cold weather (Read 1110 times)

De-slacking in progress

Slaptear you live pretty close to my place. I think i'm going to try and hit some 5k's over New Philly Dover area next year do you know of any?
    I run races mostly in Stark county- they have what is called the challenger series sponsored mainly by Subway. http://www.ohiochallengeseries.com/ I know Tusc county has a loosely organized running series also. http://tvcrun.com/schedule.cfm Currently I am in training to run the Union Hospital(Dover/New Philly) Half Marathon which is on April 19, 2009. This race is part of the challenger series. In our areas from Cleveland down to New Philly and over to Wooster and east clear to Youngstown there are 1000's of races starting in April through Thanksgiving. Ohio seems to have alot of races to offer.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

I run races mostly in Stark county- they have what is called the challenger series sponsored mainly by Subway. http://www.ohiochallengeseries.com/ I know Tusc county has a loosely organized running series also. http://tvcrun.com/schedule.cfm Currently I am in training to run the Union Hospital(Dover/New Philly) Half Marathon which is on April 19, 2009. This race is part of the challenger series. In our areas from Cleveland down to New Philly and over to Wooster and east clear to Youngstown there are 1000's of races starting in April through Thanksgiving. Ohio seems to have alot of races to offer.
      Thats cool. I'm defintly going to try and check them out. Thanks alot.
      2009 Goals (nobody laugh) Run 800 miles or more Run 12 or more 5ks Run 2 10ks Get 5k times in 25's Run a 3 miler in 24:29 or less Run in HM in October
        Cold weather running is the best.! I just had to pry myself our of the house as I'm in the middle of the ice storm aftermath and it's really cold out -15 degrees or so. The first quarter mile I bargained with myself about just doing a mile or two, but after the first mile I'd warmed up and it was just beautiful out, so I did the planned 3 miles. You just have to watch your step for icy patches and get out the door.
          Welcome! Good advice here. For me, running in the cold is easy. It's getting up, getting dressed, and getting out the door that's hard.
          Do bears bear? Do bees be?
            I'm only an FNG, but I only run in the winter. Summer I don't get much running in. come to think of it, not much in the winter either. Someone suggested dress for 20 degrees warmer that it really is. That's the best advice. Also, wear a wind breaker if it's windy. I use a cycling vest. Wind break in the front, mesh in the back. This is key: you should be cold for the first 5 or 10 minutes! I don't ever follow that because I'm scared. Don't do as I do, do as I say! This week as been so lovely. Almost full moon, christmas lights, mid 20's. I wish every were like last week!

Old Running Guy!

Cold weather running is the best.! I just had to pry myself our of the house as I'm in the middle of the ice storm aftermath and it's really cold out -15 degrees or so. The first quarter mile I bargained with myself about just doing a mile or two, but after the first mile I'd warmed up and it was just beautiful out, so I did the planned 3 miles. You just have to watch your step for icy patches and get out the door.
              I really enjoy winter running and have been doing it for many years but have always been wary of icy spots, and have in fact fallen a few times. I have been looking around for something to add to my shoes to give grip on the icy. I read on Friday that one guy had just put some screws in an old pair of running shoes. Well yesterday I put some #8 x 1/2" long cheese head sheet metal screws around the edges of an old pair of shoes and today I ran in them. Guess what? they worked really well, no slipping and sliding. It felt like I was wearing cleats when I ran on a bit of dry pavement. Harold

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
              Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run