How to run a "non-goal" race (Read 711 times)

5. Run it without the beard.

Vim

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'd race it all out if it were 3 weeks.
      +1 I'd run it all out, then add on 3-5 miles at the end at a moderate (comfortable/non-race) pace. I've done this a LOT of times before goal races and it works for me.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

5. Run it without the beard.
        No can do until we change the clocks.
          Okay, so hoping to get back to running here in the in the next few days (sidelined for about 2 weeks with posterior tibial tendonitis) and will be going to see the podiatrist on the Monday after this to see about orthotics and such. My question is essentially twofold, I was thinking of running a 10K this coming Saturday and then have a 5k that is sort of a goal race in that it is a fairly flat course that should give me an idea of where I am at. My question, then, is presuming the foot is going strong is there anything wrong with racing the 10K on the 28th and if I do, will that leave me sufficient time to be fully recovered/prepared for the 5K the following weekend?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

My question, then, is presuming the foot is going strong is there anything wrong with racing the 10K on the 28th and if I do, will that leave me sufficient time to be fully recovered/prepared for the 5K the following weekend?
            Based on your age and weekly mileage, you will probably be fine with running both races, as long as your foot has no pain. If the 5K was super important to you, then you might want to reconsider, but if you recover a little more during the week you should do well.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!