How does slowing down my fast runs speed up my race times? (Read 515 times)

jicama

Did we win?

One of the things I read in this thread is that I need to run a lot of easy miles during training and run myself silly in races.

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

ilanarama

Hi, Mom!

One of the things I read in this thread is that I need to run a lot of easy miles during training and run myself silly in races.

This is generally considered better than the other way around, yes. Wink

PRs: 10 1:12:59 (4/2014) 13.1 1:35:55 (10/2013) 26.2 3:23:31 (12/2013)

Next up: Durango Double 10/11-10/12, Deadhorse 50K (*gulp*) 10/18

bloggy stuff at http://ilanarama.dreamwidth.org

jicama

Did we win?

This is generally considered better than the other way around, yes. Wink

I never ran myself silly before my half-marathon earlier this month.  It wasn't very silly, but breathing took a conscious effort.  I knew that it would be easier if I'd just slow down, but I couldn't bring myself to do it...  I didn't like the way my body felt when I was done, but it felt good to beat my goal.

I'm gonna run myself stupid in my next 5K at the end of March!  I'll run a lot of easy miles, with a fair smattering of hard ones, before then.

I love this forum. Smile

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

A Saucy Wench

I am a huge fan of running yourself silly at a 5K now and then.  June 2005.  I had never ever broken a 10 minute mile. Not even for 1 mile.  Ever.  Wasnt even able to break 2:30 on track intervals for the 400.  Would have swore up and down that it wasnt possible for me.  My 5K pr was something like 34 minutes.  My HM PR was 2:20

I was visiting a friend in Cincinnati and she was what I considered "crazy fast" at the time.  We signed up for a tiny little 5K and in a fit of insanity I decided to try and keep up with her for as long as I could even if it meant blowing up.   Which was just shy of a mile.  They had people calling out splits. She went through in 8:29, I went through in  8:35 (holy crap!).  Of course by then I was dying.  2nd mile was ~9:30 and the 3rd mile was ~ 10:30.  Horrible horrible splits. Broke 30 minutes though.  9:33 average.  Mind altering.

A month later I ran a 9:31 pace for a 10K.  Because I knew I could run 9:30's now.  And 2 months after that I ran a 9:45 pace for a HM.

Which was not to the point of this thread.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

And in the end...

I am a huge fan of running yourself silly at a 5K now and then.  June 2005.  I had never ever broken a 10 minute mile. Not even for 1 mile.  Ever.  Wasnt even able to break 2:30 on track intervals for the 400.  Would have swore up and down that it wasnt possible for me.  My 5K pr was something like 34 minutes.  My HM PR was 2:20

I was visiting a friend in Cincinnati and she was what I considered "crazy fast" at the time.  We signed up for a tiny little 5K and in a fit of insanity I decided to try and keep up with her for as long as I could even if it meant blowing up.   Which was just shy of a mile.  They had people calling out splits. She went through in 8:29, I went through in  8:35 (holy crap!).  Of course by then I was dying.  2nd mile was ~9:30 and the 3rd mile was ~ 10:30.  Horrible horrible splits. Broke 30 minutes though.  9:33 average.  Mind altering.

A month later I ran a 9:31 pace for a 10K.  Because I knew I could run 9:30's now.  And 2 months after that I ran a 9:45 pace for a HM.

Which was not to the point of this thread.

I love this.

------------------------

The GITM is moot.