Need Vacation Ideas (Read 571 times)

va

I am trying to plan a family vacation for August. I have about nine days. Have a wife, son 16, and a daughter 14. Thinking about Niagra Falls and Cedar Point Amusement Park as two possible destinations. This will not fill 9 days. Need ideas for destinations in surrounding areas. Any suggestions?
      There are lots of things between VA and the Canadian border. What are the interests of each of the family members? -National and State parks?

Vim

What do you like to do on vacations? Last year, we spent three nights at a dude ranch, three nights in Montreal (by the old city) and three nights in Old Quebec. This year we're going to the beach in the Carolinas.
        "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Niagara is great, but really really expensive. If you go, stay on the Canadian side but you may want to avoid a big package with tickets to lots of things you probably would not do. You may also want to go spend a couple of days up at Niagara on the Lake, a quaint and beautiful town up north. There are loads of wineries up there, including Inniskillin, probably the best eiswine around. You can also spend some time up in upstate New York and Toronto while in the area.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The Sleeping Bear Dunes/Leelanau County, MI area is gorgeous! Very family-friendly, too! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

shyrunner07

don't forget Casa Loma if you are near Toronto- very cool. You could drive west and visit the Detroit area- the zoo is wonderful. There's also the Michigan State Fair in Detroit- might be worth checking out if it coincides with your trip (just looked, the fair dates are Aug 22- Sept 3). There are lots of museums, a Holocaust one in my old stomping grounds (Farm. Hills). Greektown is great for bites...couple of good malls which your teens might enjoy (Somerset and 12 Oaks). Take in a ball game at Comerica Park. Meet up with some RA Michiganders. Wink As well as Cedar Point, you could travel just a bit west and hit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum....also Cleveland's Science Museum....and you'd be in the area of amish country- that's always interesting to see.
              va

Thanks for all of the tips!!! Here is some more background...We are all very different, so our vacations usually include a little of something for everyone. I enjoy nature's wonders and like to do things like hiking, horseback riding, biking, canoeing/kayaking, ... My wife likes more cultured things like art and history museums, dining out, and shopping, ...My son is into history big time. My daughter is into amusement parks, especially roller coasters. We've done Cape Breton, Montreal/Quebec City, Outer Banks, Asheville, Florida/Orlando, Yellowstone/Grand Teton, Disney Cruise, ...
                  Thanks for all of the tips!!! Here is some more background...We are all very different, so our vacations usually include a little of something for everyone. I enjoy nature's wonders and like to do things like hiking, horseback riding, biking, canoeing/kayaking, ... My wife likes more cultured things like art and history museums, dining out, and shopping, ...My son is into history big time. My daughter is into amusement parks, especially roller coasters. We've done Cape Breton, Montreal/Quebec City, Outer Banks, Asheville, Florida/Orlando, Yellowstone/Grand Teton, Disney Cruise, ...
                  Go here: http://www.campbellcampground.com/ And tell the nice people (my mom and step-dad) at the office that Michelle says hi! Big grin
                  Niagara is great, but really really expensive. If you go, stay on the Canadian side but you may want to avoid a big package with tickets to lots of things you probably would not do. You may also want to go spend a couple of days up at Niagara on the Lake, a quaint and beautiful town up north. There are loads of wineries up there, including Inniskillin, probably the best eiswine around. You can also spend some time up in upstate New York and Toronto while in the area.
                  You could stay at the campground, just two hours from Niagara Falls. OR....this is our favorite beach vacation: http://www.castleinthesand.com/

Michelle

I vaguely remeber travelling with my family to Niagra when I was about 16. I agree with Trent's suggestion that you stay on the Canadian side. As I recall, the American side was a bit trashy and lacked some of the fun events that Canada has (I think there was a big wax museum there too). Also, Casa Loma was great and perhaps something more up your wife alley in terms of cultured stuff, not to mention Toronto is a great city to explore. Have a great trip!