tempo Runs, Long Runs. In addition to the running, it recommends two days of cross training not to mention the stretches and strength training you will need to do as well. The recommended cross training is upright stationary bike, swimming or rowing machine. It lays it all out really well and tells why they recommend certain ones and why they don't recommend others. Since you say you have no idea where to start, I think you will find this book extremely helpful.

I intend to live forever . . . or die trying.

Buffalo Gal Rides Again

I do more cross training during the winter, because Michigan is a snow globe and I'm not as prone to get outside in the sub-zero weather. To stay cardio fit over the winter, I compete in Indoor Triathlons, so swim, spin and get on the treadmill to prepare for those. I also work with a trainer for strength and balance year round.
                                March: Irish Jig 5K (DONE), Kent City Ridge Run 5K (DONE) April: Iron Girl 5K (DONE), Kentucky Derby Half May: 5/3 (10K) July: Cherry Festival 15K August: Chicago Rock N Roll Half, Crim Festival of Races (10 miler) October: Grand Rapids Marathon (Half-Hometown Gig)