Anyone have any good strategies for dealing with horse flies? (Read 236 times)

sorry if i missed something but is there a brand that works better...what brand are you using?

I don't know.  I only use what my wife buys and it always seems to work.  I don't know if it's the charge or the scent.

I'm not afraid to look stupid on the trails.  So I just pin them on my running hat.

ymmv

I put a 'Bounce' dryer sheet in the back of my hat for my Sunday run thru the low and swampy areas of my weekend route. I had only one bug bugging me, unlike a typical summer day when there are dozens.

I'll be doing the same for the rest of the summer.

giddy-yup

Wear a running hat.  safety pin a dryer sheet to the hat near the ears.  You will not be bit.  It works.

+1 for dryer sheets. I tie them to my handheld. Any well known brand works.

bap

Certified Running Coach
          Crocked since 2013

Have not had issues with horseflies while running, but used to in my old golfing days.  I used to keep a thing of Skin So Soft roll on in my golf bag.  It worked pretty good.  As a side benefit I smelled pretty.

I think that Avon actually makes a Skin So Soft bug repellant now.

My wife and Mother-In-Law use this as well while camping.  Never thought about it for running, I'll give it a try.

What was I chasing again?

+1 for dryer sheets. I tie them to my handheld. Any well known brand works.

Found an article as well... Skin so soft likely works for the same reason...

No, this isn’t a joke. First lets look at why. Mosquitoes are drawn to the smell of humans, particularly sweat. If you can effectively mask that scent, then you have become a stealth bomber flying through mosquito armed areas undetected. If you can take a dryer sheet and wipe yourself down, giving special attention to those nooks and crannies where sweat loves to form, twice a day, you will be amazed at the difference it makes in your attractiveness to these little demons. Once you have wiped yourself down, toss the dryer sheet in your hat and wear it underneath. Your head sweats quite a bit, to keep you cool of course. But, for this very reason, it needs a little extra help covering up the smell of sweat to the skeeters.

What was I chasing again?

L Train

My wife and Mother-In-Law use this as well while camping.  

Who was trying to repel whom?

Latent Runner

The problem with Skin So Soft (and other aromatics which effectively repel insects) and dryer sheets is that when you're running down a trail (at least a trail here in New Hampshire), the bugs attacking you head-on don't figure out you smell bad (to them) until they're up your nose, deep in your ear, in your eyes, or half way down your throat.  Sad

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                  • 2-mile: 13:49
                  • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                  • 5-Mile: 37:24
                  • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                  • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                  • Half Marathon: 1:42:13