NYT: Modern Marathoners Have Fewer Miles on Them (Read 938 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Eek, I have been averaging 25-30/week in the past few months and I wouldn't even consider a marathon at this point...I feel that I would be woefully unprepared and risk injury. It boggles the mind that there are folks who even consider paying the race fee and attempting it with so relatively few miles/week under their belts. It sounds painful!
    Actually, just last week I did the Vermont City Marathon on 25-30 miles per week training. Finished in 3:41. It was hard, but not really any harder than earlier marathons for which I had more miles. Of course, I know I could run a lot faster on a lot more miles. But at least I stayed healthy and uninjured (thanks to lots of rest days -- see my log), and finished a decent race. That said, you're probably wise to wait longer. I've been running pretty much continuously for about twelve years, which I think reduces my chances of injury.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Needs more cowbell!

That said, you're probably wise to wait longer. I've been running pretty much continuously for about twelve years, which I think reduces my chances of injury.
      Yup...I've only been running for a little over a year. At this point I predict that trying to do a marathon on my current training and experience would be an effort in pain, injury, and frustration. When I finally do complete my first marathon I want it to be a [mostly] good experience that I will be eager to repeat and PR. Smile k

I shoot pretty things! ~

'14 Goals:

• 2 olympic distance duathlons -- 6 days apart -- PR at least 1

• 130#s (and stay there, gotdammit!)