Crazy clothing choice? (Read 703 times)

Earlier this evening, I was driving back from my MCAT class at about 10PM. With the windchill, the temp is 20 F. I happened to notice this old guy running on the side of the road. I did a double-take (and nearly drove off the road) when I noticed he was wearing only short-shorts and the thinnest T-shirt I've ever seen. And he wasn't going very fast. He was just trotting along, happy as a clam. His core body temp must have been just above freezing. Shocked So this begs the question: what's the most inappropriate outfit (weather-wise or otherwise) you've ever worn while running? Me - I always dress to the nines wherever I go. (and by that I mean I enjoy keeping all my fingers and toes intact.) Tongue

Cause I CAN

My problem is never under dressing ,,,its over dressing...I usually end up dying and shedding some layers in mid run
      Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
      http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm generally pretty good at dressing appropriately for temps. I will look at the weather and wind and decide how many layers and whether to wear a windbreaker or heavier gloves. I'm not afraid of overdressing...I can always tie my jacket around my waist once I warm up. But I have been a little underdressed a few times or had the temp drop mid-run. I am not fond of that. I think it was last Spring that the wind picked-up and it started to pour while I was out in a thin shirt and skirt. It was probably 45-50, but 45-50 and still is different than the same temp with wind and rain. I was pretty chilled by the time I got home.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vengeancewins

Craziest would probably be just shorts and no shirt in a torrential downpour and the temperature barely above 50. Good times...
          xor

So this begs the question: what's the most inappropriate outfit (weather-wise or otherwise) you've ever worn while running?
            When I do not run in pink.

So many people out today looked like Ralphie from A Christmas Story. Is a scarf really necessary to go running? Maybe they're just trying to use their Christmas loot before it gets too warm. Why knows? I occasionally run with someone who wears basketball shorts over pajama pants, none of it matching. He looks really funny until you see how fast he is.

If I had a dollar for every time I said that, I'd be making money in a very weird way. - Mitch Hedberg

Purdey

Self anointed title

So this begs the question: what's the most inappropriate outfit (weather-wise or otherwise) you've ever worn
                A pvc catsuit to a funeral.
                while running?
                Oh. My mistake. Probably a running skirt. Wink

Jill_B

I fly.

I wore shorts to a February race on the boardwalk (next to the ocean). Not pleasant.

Bring it on.

Like Zoomie said, sometimes you can get fouled up by weather, even with the best planning. As for me, I don't even think about long pants until the temp hits freezing. I usually go with the shorts/long sleeve shirt/gloves and maybe balaclava (on windy days) attire. My avatar shows me fininshing the Philadelphia Marathon in November. Temps that day were 17 deg F at the start (wind chill of 7), and it was about 27 deg F at the time of the photo. The adjustments I made on that day were compression shorts under my running shorts (to protect ...ahem... important parts) and a short sleeve tech shirt under my long sleeve shirt.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Hmmm. That was pretty much the weather at the Philly marathon and several people were running in shorts and some in singlets. I usually wear shorts until 35F without the windchill, unless it's raining. I usually have no problem choosing the right clothes. But if I ever have a problem, just like Peach mentioned, it's overdressing. Ideally, I plan clothes so I'm cold the first 5-10 minutes and then warm up. If I overdress. I am comfortable the first 5-10 minutes, but then I get sweaty and then get cold and uncomfortable for the rest of the run. There's a guy I sometimes cross which is a professor at a local university here in Montreal. He's not running, but winter or summer he's walking around in shorts and sandals (no socks). I saw him once getting on the bus after a snow storm with his shorts and sandals. He had some snow on his toes. Freaky!
                        A pvc catsuit to a funeral.
                        uhh, i'm pretty sure that's the most original thing i've ever heard. hope everyone else at the funeral found it funny Tongue Zoomy - I definitely overdress sometimes, but i always worry about running with my jacket tied around my waist. doesn't the flapping bother you?
                        There's a guy I sometimes cross which is a professor at a local university here in Montreal. He's not running, but winter or summer he's walking around in shorts and sandals (no socks). I saw him once getting on the bus after a snow storm with his shorts and sandals. He had some snow on his toes. Freaky!
                        now that's crazy!
                        rlemert

There's a guy I sometimes cross which is a professor at a local university here in Montreal. He's not running, but winter or summer he's walking around in shorts and sandals (no socks). I saw him once getting on the bus after a snow storm with his shorts and sandals. He had some snow on his toes. Freaky!
                          Going to college outside Denver, I had a classmate who would wear little more than a tee-shirt and cutoffs year-round. I found out years later that he had some sort of metabolic issues that set his internal furnace at a higher level than most people's.
                            Hmmm. That was pretty much the weather at the Philly marathon and several people were running in shorts and some in singlets.
                            Yeah, you're right, a lot of the hard core racers were wearing singlets. That's a bit much for me. Shocked

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright