Runner dies taking ibuprofen + supplements (Read 656 times)

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

You are correct. I should not have used the word "all". I do not believe ALL use of NSAIDS for acute pain is prohibited. I don't believe ANY is "PROHIBITED".

Then perhaps you should re-address the wording of your post.

By your logic, any use of NSAIDS for acute pain is prohibited.

You did clearly state that all drugs should be avoided except under a doctor's care.  Not only that, but that the condition be chronic.

And thank you, I would love a martini right now but in the vicinity of this wonderful medical conference I must be content with average-quality beer.  Sad

MTA:  I do agree people should be more informed and discriminating on what they put in their bodies.  I just prefer it be based on actual scientific information and risk/benefit analysis.

Yes Trent, I know that heroin is manufactured from the natural opium.

Boy, you guys are tough. I need to run my words though my quantum logic analyzer before I upload them. Now where did I leave that thing.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

dennrunner

Not sure who should be insulted more. Trent or spaniel?

L.Chang

CT JEFF

http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/medical/do-the-salt

Pain Relievers

Recent medical research has shown that non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs) like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc. may be harmful to runners’ kidney function if taken within 24 hours of running; acetaminophen (Tylenol®Wink has been shown to be safe. These NSAIDs are thought to increase the possibility of hyponatremia while running long distances due to their decreasing blood flow to the kidneys and interfering with a hormone that helps the body retain salt. Therefore it is recommended that on race day (specifically beginning midnight before you run) you do not use anything but acetaminophen (Tylenol®Wink if needed until 6 hours after you have finished the race, are able to drink without any nausea or vomiting, have urinated once, and feel physically and mentally back to normal. Then, an NSAID would be of benefit in preventing post-event muscle soreness.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Grzldvt

This seems to be a monthly topic/debate with both sides thinking they are right and ensuing panic setting in.  I can't wait for the study that states eating Gel's and sports drink cause cancer and watch the panic over that.

I have been taking 2 Excedrin before I go running(3-5 days a week) for the last 30 years, to help with a compartment syndrome issue and take a couple  during my marathons around mile 18 or so. Never had any recovery issues, nor any performance issues, other than my own lack of training.

My guess is people that take it during a race/run, feel better, and push themselves beyond their training and then have a tougher time recovering because they went over their limit. No medical degree, just years of running experience with a little common sense.

I have been inspected, detected and rejected, and have zero issues with the stomach, or any other organ.

Nor has it EVER hidden any injury.

I suspect your chances of getting hit by a car running down the road are higher than dying taking some pain killer.  Don't know, just sayin'.

Your experience may vary, but mine won't change.

32 Big Surs working on number 33

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is no debate here.

Your experience -- or mine -- isn't statistically significant. That's an important point for a rational person to consider.

This seems to be a monthly topic/debate with both sides thinking they are right and ensuing panic setting in.  I can't wait for the study that states eating Gel's and sports drink cause cancer and watch the panic over that.

I have been taking 2 Excedrin before I go running(3-5 days a week) for the last 30 years, to help with a compartment syndrome issue and take a couple  during my marathons around mile 18 or so. Never had any recovery issues, nor any performance issues, other than my own lack of training.

My guess is people that take it during a race/run, feel better, and push themselves beyond their training and then have a tougher time recovering because they went over their limit. No medical degree, just years of running experience with a little common sense.

I have been inspected, detected and rejected, and have zero issues with the stomach, or any other organ.

Nor has it EVER hidden any injury.

I suspect your chances of getting hit by a car running down the road are higher than dying taking some pain killer.  Don't know, just sayin'.

CT JEFF

Agree with TRENT and MST. There is no debate.

The FDA and drug companies clearly list the risk. Personally, I feel this discussion is a chance for awareness, I dont see any panic here.

I have been taking 2 Excedrin before I go running(3-5 days a week) for the last 30 years, to help with a compartment syndrome issue and take a couple  during my marathons around mile 18 or so. Never had any recovery issues, nor any performance issues, other than my own lack of training. Congratulations. Most people have no issues. That is not news. It is noteworthy that the risks of these medications are becoming more apparent.

My guess is people that take it during a race/run, feel better, and push themselves beyond their training and then have a tougher time recovering because they went over their limit. No medical degree, just years of running experience with a little common sense. It cant happen to me attitude. It happens to "those" people. From the FDA, "the lowest effective dose should be used for the shortest duration possible"

Nor has it EVER hidden any injury. Only 1 out of 5 (20% ) of people with GI problems had symptoms. I hope you continue to be lucky enough to use your medication without the negative effects that you likely wouldnt know about until it is too late.

Well...   #1 cause of death is heart disease and ibuprofen has CARDIO vascular risks including, "...serious cardiovascular (CV) thrombotic events, myocardial infarction, and stroke, which can be fatal." #2 cause of death is cancer. #3 risk of death is stroke, but I already mentioned the cardio VASCULAR risk. And #4 is accidents.  So maybe the risk of #1 and #3 from the drug is lower than the risk of #4 by cars.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

http://www.drugs.com/pro/ibuprofen.html

Many deaths from painkillers are from prescription painkillers. 15,000 in 2008 per the FDA. However, this is based on the death certificate. Even the event that started this conversation does not have "NSAID overdose" on the death certificate.

