Knots in plantar (Read 502 times)

bjoiner

Hey everyone,

I'm dealing with something.  At first I thought it was Plantar Fasciitis but I've had that before and this seems slightly different.  The bottom of my left foot feels really tight when I wake up in the morning (why I thought it was PF) and hurts as soon as I get out of bed.

I can feel knots in the bottom of my foot - which makes the plantar really tight.  If before getting out of bed I grab my foot and massage up and down a couple of times with my thumb  it makes a clicking sound and the knots magically disappear.  My foot feels normal again and I can walk/run fine.

I'm happy that I can continue to run, but it's really frustrating.  I'm surprised that the plantar can knot up so badly (I thought only muscles did that)

Any help is appreciated.

Hey everyone,

I'm dealing with something.  At first I thought it was Plantar Fasciitis but I've had that before and this seems slightly different.  The bottom of my left foot feels really tight when I wake up in the morning (why I thought it was PF) and hurts as soon as I get out of bed.

I can feel knots in the bottom of my foot - which makes the plantar really tight.  If before getting out of bed I grab my foot and massage up and down a couple of times with my thumb  it makes a clicking sound and the knots magically disappear.  My foot feels normal again and I can walk/run fine.

I'm happy that I can continue to run, but it's really frustrating.  I'm surprised that the plantar can knot up so badly (I thought only muscles did that)

Any help is appreciated.

I can think of 3 possibilities with what's going on there:

1) You probably did have PF and the "knot" is a scar tissue.  If this is the case, you do need to break down the scar tissue and this may involve some painful massaging.

2) The fact it "disappears" sort of indicates to me that it's more like a fluid build-up--I had that with my Achilles tendonitis and it'd get a "knob" (for Nobby) and, as I massage it out (it hurt like hell too!), it disappeared for a day or so and would come back.  Again, you'll probably need to massage it out and certain pain may involve.  For both (1) or (2), once you massage it, make sure you ice to alleviate inflammation.

3) Or it may be a cramping???  I wouldn't know if PF actually cramp but it may...I don't know.  This won't really explain this "clicking" sound though...  I've had a "clicking" sound, or more like a feeling, with scar tissue though...

I kinda opt for a scar tissue.  Then you'll probably need to break it down till it completely disappear.  You can dip your foot in warm water to loosen it up first; massage it--forcefully but gently at the same time; meaning, don't push or rush, forcefully but gradually--then ice it afterwards.

If it doesn't hurt while running--or walking--, I wouldn't worry too much about it but if it bothers you, you may want to replace the insole with more flat without the arch support area to lesson the excess rubbing.

JML

+1 on this.  I have PF in my right foot and also have the 'knots' that you describe.  I found a massage practitioner that does ART (Active Release Technique) that is helping to break up the scar tissue and make the fascia more pliable.  It is not a pleasant experience but the results have been worth it for me.

1) You probably did have PF and the "knot" is a scar tissue.  If this is the case, you do need to break down the scar tissue and this may involve some painful massaging.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

bjoiner

Thanks guys.  I ended up seeing a doctor yesterday.  He gave me some anti-inflammatory cream (Voltaren Gel) and thinks it's PF.  I think I agree more with your guys that it's probably scar tissue.  He did give me a prescription for physical therapy - so if it is scar tissue, hopefully they can help me work it out a little.

It is not a pleasant experience but the results have been worth it for me.

+1 on ART.  Ouch. Fixed my ITB though so worth it.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!