Best Vacation Spot For (Read 206 times)

Running but it also has to have a beach and needs to be on the eastern side of the US.  Anyone kind of have a secret spot they love?  Feel free to PM me if you don't want too many people to know.

We have yet to plan the family vacation and I need one bad.  My DW is a runner and she wants a beach.  I hate crowds!  It would be nice if the place had a couple of things for the kids to do but if it has a beach they will have fun.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

Feeling the growl again

You said "beach, no crowds".  If you search out rentals, you will be surprised how cheap you can rent out an entire house for a week, right on the beach.  We have one in Port Austin for a week this year.

Don't expect a lot in the way of tourist attractions or anything, but it is seriously non-crowded and relaxing.  There is enough to do if you are into the right things...I grew up there so I should know.  Google "Caseville Cheeseburger Festival" as well.

Running is easy and everywhere, but not spectacular.  A few trails in the parks along the shore, but gravel back roads everywhere.

Also check out the Lake Michigan shoreline, though that will be both more crowded and expensive.

MTA:  Did I mention this is one of the cheapest places to vacation imaginable?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

What is the best place to search out rentals for such a house?  Is it a lot like Traverse City.  We did the Marathon last year.

• Sub 22  5K

Prince of Fatness

I cannot think of any place along the shore on the east coast that would not be crowded in the summer.  Now that our kids are out of school we go in September.  The weather is still nice (although it is right in the heart of hurricane season), the water is warm, lots of places are still open, and there are less crowds).  Not sure what your kid situation is but that's an idea to throw out there.

I have been to the Jersey shore many times and there are plenty enough places to run.  Places with boardwalks are good ... no cars to deal with.  Delaware beaches are good.  There is a nice trail just inland from Rehoboth Beach.  I went to the far north part of the Outer Banks in NC and the only place to run was on the main road.  Lots of traffic.  Little in the way of a shoulder.  No good.  Not sure how it is further down the Outer Banks.

What you may want to do is pick out a few specific places and ask here about how the running is.

Not at it at all. 

I cannot think of any place along the shore on the east coast that would not be crowded in the summer.

I can but I'm sure as hell not going to tell Bearcat about them.

Runners run

Prince of Fatness

Heh.  Actually you are right.  Some of the places I go to are not too bad once you are there.  It just is a pain getting to and from there.  Places that are on islands and peninsulas were there is a limited number of roads on and off.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Acadia National Park on Mt. Desert Island in Maine is beautiful.  Some parts are crowded, but the stupid tourists all congregate in the same area (Loop Road).  There are 40 miles of carriage roads that John Rockefeller built that are perfect for running.  No vehicles are allowed.  If I could afford it, I would move there just so I could run on those roads all of the time.

You can find reasonable cabin rentals (in towns such as Southwest Harbor), but they won't be on the beach.  It would be a short drive to get there.

kcam

Acadia National Park on Mt. Desert Island in Maine is beautiful.  Some parts are crowded, but the stupid tourists all congregate in the same area (Loop Road).  There are 40 miles of carriage roads that John Rockefeller built that are perfect for running.  No vehicles are allowed.  If I could afford it, I would move there just so I could run on those roads all of the time.

You can find reasonable cabin rentals (in towns such as Southwest Harbor), but they won't be on the beach.  It would be a short drive to get there.

HEY!!  I guess I kinow where to congregate when I visit Acadia.

Really, but I want to know where all of the losers wearing tights hang out?  Actually if you just let me know when your out of state that would be good enough for me.  I actually like Mass and wouldn't mind going back there.

• Sub 22  5K
                    L Train

Good grief, Teresa, what are you doing?

Which reminds me, Bearcat, Springvale, Maine is lovely (or so I'm told.) It's nice and quiet and there are lots of good (some really quiet) beaches in nearby Wells, Ogunquit and Kennebunk. Goose Rocks Beach is awesome.

Just don't call the Springvale Police if there is an emergency, since they don't exist.

Runners run

L Train

We do have a fire department and post office, a Rite Aid and a check cashing place.  There's a hardware store, too.  Just no schools or police.

Those other towns are nice in the summer.  And all you have to do in the summer to run is find Route 1 and stay on it.  Pleasant.

a Rite Aid and a check cashing place.  There's a hardware store, too.  Just no schools or police.

There was a time in my life when this would have sounded like heaven on earth.

Runners run

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Nantucket Island is perfect for running and cycling and has nice beaches. Very flat and beautiful scenery. It also has a nice historic town (the whaling museum is the place to go on a rainy day), restaurants, B&Bs, bars, bicycle rental shops, etc. It doesn't get too crowded because you have to get there by ferry and the ferries book up early. It can be expensive and it books up quickly. You can go without a car if you stay in town -- there is a beach within walking distance.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Another good spot (and much less expensive than Nantucket) is Ocean City, NJ. Like many shore towns, it can get a bit crowded, but because it is a "dry" town (no liquor sold but you can bring your own), it attracts a family crowd and you don't get the crowds of college students and 20-somethings. It has lovely beaches, a nice boardwalk, and fun stuff for kids like water parks, amusement parks, mini-golf, movie theaters and arcades. The boardwalk is nice to run on and you can also run on town streets and the beach. And if you want to do track work, the high school track is available as well.