Death Rates From Painkiller Overdose

Death rates from painkiller overdose contribute to the ever-growing problem of drug overdoses in general. In 2008 when the CDC did the study on illegal and prescription drug abuse and death rates, it was found that there were 36,450 deaths from drug overdosing. The painkiller deaths were a contributing number to this amount. These death rates are only second to the leading cause of death from injury - automotive accidents and vehicle crashes, which totaled 39,973 in 2008.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Feeling the growl again

I'm confused.  Are you trying to somehow link deaths from prescription opiod deaths to ibuprofen?  Deaths due to excessive doses of opiods...or mixing opiods with other drugs and alcohol...and kidney/liver toxicity and dehydration with ibuprofen....are very different animals.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/ibuprofen.html

Many deaths from painkillers are from prescription painkillers. 15,000 in 2008 per the FDA. However, this is based on the death certificate. Even the event that started this conversation does not have "NSAID overdose" on the death certificate.

Death Rates From Painkiller Overdose

Death rates from painkiller overdose contribute to the ever-growing problem of drug overdoses in general. In 2008 when the CDC did the study on illegal and prescription drug abuse and death rates, it was found that there were 36,450 deaths from drug overdosing. The painkiller deaths were a contributing number to this amount. These death rates are only second to the leading cause of death from injury - automotive accidents and vehicle crashes, which totaled 39,973 in 2008.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

So rather than actually answering my question, you go back and edit your prior post to add CV events and claim that because CV events are frequent killers and ibuprofen has CV events, somehow the two are related.

OK, that is completely nonsensical, but OK.

If you actually go and read the DATA on ibuprofen and CV events, rather than try and draw some false correlation between the overall rate of CV events causing deaths and the fact that ibuprofen has SOME SMALL RISK BELOW 1% of causing CV events of any degree, the overall picture you paint might be quite different.

This is what really annoys me about all of this.  Are there risks to ibuprofen?  Absolutely.  But this unfounded fear-mongering exaggerating those risks has gotten ridiculous.  Even in the data for ibuprofen, the majority of adverse events are in people with prior CV risk factors.  Did you even take this into consideration?  It does not appear so.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

CT JEFF

So rather than actually answering my question, you go back and edit your prior post to add CV events and claim that because CV events are frequent killers and ibuprofen has CV events, somehow the two are related. My edits were to try and post my point as clearly as possible. Believe it or not. I didnt see your post. Everything does not revolve around you.

OK, that is completely nonsensical, but OK. People die from X. This this has X.  Somehow there is a relation? thats crazy.

If you actually go and read the DATA on ibuprofen and CV events, rather than try and draw some false correlation between the overall rate of CV events causing deaths and the fact that ibuprofen has SOME SMALL RISK BELOW 1% of causing CV events of any degree, the overall picture you paint might be quite different. I know the risk is small. So we should ignore cancer because "most people" dont get it?

This is what really annoys me about all of this.  Are there risks to ibuprofen?  Absolutely.  But this unfounded fear-mongering exaggerating those risks has gotten ridiculous.  Even in the data for ibuprofen, the majority of adverse events are in people with prior CV risk factors.  Did you even take this into consideration?  It does not appear so. RISK. There are risks to many things. Even when the risk is small, it should be acknowledged. Knowledge and exposure of the truth should not scare you so much.

CT JEFF

I'm confused.  Are you trying to somehow link deaths from prescription opiod deaths to ibuprofen?  Deaths due to excessive doses of opiods...or mixing opiods with other drugs and alcohol...and kidney/liver toxicity and dehydration with ibuprofen....are very different animals.

No. I was addressing GRZLDVT's comment "I suspect your chances of getting hit by a car running down the road are higher than dying taking some pain killer.  Don't know, just sayin'."

Car deaths are higher than pain killer deaths. And about half pain killer deaths are prescriptions.  So, I was agreeing with his comment. However, I also stated that even IF the CAUSE was ibuprofin, it was not listed as such in many deaths, including this one.

Feeling the growl again

I'm quite aware the world does not revolve around me, thanks for pointing that out.  Roll eyes  The fact that you felt the need to take a personal shot like that sheds quite a bit of light on your frame of mind in having a discussion on the topic.  Perhaps sport jester has too much influence around here lately.

Yes, CV events kill a lot of people.  Yes, NSAIDs have CV events.  but to relate the two, without at all acknowledging the relative risk of the agents being discussed, is completely foolhardy and misleading.  Have you actually looked at the data?  I have.  Given the DATA, your fearmongering appears very misleading.  While the risks should be acknowledged, on the whole they are small and more relevant to certain populations and situations.  They are not the agents of death that seem to being put forward here.

Finally, I suggest you quote others then post a reply separately.  Honestly the way you are replying, using both bold within the quoted posts of others, and separate text, is very confusing.

zonykel

Finally, I suggest you quote others then post a reply separately.  Honestly the way you are replying, using both bold within the quoted posts of others, and separate text, is very confusing.

+1

And people can't quote you if you are editing someone else's quote.

CT JEFF

I'm quite aware the world does not revolve around me, thanks for pointing that out.  Roll eyes  The fact that you felt the need to take a personal shot like that sheds quite a bit of light on your frame of mind in having a discussion on the topic.  Perhaps sport jester has too much influence around here lately. you take shots at me, but I cant at you. Got it.