Does your family support your running? (Read 1715 times)

Member Since 2008

For some reason, my wife cannot stand my running. I cannot figure out why. She is not very active, and I do most of my runs early while she likes to sleep in. It's frustrating, but what van you do? My idea of an great vacation is going to somewhere like Hawaii and running, her idea is going there and laying on a beach.

SMART Approach

For some reason, my wife cannot stand my running. I cannot figure out why. She is not very active, and I do most of my runs early while she likes to sleep in. It's frustrating, but what van you do? My idea of an great vacation is going to somewhere like Hawaii and running, her idea is going there and laying on a beach.
      Wow, I am not so sure we are not married to separated identical twins.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

This thread has caused me to realize that my wife is extremely supportive of my running. Wow, I am lucky. She really is a good kid--I think I'll keep her.

Runners run

Eat, Play, Run

Not a day goes by when my dh doesn't grab my ass and tell me how sexy my runner body is. He didn't do that very often before I started running. He really does think it's HOT. The smiles and look on his face when I'm dressed and ready for a run tell all. Sorry to hear your story Doc (joyful). I had no idea your dh was not supportive. Debi
          That's the funny thing. My dh does appreciate what running has done to my body. But last night when we were talking about it (after he was groping me and I made a comment about running and hotness - I've also showed him the Dude Code post), he said he was happy with me before as well, and loves me no matter what I look like. He says he doesn't want me to give up running, he just doesn't think I should give it the priority I do. He would be happy if I ran a few 3-milers a week (preferably when everyone else is sleeping) and didn't run events. He doesn't understand my desire to train, to participate in races, and to do long runs. I would love to see him beaming at me when I'm dressed and on my way out for a run. But I'm satisfied with a lack of attitude going out and coming back in on Saturday mornings.

Eat, Play, Run

dupe - sorry!

Man in Tights

All the time. I don't let it bother me. I just go run the distance I want. So unless husband dear doesn't become too agressive about it I'd ignore him. Trying to explain things is a waste of time. Wink
                My hubby has been through all my running over 25 years and I asked to run the Great Wall of China Half for our 25th! A Big YES and the poor guy has to get a Spectator shirt,hang out for hours while I climb, run and walk this thing. He has always been good. Taking the kids when they were young and saying BE SAfe, every time I go out for a run. He doesn't grab me, but not a day goes by(even when he travels)that he doesn't say hi beautiful, gorgeous, sexy Big grin I guess the bottom line is we both have our own things and we support and respect each other, but rememberto meet in the middle once in a while. Ok, I bragged, but couldn't resist. Kathy
                  Yup. My wife is supportive. It gives her something to buy for me on special occasions. I run before she wakes up so there's no time conflict. And my kids are always asking me if I've caught up to the pink rabbit.

Jeremy

skinnycaponesugar

My husband is very supportive, however now that I've started being out for nearly an hour he seems to "notice" more often that I'm gone. I think sometimes he feels a bit left out, not because of the time that I spend away from him, which isn't much at this point, but because he sees that I'm having fun and getting stronger and healthier all on my own. It's a bit disconcerting for him, I suppose, but he intuitively recognizes the dude code Smile. He even said "I gotta start doing something too, if you're going to be running looking all gorgeous". We have two boys who can be very demanding and we share the work and still try to have individual time so that neither of us resents the other. I'd like to run more days so I'm trying to juggle a few things so I get support in the order of at least 85% . Big grin

Love, Run, Sleep

GP160

My DH is pretty supportive. We work opposite schedules so there are times that I have to choose a run over spending time with him. It sucks! I am on a dead line for my HM. I NEED to get the runs in. After ditchin him for a 10K run yesterday, I called him after to brag about my PR and he said "congrats babe, thats awesome!" I've got a good one Smile
                      Ironman Louisville 8-30-09
                        I'm sorry you have to deal with this again Michelle. Sad THere is nothing more draining than constant negativity. I LOL at Jakes advice from page one. Big grin Fortunately, Mike is the one who inspired me to start running almost 18 years ago when we first met. His job is such that he HAS to stay in good shape and is given time during his workday to workout. It took us a while and a few hard years when I was popping out babies (4), nursing, and sleep deprived but I've come out the other side more determined than ever. I run in the morning, he occasionally runs or bikes to work and swims after work. It does make for a long day but we are both happy just to have our individual workout times. It does make us happier...and happier for each other since we know how important it is. I used to resent the time he spent away working out, I will admit that. Only because I was jealous of his energy, drive and freedom to stay constant. I was never *that* serious mostly because I was too tired. It was irritating to see him be able to have so much *fun* and I was in a place I felt stuck. I wonder...your dh works long hard hours...maybe he's *stuck* and wishes he had the extra time and energy to have *fun*? I remember a time when I was really negative and hard on dh about working out and now I cringe because he's been nothing but supportive to me. I guess I have no advice...I sorta understand but don't really know what you can do. Maybe Mike will respond to this thread and tell you how he lived through it. Blush Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

Thank you all for sharing! My husband and I had a long talk about running. It's funny how things suddenly make sense. Funny in a "really? are you serious? wow. I didn't see that coming" sort of way. Smile To make a long story short - DH had started his major projects at work at the same time that I discovered RA and really dove head first back into running. This was a side of me that he wasn't familiar with since he didn't know me back in HS when I ran, and I ran very little prior to January 07. Well, since the events appeared connected he began to think that somehow I was using running (including the social aspect of it) to sort of fill the time that normally would have been spent with him. AND...he felt responsible for it. So, each time I went to run he felt guilty and his worries and concerns increased with my mileage. After months of this, it's no wonder he was really starting to resent it!! We talked. Things are much better, but he still stands firm on the "moderation" theory. I told him that we'd have to come to an agreement on what that means for each of us. Final conclusion. We are both very happy that his project from Hell is finally done. It went "live" and is now global and so far things have been going well. He still supports it, but the hours are nothing in comparison to what he had to do this past year. Maybe now I'll get him to run more than 3 or 4 miles at a time! Wouldn't that be funny! Evil grin

Michelle

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

It's means he's pretty damn ugly. Evil grin
                            I was wondering that too. Thanks for the answer. Smile Jilly
                            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                              Michelle: I'm really glad to hear that. A little communication is sometimes all that's needed. Between "species," it can be hard though. And easier said than done as an outsider. ... he still stands firm on the "moderation" theory. I told him that we'd have to come to an agreement on what that means for each of us. Um, just tell him, moderation means you won't be taking up ultras.

Wow, I am not so sure we are not married to separated identical twins.
                                Triplets! Shocked
                                Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.