to spit or not to spit?? (Read 898 times)

I just want to know how you run a race and don't spit. That's talent.
    I don't know how I don't need to but so far it hasn't been an issue. Of course now that I've said this, during Sunday's marathon I'll probably end up spitting gallons, and to make it perfect irony, any race photo of me will be of me spitting. Clowning around

Michelle

Of course now that I've said this, during Sunday's marathon I'll probably end up spitting gallons, and to make it perfect irony, any race photo of me will be of me spitting. Clowning around
      And you will be bad-ass. Even moreso, because you are already bad-ass. Photodocumented badass, would, of course, be badass. I couldn't imagine carrying tissues. They'd be a sweaty mess in my palm.

Think Whirled Peas

I don't know how I don't need to but so far it hasn't been an issue. Of course now that I've said this, during Sunday's marathon I'll probably end up spitting gallons, and to make it perfect irony, any race photo of me will be of me spitting. Clowning around
        Try to pull off the often-tried, rarely-successful double. That's a snot rocket whilst spitting. And get THAT on camera. Instant classic running poster material.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

The Greatest of All Time

Try to pull off the often-tried, rarely-successful double. That's a snot rocket whilst spitting.
          Impossible me thinks. Or if it's actually pulled off neither the spit nor the snot rocket would travel far and might just end up somewhere on you.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Think Whirled Peas

Impossible me thinks. Or if it's actually pulled off neither the spit nor the snot rocket would travel far and might just end up somewhere on you.
            And hence the need for a camera... Smile

jeffdonahue

Spitting and snot-rockets (farmers blow) are both fine during a race as long as nobody is around you. I ran a 10K in February (prime runny nose season) and I had to just deal with it for the first 3 miles or so because there were too many people around.

Think Whirled Peas

Jeff, those aren't "people", they are "targets".

Now I'm curious. How many of you have been spit on/ spit on others? Since I haven't raced yet, I can only say I accidentally spit on a biker coming up on my left on the rail trail once. I had no Ipod or anything, either, but she was so darned quiet and didn't say anything. Poor thing. Scared the bajeebers outta me though.
                  C-R

That would be known as an exercise induced convultion and it would guarantee and few feet of clear running while the other "targets" gave you a wide berth. As Jake says - its a race and any bodily function that helps you get there faster or first is fair game.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Now I'm curious. How many of you have been spit on/ spit on others? Since I haven't raced yet, I can only say I accidentally spit on a biker coming up on my left on the rail trail once. I had no Ipod or anything, either, but she was so darned quiet and didn't say anything. Poor thing. Scared the bajeebers outta me though.
                      YUCK. I got spit on twice. Once by Scout during a race - NO, I didn't forget about that. And then in the last 5k race I ran, some guy simply didn't hear me as I was attempting to pass him, he had an ipod on. He apologized, but still, that was nasty.

Michelle

YUCK. I got spit on twice. Once by Scout during a race - NO, I didn't forget about that.
                        Ha! Even better when it's someone you know! Tongue
                          I was spit on once, and it's another good argument for no iPods. I breathe like a mortally wounded water buffalo* when I'm racing so you have to be cranking some death metal to not know I'm behind you. *evtish can testify to this

E.J.
                          Greater Lowell Road Runners
                          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I have never seen a woman do a snot rocket, so I think you're safe.
                            I did it, but it was my first. Not pretty. Although I did manage to miss myself. Wink

http://www.runningnotes.net

jeffdonahue

I have never been spit on (though a few close calls) and I ALWAYS make sure there is nobody within a good 15 feet of me before I spit (or snot rocket for that matter) just in case of a headwind or something that might carry it back a bit - otherwise I just deal with it.
                              Scout7

YUCK. I got spit on twice. Once by Scout during a race - NO, I didn't forget about that. And then in the last 5k race I ran, some guy simply didn't hear me as I was attempting to pass him, he had an ipod on. He apologized, but still, that was nasty.
                                It was a training run, not a race.