My Moonlight Challenge (Read 331 times)

Just thought I would drop this little race report in for you to viewBig grin At the end of last year I decided to run the Moonlight Challenge a 5 lap run/challenge, each lap being 6.55 miles. A very well selected length as it was a quarter marathon. I am a fledgling ultra runner and had decided to run the full 5 laps but the weather conditions were quite bad with temperatures dropping to 27-28 F after wind chill, with muddy fields, paths and all in the dark Shocked I began to feel a bit ill at mile 25 and after a bad stumble decided to call it a day at the end of lap 4, completing my first nighttime marathon. If you ever get the chance do one, they are brilliant. Here is my race report My Moonlight Challenge....enjoy

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

jules2

Jerry, before the event you asked what was the best food to eat that didn't freeze and I suggested bread soaked in vodka. If only you had listened to me you'd have dropped out the first lap and saved yourself a lot of grief. Seriously knowing what the weathers been like over here most people wouldn't have turned up let alone ran, well done.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow...so a trail marathon in the dark...in bitter cold with mud? I don't think I would have made it 2 laps under those conditions. But I must say that I'd love to run a race with a bagpiper on the course. Closest I have come is the accordion player jamming polka ("In Heaven There Is No Beer") in the yard of his farmhouse at mile 3 of the Milwaukee Marathon. A cozy pub with English beer probably would have made that decision to drop the last lap easier for most of us here. Smile NICE job! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay