Ice / snow running. Trails with Yaktrax or ice screws or what? (Read 989 times)

lostinacrowd

I was talking to someone before a marathon who was selling Yaktrax and he said he prefers something to them. I can't remember what it was he liked better.

I'd like to open the discussion up for trail runners and what they use on snow and ice. I was considering getting some #6x1/4in sheet metal screws and studding my shoes, but I want to know if they'll be okay after I take the screws out. I don't want to ruin the nice rubber on my new Saucony Razors! Then I thought Yaktrax would be good, but people are saying they break easily...

Advice?

I don't run on streets unless I have to. I don't want to lose the fitness I worked for this summer. I have miles of trails behind my house, but they do get icy like mad sometimes...

Ostrich runner

I usually see screw shoes made out of old shoes.  I don't slip too much on ice in my Cascadias, but I am hoping to pick up some cheap xc skis this year too.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Chris UK

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

ymmv

I followed these instructions and made screw shoes. More than once last year, I ran in the early morning, then later was surprised at how slick the same roads were when I drove on them.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Then I thought Yaktrax would be good, but people are saying they break easily...

I am going on at least my 3rd Winter with my original pair of Yaktrax...I don't find that they break easily, obviously.  I figure I've probably put nearly 1k miles on them...not bad for a $40 investment.

Those who find they break easily are likely running too much on clear asphalt/concrete or heavy heel strikers.  I could see where a heavy heel strike would wear through the piece of rubber that runs up the back, outer heel area.  And running on non-snow/ice surfaces logically will wear the steel coils down fast.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

I also do screws in the shoes, in my old sneakers.  Works great.

peace

Screw shoes are awesome.  I put 100s of miles on mine every winter.

You can take the screws out and use the shoes just fine, too...

emanscott

Lover of New Shoe smell

Another vote for screwshoes. Busted mine out the other day.

"Grey Hound Pub 5k" held every Monday night at 6:30 pm in scenic Kelley Square Worcester Massachusetts regardless of rain, sleet, snow, thunder, lighting, hookers, car chases, elephants, bums, road construction, horse drawn carriages etc. (yes we've experienced all of the above) Free run and everyone is welcome to participate!

Get Lost :)

I run mostly in the city with YakTrax Pro strapped to NB 505s. Second winter season.

Gotta TRI

I have and do utilize both methods. In fact dug out my " screw " shoes yesterday. I used an older pair of my Brooks for the screws. I also like the yak trax too.
                      2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

what are lions?

recently got this semi-related tip from a marathoner teammate re yaktrax. when you're running on pavement,  take a couple sec's to remove them and either stash them on a running belt or in a rear jacket pocket- like the ones on cycling jackets (items don't bounce). i find yaktrax really awkward on road/trail stretches that aren't snowy or icy, and they also kill my knees after a prolonged time. plus, as one post mentioned, asphalt will wear out the steel springs (and even quicker, the rubber). still, they are amazing- never slipped once on solid ice, or ice-coated snow.